topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 2:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IntelliJ IDEs up to 50% off until 30th April 2011  (Read 6759 times)

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IntelliJ IDEs up to 50% off until 30th April 2011
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:35 AM »
http://www.jetbrains...ndex.jsp?home_banner

IntelliJ IDEA 10  - 40% off personal licence
PyCharm 1.2 / PHPStorm 2  - 50% off personal licence
RubyMine 3 - 30% off personal licence

also YouTrack -  50% off any edition

I have been looking at PyCharm and PHPStorm so this offer has come at a good time for me.

I am looking to start some Java (Android) development and since the Java IDEA includes all the language plugins and is equivalent to PyCharm + PHPStorm + RubyMine + more all under the one roof I might consider the full IDEA with 40% off although the eventual upgrade cost will be more than upgrading just 2 of the language specific IDEs.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IntelliJ IDEs up to 50% off until 30th April 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:57 AM »
The Google officially endorsed Android Java development platform is Eclipse with the Google Android (ADT) plug-in. :tellme:

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:15 AM »
IntelliJ have added support for Android development to IDEA (including the Community Edition). Whether or not this is an improvemnt over Eclipse/ADT I would not know.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:21 AM »
I've heard from some Java developers that they like IntelliJ best out of all the Java IDEs. So if you do Java, it's at least worth looking at.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:28 AM »
I've heard from some Java developers that they like IntelliJ best out of all the Java IDEs.
IDE's are as religious a subject as 'the proper programming language' to a lot of developers, so I won't (re)start that discussion here :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I've heard from some Java developers that they like IntelliJ best out of all the Java IDEs.
IDE's are as religious a subject as 'the proper programming language' to a lot of developers, so I won't (re)start that discussion here :P

Very true!

But it never hurts to be open minded and check out some other things. Even if you don't like it in the end, you at least know from first hand experience.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:31 AM »
I have had excellent experience with Jetbrain's PhpStorm. If IntelliJ is similar I expect it to be excellent as well. Some of my hater-friends (they like to rant) like IntelliJ a lot.

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12 AM »
I should have given this the title JetBrains IDEs up to 50% off until 30th April 2011.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01 PM »
JetBrains does good work; their stuff is worth checking out (as Renegade said), even if you ultimately decide it's not to your liking.  The one thing their IDE's do that drives me crazy is make it difficult to do 'non project' file operations.  For example (I'm not sure if these apply to all their IDEs), you can't open an arbitrary text file in the editor, you can only open files that are part of the project; you can't "Save as...", you have to use a refactoring menu option to rename a file.

As irritating as these things are to me at times, I still use their IDEs for the small amount of Ruby-related work I do and sometimes for PHP work.

bscott

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 06:00 AM »
After evaluating PHPStorm/PyCharm/IntelliJ IDEA and Wingware IDEs I have now bought IntelliJ IDEA at 40% off. Although IntelliJ includes PHPStorm and PyCharm they are a little out of step, with the language specific IDEs being slightly ahead. So, for example, whilst Python remote debugging works in PyCharm it currently doesn't in ItelliJ IDEA with the PyCharm plug-in. There are several other minor differences as a result of PyCharm/PHPStorm being built with later releases of the core IntelliJ platform.

I really liked Wing IDE with it's major plus points for me being the debugger and Mako template support but in the end the multi language support and 40% discount won the day.