topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Elgan: Why digg failed  (Read 4882 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Elgan: Why digg failed
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:39 AM »
OK, I'm going to call it: Digg is dead.

No, the site hasn't gone dark. It still functions and has millions of users. But then so does MySpace.

I used to be a very active Digg user -- as were many of my techno-journalist-pundit type friends. Five years ago, Digg was the future of content discovery. But now I don't personally know anyone who's still an active user. We've all moved on.

Now, it turns out, even one of the site's founders and former CEOs, Kevin Rose, barely uses Digg anymore.

In a devastating analysis this week, TechCrunch founder Michael Arrington exposed Rose's Digg usage. According to Arrington, Rose uses Digg less than once every four days or so. He hasn't submitted a story in more than a month. And he went more than three weeks in December without using Digg at all.

Arrington pointed out that Rose is 26 times more active on Twitter than on Digg, having tweeted 181 times in the past month.

Arrington's numbers have been called into question by blogger Taylor Buley, who says Rose is twice as active as claimed. In other words, he's only 14 times more active on Twitter than Digg.

To me, the most telling bit in all this is that, as of this writing, the story about Rose not using Digg hasn't even made it to the front page of Digg. And Rose defended himself not on Digg but on Twitter, tweeting to Arrington that "I think you forgot we shoot a weekly podcast about digg stories. "

Even the Internet's most important conversation about Digg isn't taking place on Digg.

What went wrong? How did Digg become so unappealing that even its founder and former CEO didn't want to use it?

Source

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Elgan: Why digg failed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35 AM »
ugh... no personal insult intended Josh but if you're going to post a teaser paragraph, maybe save it for content that's actually worth it?

It just feels like I've been link baited. IMO anything that starts with Digg was undemocratic is a sure sign of writers either not doing their research or padding up the importance of Digg's "symbolic" hype without understanding that majority of users simply didn't care for that and the pudding is in the sentence about Twitter.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Elgan: Why digg failed
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Digg hit a low point for me when I closed one particularly annoying promoted article that was appearing daily and found it further down the same page. Winning!

I still browse there, they usually have more mainstream content than Reddit, but I have a lot more fun browsing Reddit.