topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to remove 6741afb79c635b436c393169e8c1a754 folder from my Ext HDD !  (Read 3026 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello folks , two days back i installed dotnetframework on my friends PC, and after the installation this folder by the name of 6741afb79c635b436c393169e8c1a754 which had amd64 and i386 were created on my External HDD ( i had copied the dotnetframework from my Ext HDD to his D:\ , on checking the attributes it was read only, i changed and unchecked the read only from the Properties and tried to delete it ,still no good.
 I tried it from DOS to remove it too, i dont know what to make of it and how to remove it completly, the Properties doesn't show any file size 0 bytes.
I insatlled Unlocker with the same results,,,,, its really bugging me,,,, :o :o :o

These files/folder were created after installing Dotnetframwork 3.5 (232 MB), which was needed for the last Giveaway , if u remember, SimplyGoodPictures

What do i do :(
Any assistance is greatly and warmly welcomed.....
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The new MS installers pick the drive with the most free space for their temp stuff extraction, and it was your external drive that won the match ;)
You may need to return to that friend and use the same account on his PC to be able to remove the directory, if you can't after taking ownership of that directory. (That's hiding behind one of several Advanced buttons in that Properties screen) Also be sure not to access the directory with Explorer before your try to remove it, it might get locked by Explorer scanning it's content and also the AV scanning it again.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Open an elevated cmd.exe prompt (THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DOS!), then run cacls "with the correct arguments" to take ownership of the folder.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...And for those with the Home version of the OS, that aren't entirely comfortable at the command line. You can access the NTFS permissions GUI/Tab in safe mode.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The new MS installers pick the drive with the most free space for their temp stuff extraction, and it was your external drive that won the match ;)
You may need to return to that friend and use the same account on his PC to be able to remove the directory, if you can't after taking ownership of that directory. (That's hiding behind one of several Advanced buttons in that Properties screen) Also be sure not to access the directory with Explorer before your try to remove it, it might get locked by Explorer scanning it's content and also the AV scanning it again.
Thank you for your suggestion that really worked, although i havn't tried the Cacls method,,,,,great advice though.
"Thank you"
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense