topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Floating Point Overflow  (Read 8253 times)

redwingnut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Floating Point Overflow
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:55 PM »
I just installed SC ver 2.89.01 and after capturing selected region (shift/Prt Scrn) and clicking on "Print Image" I get the Floating Point Overflow.  I use v2.78.01 on another pc via printer HP Color LaserJet 2600N networked on a home LAN system with no problems.  In summary, pc with 2.78 prints fine on HP2600N, pc with 2.89 does not print and yields the FPO error.  Any ideas?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Floating Point Overflow
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:01 PM »
now that is strange.
how did you trigger the print image -- if you didn't do it from the menu, can you try that?

redwingnut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I used both the task bar menu (bottom right) and the Capture menu.  Also used the hot keys Shift/prt scrn while the task bar icon was active.  After choosing "Print Image" from all three gave me the same results.  The same capture but choosing "Image To Clipboard" then pasted into WordPad, works fine.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24 PM »
that is really strange.. if you copied your settings from one pc to another it might pay to exit, delete your screenshotcaptor.ini file and restart.. im trying ot think what might be wrong.. it sounds like some value in the print settings is messed up.. but i cant think of what... do you have a default printer set on the computer?

redwingnut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Deleted screenshotcaptor.ini file and restarted SC as suggested, repeated steps to print, same results.   :(

redwingnut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:52 PM »
I did a few tests with some good results.

Previous results:
PC "A" - worked fine with version 2.78.01 printing to a network printer HP CLJ 2600N
PC "B" - new install with version 2.89.01 produced the msg. Floating Point Overflow

New events:
PC "A" - updated from 2.78.01 to 2.89.01 and printed fine to HP2600N
PC "B" - uninstall & reinstall 2.89.01 - same message. No print.

Printers on LAN system:
HP Laser ColorJet 2600N using RJ45 as a network printer with drivers on PC "A"
HP OfficeJet G55 using USB as a shared printer with drivers on PC "A"
HP LaserJet 6P using parallel port as a shared printer with drivers on PC "A"

These printers are used from the mentioned "A" & "B" and both computers can print from any windows based program with no issues, other than SCREENSHOT CAPTOR.

Additional tests:
PC "A" - 2.89.01 Image Prints to any one of the three printers.
PC "B" - 2.89.01 Image Prints to G55 & 6P, but not to 2600N, whether it's default or chosen from the list of printers in the dialog window.  I hope I explained that clear enough to understand.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:58 PM by redwingnut »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 05:12 PM »
I am not mouser, but if I were devving a program with this sort of error, I'd be interested in knowing how PC "B" acts when you install 2.78.01 on that one and print from it. If that also causes the error it would not be a 'new' bug but instead either a very old one that never got noticed, or a bug in the printer driver that only SC triggers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:40 PM »
what worstje is asking would be useful.. however i also see a new release of the graphics library i use, so let me try building a new version of SC this weekend and let's see if we get lucky and it fixes the issue.

redwingnut

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Floating Point Overflow ++RESOLVED++
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:22 AM »
As a reminder, I had reported that a "Floating Point" error was generated when I attempted to print to a shared printer (HP2600N) on my home LAN setup if the PC requesting the print DID NOT have the full drivers installed on it.  But, other shared printers printed just fine.  Only the one PC with the full driver install could print to the HP2600.
Here's how I have my system setup at home:
PC "A" is my main unit, server if you may.  I do not use it for web surfing at all.  On this PC "A" I installed all peripherals like printers and their respective drivers on it, external drives and all major software like CAD, Office packages, Photo editors and others.  That's where I do the intensive work.  Some folders and printers are shared with other PCs on the LAN setup.  PC "B" and others are used for other purposes, mostly internet.  That way if I pick up a virus on any of these PCs that was not detected and forces a complete system rebuild, I have minimum work to reinstall software.  The large registered/expensive software are still active in PC "A".  OK, back to the issue.  All other PCs (excluding PC "A"), do not have printer drivers installed on them, because WinXP (my OS) installs something, I don't know what, enough to access the peripherals like printers installed on PC "A" via the LAN setup.  I hope you understood this winded write up.  Following the installation of SCREENSHOT CAPTOR, I could only print the image on the HP2600N printer from PC "A", which has the printer drivers.
Behind the scene:
Mouser have been good enough and patient to correspond via PMs trying to resolve this issue with numerous patches that did not have satisfactory results.  He never gave up and neither did I.
  :-[I finally decided to venture into other "Print Screen" programs to emulate the issue I have.  Happy to report that the issue is related to the Printer family I have, NOT SSC.  These are HP1600 (USB only), HP2600 & HP2600N (USB and RJ45 for LAN).  All other printers I tested can print from "ScreenShot Captor" from any PC on the LAN network without the necessary drivers installed.
So I installed the drivers for the HP2600N on these other PCs and I can print as required from SSC.

MOUSER tried to resolve the issue, but without these printers on hand it would be difficult.  Again I thank you MOUSER for the program and help you provided and hope my input can help someone else.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56 AM »
It's good to see that your printing issues are resolved, and thank you for posting here about the solution.
Thanks, too, for clarifying that it was NOT the fault of mouser's excellent Screenshot Captor.

Happy printing!