topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1 released  (Read 7225 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 7 SP1 released
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:10 PM »
So the rumors were right, SP1 has been released today!

edit: Offline install Download Center link.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:13 PM by Eóin »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 7 SP1 released
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 03:37 PM »
MSDN seems a bit busy - transfer not starting... (hehe)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Is there anything especially interesting in there, or is it just something that'll eventually become mandatory, which is better off install-postponing until others have tested the waters?
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:57 PM »
I'm just after the with SP1 install images to eliminate a few hours of update downloading on reinstalls. :)

Other than that I don't recall hearing of anything earth shatteringly new in it.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:19 PM »
basically anyone who had their computer on automatic updates wouldn't actually need this SP1, right? but like the rest of you, i'm gonna download the offline install image just to save bandwidth in the future. :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Anyone with automatic updates set will get this automatically. In fact I have just checked for updates and it is there now (in the UK anyway - they often do this regionally). If you don't want to make this update for a while change you automatic update settings from Auto to "tell me and let me chose"

MS have a habit of forcing updates like this or you can't get further updates - but they usually give you a fairly long period in which to make the move.

Confusing set of updates on the downloads page - do you actually NEED to install the symbols packs - and if you do should you install both for your architecture (Free and Checked) or just one ?

I presume the symbols packs are only useful if you use a debugger - but presumably they are also needed to interpret system dumps if you are unlucky enough to get a BSOD ??

Also does the ISO install the correct symbol files if you use that to do the install - and does the ISO contain the prerequisite update KB2454826 ?

For anyone not sure what they are doing MS go out of their way to cause even more confusion! They recommend you don't download to update one computer - so presumably if you are using 2, 3 or 4 computers they recommend you do download to cut down on bandwidth and time wasted.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:08 PM by Carol Haynes »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:22 AM »
They had an update mid way through last month that suddenly decided my Win7 computer was suddenly non-genuine.

I took it as an opportunity to re-install the computer but decided against installing that particular update and lo and behold, it was removed a week later.

I think I'll be waiting until SJ has been running it a month or so before I install it :P

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:20 AM »
They had an update mid way through last month that suddenly decided my Win7 computer was suddenly non-genuine.

You got that one too?!? I thought I was special...  :(

It showed up on my Win7 x64 Pro dev machine about the same time, but revalidated after a reboot or two (I'm thinking at some point it reinstalled part of the WGA stuff, but I wasn't really paying attention).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27 AM »
Some good stuff in there based on info published on TechNet. Mostly "under the hood" type improvements so don't expect much in the way of earthshaking new features.

I don't see anything so overwhelmingly important that it can't wait a week or six for the feeding frenzy to subside - and the inevitable gremlins to be discovered and patched.

Barring any surprises surfacing, W7-SP1 looks like it will be part of my system's annual Spring cleaning since I usually migrate all my Windows hardware over to the latest OS once the first service pack comes out.

S'long XP! It's been fun. Mostly. Maybe we can get together and talk about 'old times' on a nice VM someday, huh? :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:43 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31 AM »
basically anyone who had their computer on automatic updates wouldn't actually need this SP1, right? but like the rest of you, i'm gonna download the offline install image just to save bandwidth in the future. :)

That's usually the smartest move. Grab the offline version and slipstream it to create an updated Win7 install DVD or USB. Very handy thing to keep around.  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:33 AM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11 PM »
You got that one too?!? I thought I was special...  :(

You are!

To Microsoft you are a highly valued wallet...customer.  :D

It showed up on my Win7 x64 Pro dev machine about the same time, but revalidated after a reboot or two (I'm thinking at some point it reinstalled part of the WGA stuff, but I wasn't really paying attention).

Yes, it was a WGA update so after I re-installed I did every update except that one.  After about a week it disappeared from the list of updates, (I only get notified, not auto-update), so I could have possibly waited to see if my machine came good but I took it as an opportunity to fix some other things that had gone screwy in the OS, (eg. VSS wasn't working anymore).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Okay, running with Win7 x64 SP1 now on the home dev machine. Haven't done much (just logged in after reboot), but it went surprisingly quick (5-10min) and still runs...

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Running it myself, had been planning a reinstall anyway so did one with SP1 slipstreamed. All seems to be fine.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Installed on Win7 64 here without any noticeable issues.