topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Planet Earth starts tonight  (Read 8446 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Planet Earth starts tonight
« on: March 05, 2006, 04:06 AM »
In the UK this evening is the start of a new 11 part TV series "Planet Earth" which looks amazing.

I'm sure this is going to be franchised around the world so hopefully everyone will get a chance to see it but to whet your appetite check out the BBC website here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...grammes/planetearth/

Have a look at the Planet Earth Explorer which has some amazing clips from the programmes.

There is a sequence filmed in Lechuguilla Cave in New Mexico (being a caver I am really looking forward to this). Apparently it took the BBC 2 years to get permission to film there - it isn't possible to imagine the problems they must have had getting all the equipment in place!! Check under Geology clips at http://www.bbc.co.uk...anetearth/realmedia/

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Planet Earth starts tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 02:36 AM »
Unfortunately you are unable to access this content. This is offered only to audiences in the UK.

Darn UK Crowd TV shows, quit getting my hopes up!

I hope PBS picks this up!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:48 AM »
As far as I can tell it was sponsored not only by the BBC but a number of other broadcasters from around the globe. Doubtless it will get a wide airing. If not I'm sure it will be released on DVD ;)

By the way the best TV series on a similar subject ever made was Earth Story by Aubrey Manning. It was made by the BBC but the rights were acquired by a US company. Now it is available on DVD. If you are interested they are selling it at a knock down price $899.99 (for the 8 episodes).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:49 AM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 04:00 AM »
only $900? why not buy two just in case one dvd gets scratched.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:18 AM »
only $900? why not buy two just in case one dvd gets scratched.

Sure beats recording it off the TV for free!

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 11:45 AM »
By the time we get it here S.A. you'll all have forgotten what it was about...  :tellme:
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 03:35 AM »
The photography is AWESOME.  Snow leopards, even!  Only thing I didn't like was the background music, which I found obtrusive, like where the beats get faster as the hunting dogs close in for the kill.  That's emotionally manipulative.  But the rest is  terrific.

KaysLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 04:12 AM »
I read a few weeks ago that this series was going to be awesome. :up:

I unfortunately missed the first part, but when I watched it yesterday, I was absolutely gob smacked at the scenes of the snow leopard. 

BTW at the start of yesterday show they commented that they had 9 million viewers to the first part.

Regards

KaysLover

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 04:20 AM »
Agreed the Snow Leopard footage was awesome. I had seen a little of that before as the same team produced an earlier programme just on the Snow Leopard - but it ended when they had to leave as one of the team got Mountain sickness. Obviously they had been back to film in the same area and the footage of the mother and cub as well as the hunting were just amazing. What incredible patience these film crews have - 7 weeks on your own in a hide without anything to report!! Either total dedication or completely barmy ;)

I was also very taken with the secret filming of the Panda nursing the baby in the cave.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 04:06 PM »
For those who can't wait for the TV version to arrive in far flung corners of the world the BBC have announced the DVD release. It will be released in December (so you still have to wait) but you can pre-order and get excited at http://www.bbcshop.c...=%3Cvenda_bklist1%3E and the book to accompany the series at http://www.bbcshop.c...=%3Cvenda_bklist1%3E

There is already a really interesting book about the making of the series (with lots of photos) available: http://www.bbcshop.c...=%3Cvenda_bklist1%3E

I'm not sure but I think most of the DVD videos are region 0 (i.e. will play in all regions) but I can't guarantee that on one that hasn't been released yet! Some say Region 2+4 on the box but don't actually seem to be regionally encoded (eg. "Life in the Undergrowth" says region 2+4 but when I use NeroInfo tool it reports no regional encoding).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 12:01 PM by Carol Haynes »

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Thanks Carol for the Info sure is well looking into...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 04:36 AM »
CarolHaynes,

I hope you were rivetted last night?  We've seen pictures of the "guano bats" before, but they had plenty of other things that I hadn't seen, like the Yucatan cenotes.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 05:31 AM »
I loved the caves epsiode (being a bit of spelunker myself).

Have to say though I was a bit disappointed with the Lechuguilla footage. Don't get me wrong it was great, but given they were the last film crew ever likely to be given permission to film there they really didn't even begin to scratch the surface (so to speak).

I realised they were leaving the best until last but 5 minutes to show by far the largest known cave system in the world, and the most unusual ...

Mind you all power to them getting 500kg of equipment that far underground - most people would struggle to get themselves there ;)

Thankfully I have a large collection of photos to drool over ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 07:50 AM »
Have to say though I was a bit disappointed with the Lechuguilla footage.
-Carol Haynes (March 27, 2006, 05:31 AM)

I rather thought the same.  They kept telling you the formations were 6 metres long, but there wasn't really a sense of scale.  I've seen better-lit and more impressive still pictures of British caves.  Maybe the series is trying to do either too much, or too little: it certainly majors on eye candy, but I felt that David Attenborough's own earlier series were more informative.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 09:33 AM »
So that people know what we are talking about here are a couple of photos to wet the appetite (thanks to Dave Bunnell, note that they are copyrighted but I have permission to use up to 5 on a non-commercial website).

If you want to see more of Dave's pictures and what he gets up to have a look at his website at http://www.goodearth...ics.com/under_earth/

Click the thumbnails for larger versions:

balllroom6.jpgPlanet Earth starts tonightblue_giants2.jpgPlanet Earth starts tonight

It is well worth looking at his 'virtual cave' page (link as above) if you want to know more about caves and how they are formed. Note a lot of the terminology is US specific, there are other terms used in other places! For example, Rimstone Pools are called Gour pools in the UK.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:39 AM by Carol Haynes »