topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Password protect folder using right-click context menu  (Read 8506 times)

mstabile

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Password protect folder using right-click context menu
« on: March 03, 2011, 12:30 PM »
In windows, I wish there was a simple way to password-protect a folder.  I would right-click a folder and the context menu would allow me to assign (or remove) a password to open a folder.  Subsequently, whenever anyone tries to open the folder, they would need to enter a password.

Also, password entry would be bypassed in cases of moving a folder to another location on the drive, or when copying or backing up the folder.

Finally, if the folder is copied or moved, the password protection would still remain (as part of the folder's properties).  So if someone copies the folder (e.g. for nefarious reasons) they still couldn't access the files without the password.

I'm a budget manager in a hospital and I have numerous confidential files on my desktop and would like to have a way of adding a layer of protection.

Thank you very much for your consideration of my request!

Mike

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Password protect folder using right-click context menu
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:37 PM »
This is not a trivial thing to program so I would recommend you look at the following applications:

AxCrypt: http://www.axantum.com/
TrueCrypt: http://www.truecrypt.org/

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to set a decent password on the account and, (IIRC), then answer Yes to Make all my files private?

And don't lose the password.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I can see how this could be handy - quick access and the ability to have a different password with each folder.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:25 AM »
I have numerous confidential files on my desktop

That's where the confusion is: You shouldn't store documents on your desktop. They ought to go in the (My) Documents folder, that is supposedly stored on the network-server (assuming you have a Windows Active Directory controlled network), so you can access them from any place you logon to the network. Password protecting the PC is a natural and enforced requirement, including screensaver lock, I reckon. If you don't have these facilities, then your administrator has made a few mistakes...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:46 AM »
1) Don't store stuff directly on your desktop - make a shortcut to a folder in "My Documents" (or wherever) instead.
2) Depending on how the machine and network is setup, you might be able to depend on NTFS access rights to protect the files; this is slightly more complicated than right-clicking and selecting "password protect", but it's secure(*) and hassle-free while running. Hassle-free does mean that if you're logged in, there's access without entering passwords. Morale? Never leave your machine without hitting Win+L.
3) If you need high-grade security, go for TrueCrypt.

(*): but if somebody has administrative access to your machine, or in the case of roaming user data on a network, the document server, they have access to your files.
- carpe noctem