topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 7:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ever wondered what happens to all the old hardware when you move office  (Read 4999 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

this might be a clue (is your old office in here?)

Eerie world of abandoned computers

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was hoping that stuff would be recycled; there is gold in there after all. And lots of poisonous stuff too!

Some of the pictures look a little off though, they seem to lack the basic ingredient of abandonment: dust.

Still I am sucker for pictures of abandoned facilities or post-apocalyptic things; nice find!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

this might be a clue (is your old office in here?)

Eerie world of abandoned computers

Old office be damned, that's my new place!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This pic reminded me of some place I used to work, while I still worked there:

0,1425,i=251605&sz=1,00.jpg

Back in the early 90's I worked for a courier company that rented a few rooms in what was the oldest building at Newark Airport. This is an historical landmark that contained the very first control tower in North America.

When I worked there, it had seen better days. Most of the building was abandoned. Only airport security in the front, on the 2nd floor, and my office in the back on the ground floor. It was kind of creepy and cool to work there.

On the first day we were there, there was a bunch of us that showed up to set up and clean the space we would be using. It was full of ancient abandoned office junk.  The room across from our 2 room office was nicknamed "The Museum" and contained anything and everything we decided wasn't useful or in good enough condition for us to use in our office. It was already full of junk, and we pushed twice as much junk in there when we were cleaning up our space.

I used to love to go exploring in the building when I had no work to do. The floor out in the main section had a tile mosaic with the names of a whole bunch of airlines that don't exist any more. I once went all the way to the opposite wing, to the front corner of the building and discovered an office that had belonged to another courier company 20 years earlier. I still have the hand-made rate book I found inside one of the desks...it looked pretty much like ours, but the listings were about 1/3 the price.  :D

No computer equipment in there though (not even in our office)...but it seemed like there was the entire history of staplers to be found....and I think my supervisor and I may have killed off most of them trying to staple together rate books.  :D

Eventually they decided that they wouldn't rent out office space in the building any more, and a huge project was undertaken to move the building to another location and restore it, after they decided to lengthen the runway behind it.

This is what the building looked like ages ago:

ewr2.jpg

This is where my office was:

ewr1-office.png

And this is what it looks like today:

ewr168a.jpg ewr168c.jpg

And the inside restored:

ewr168b.jpg

And these pages have photos and some details of the move:

http://www.ettc.net/...s/details.cfm?ID=785
http://science.howst...-building-moved4.htm
http://www.achp.gov/news-faa-award.html
http://www.pbworld.c...estoration_59746.asp

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:14 PM by app103 »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks App :Thmbsup:

love those old buildings, though I think that one lost something in the translation - I can't decide if fits too well in it's new context (and loses it's histerical identity), or if it doesn't fit at all

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
love those old buildings

Don't love them too much... They'll all be like that once the Zombie Apocalypse arrives on December 12th, 2012~! :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Don't love them too much... They'll all be like that once the Zombie Apocalypse arrives on December 12th, 2012~! :P

he, that day comes hopefully I'll be on the side with all the big guns ('come get some' as someone once said...)