topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FolderSize o DirectorySize with rules or filters  (Read 19611 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FolderSize o DirectorySize with rules or filters
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:38 PM »
I am going mad because the behaviour of dropbox and syncless to synchronize several folders. Syncless writes changes control inside each folder affects.
The name of these folders are : .syncless (hidden) and _synclessArchive.

I would like to control the size of a group of folders "discounting" the size of these folders : .syncless and _synclessArchive.
Really I only need to select a windows folder and determine its size discounting all the .syncless and _synclessArchive may contain inside it.

I hope you can help me.

Example : the folder Fol1 contains ten subfolders (two of them are those of syncless) and the other eight contains four subfolders each one (two of them are those of syncless). I wan to know the total size of the folder Fol1 discounting the size of the syncless type folders.....

Best Regards

Of course any other program with more possibilities is welcome.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FolderSize o DirectorySize with rules or filters
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Nobody knows ?  :(

I think something like this may help me :
"File Manipulator

File Manipulator is the ultimate file/folder manipulation utility. It allows you to create self-contained Droplets to Move, Copy, Delete, and Rename files/folders, Change File Types and Creators, Log files, and more. You can limit which files are manipulated using a variety of powerful criteria, including Size, Label, Name, Attributes, Comments, Image Type, Version, etc. File Manipulator and the Droplets created by it run natively on Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X."

But for windows.

The idea of conditions seems perfect.

Best Regards

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:05 PM »
i think something like Directory Opus could be used or any other decent file manager program.

you would do it be viewing the parent folder in "flat view" mode. this kind of view reveals all sub folders and files (within the parent folder).

the normal "tree" parent/child view becomes "flat" so you see everything together.

after that, you could list the folders by name and easily select the ones you want to know the sizes of (or deselect the ones you don't).

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:31 PM »
I'll try and comments.
I hope can save a view of a folder excluding certain elements and display the desired information as the folder size discounting thos elements

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:59 PM »
DOpus can definitely do that. You can select files based on all sorts of clever rules, and as nudone says, that if combined with 'flat' view should work quite well.

There's a very good support forum for DOpus which would probably have the details already.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I think you might be able to do what you want with SpaceSniffer.  You can certainly exclude files with the Filter, but, the Attributes list doesn't contain the Directory Attribute, so I'm not certain.  Perhaps you could contact Uderzo to ask.  However, at least for files, look at the unfiltered vs. filtered screenshots below.

[Edit 2011-01-09, 20:55-] TreeSize [/Edit] looks like it can do what you want, but, you have to have one of the payware versions, either Personal or Pro.  Filtering isn't listed in the free version.  And it may not be worth paying if you have already have adequate features in your file manager.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:48 PM by rjbull »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Exists a freeware option ?

Best Regards.
Directory Opus seems very good program.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08 PM »
I think you might be able to do what you want with SpaceSniffer.  You can certainly exclude files with the Filter, but, the Attributes list doesn't contain the Directory Attribute, so I'm not certain.  Perhaps you could contact Uderzo to ask.  However, at least for files, look at the unfiltered vs. filtered screenshots below.

[Edit 2011-01-09, 20:55-] TreeSize [/Edit] looks like it can do what you want, but, you have to have one of the payware versions, either Personal or Pro.  Filtering isn't listed in the free version.  And it may not be worth paying if you have already have adequate features in your file manager.

I will comment
This is not a operation i am going to do everyday. So I need a freeware.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:10 PM »
rjbull , I was looking freeCommander and seems to have filter with files. But I don't see folder filter.
I'll comment.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:24 PM »
SpaceSniffer accomplish perfectly well his function, but I think is not initially prepared to filter folders or save a filter over a folder with subfolders and give parameters about that.

I don't understand, but I think don't give me all subfolders in the example i try over my pc. .......Empty folders don't appear. But I have one occupied and also don't appear.
I'll try comment with uderzo.
Best Regards

The filter is only in affirmative way (inclusions), not exclusions I think.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:30 PM by Contro »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52 PM »
I put an email to Uderzo. i think small folders are not considered. But my folder contains two important dwg files. So I think is not a good space sniff.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:17 PM »
In Folder options of Directory Opus how can i propose several folders (how can I separate or something)

I try with , ... ; ... : ... / ... with no results.

