topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Weird behavior in remote desktop  (Read 9151 times)

jcollum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Weird behavior in remote desktop
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:48 AM »
When I use gridmove in remote desktop, it behaves strangely. I press Win-G and the overlay comes up. But then I press a number and it gets typed in to the window that's active, not gridmove's number button. Anyone have a suggestion for fixing this?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Weird behavior in remote desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I'm not sure why that happens, but you may try using the direct shortcuts for each grid element (win+1, win+2, etc).
Does this work?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Hotkeys and remote desktop are notoriously unpredictable, are you running the RDP session windowed or full screen? Full screen sessions generally make for much more predictable hotkey use.

Just a Thought... :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Stoic Joker: I think the problem is not related to hotkeys, but rather with window focus. After pressing win+g, apparently the window focus is not in GridMove's overlay, but in the other window (thus the number is typed into the window).

jcollum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Stoic Joker: I think the problem is not related to hotkeys, but rather with window focus. After pressing win+g, apparently the window focus is not in GridMove's overlay, but in the other window (thus the number is typed into the window).

I can get the number keys to work in RD, but it's inconsistent. I'll try it more and see if I can see a pattern.

jcollum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:58 PM »
I can get the number keys to work in RD, but it's inconsistent. I'll try it more and see if I can see a pattern.

It does seem to be some sort of focus issue. For instance, if I use Notepad++ then win-G then 9, the number gets typed into the notepad. But using win-G then 9 with outlook, Gridmove "gets" the button press. Beyond that, no idea what's going on. With Visual Studio, VS sometimes gets the button press and other times GM does.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:59 PM by jcollum »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:10 PM »
What's the OS you are RDP-ing into?

On Win7 hotkey <Win-G> is used to activate the Sidebar gadgets, so focus wouldn't go to GridMove anyway :P

jcollum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 01:29 PM »
What's the OS you are RDP-ing into?

On Win7 hotkey <Win-G> is used to activate the Sidebar gadgets, so focus wouldn't go to GridMove anyway :P

I don't think that's accurate. I use Win7 on all three systems that I use Gridmove on (Home, Work, Work-via-RDP) and Win+G works on it when the RDP isn't involved.

I suspect there's some sort of delay involved. If I press Win-G then wait 2 seconds or so, it seems like I have better luck with it.