Is it permitted to use several folders real or with the use of wild cards only ?

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8585/screenshot1001201101090.png

How can I configure the listing of a folder to know or see the sizes of the subfolders ?

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/91/screenshot1001201101164.png

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Total subfolder count seems to be for the second question i did......

pending the first

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Go to the View menu, and choose "Flat View" - there are three options, so you'll need to find the one you like.

The help is pretty good, and the support forum is here:
http://www.gpsoft.com.au/Support.html

They know a lot more than I do!

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I put the doubt there.

Best Regards

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 03:08 AM »
i'd do it how timns explained. though, i do have a few buttons that do the same job so i don't go through the menus.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:54 AM »
Go to the View menu, and choose "Flat View" - there are three options, so you'll need to find the one you like.

Dunno if this any help:

I think the flat views show a "Location" column by default which shows the path (if not, you can add columns as in Explorer)
If you sort by that, the files and folders will be grouped according to the path.
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Nice indeed.
I continue some doubts in the specific forum.
 :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00 AM »
SpaceSniffer [...] but I think is not initially prepared to filter folders or save a filter over a folder with subfolders
I don't see any way to save filters from session to session.  But, you say you aren't going to do this very often anyway.

I don't understand, but I think don't give me all subfolders in the example i try over my pc. .......Empty folders don't appear.
I would guess that they are there, but don't show up on the space map either (a) because they're too small or (b) because you have to zoom in to a folder to see its subfolders.  But, I think all subfolders are counted.

The filter is only in affirmative way (inclusions), not exclusions I think.
Exclusions are definitely permitted, and were used in my earlier post:
Example *.jpg;>100kb;>2weeks
        :red;:yellow
        :tag:red+yellow
        :tag:r+y
        |*.exe;|*.dll
        :attr:a+h-s
        :attr:a,h,-s
        |:attr:a
        :attr:-a
(|) = starting '|' (pipe) negates

uuderzo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Uderzo Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20 AM »
I put an email to Uderzo. i think small folders are not considered. But my folder contains two important dwg files. So I think is not a good space sniff.

Small folders are considered, but not necessarily shown on video due to the small screen area. However, their size is considered in the computation of the parent folder size.

You may want to try lowering the "Min element size" parameter in the configuration dialog to check if the small folder appears. If it doesn't appear it means it's too small (consider that the main purpose of SpaceSniffer is to find big elements, not small elements) but, still, it is considered in the parent size. It's only a display "issue".

You may want to check it by using the File/Export function. This function will export each filtered item, even the smallest one.

In next version (1.1.3.0 few days to release) there will be more filtering/exporting capabilities. I'll try to squeeze into the new version also a "filter by folder name" function.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Greetings! Umberto Uderzo

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:39 PM »
 :)

Sure.
I'll comment.
Best Regards

uuderzo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Uderzo Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 02:23 AM »
Well... i think i managed to add the filter for folder name feature. At least the positive filter. I'll need to think more about the negative (exclusion) filter.

Anyway... the semanthics is the following:

Say you want to filter folders by name, you are looking for temp folder. Then you type "\temp" as filter pattern (*, ? are supported). The backslash is the switch that tells SpaceSniffer that you want to apply the rule to folders instead of files.

SpaceSniffer will show all files which path contains the "temp" folder. All files directly under the root search (drive) are automatically excluded because the drive is not a folder. So, if a file has complete path, say "c:\program files\myapp\temp\abc\log.txt", it will be included by the filter. This means that if the temp folder contains any other number of folders, all of them are included because all of them share the temp folder.

Is this behavior correct?

Umberto

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Well... i think i managed to add the filter for folder name feature. At least the positive filter. I'll need to think more about the negative (exclusion) filter.
[...]
Say you want to filter folders by name, you are looking for temp folder. Then you type "\temp" as filter pattern (*, ? are supported). The backslash is the switch that tells SpaceSniffer that you want to apply the rule to folders instead of files.

Umberto, the current version of SpaceSniffer doesn't appear to support the Directory attribute...  if that's still with us in Vista onwards (I'm an old-time DOS person).  Would it help to support that directly, or is that in effect what you're doing?

uuderzo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Uderzo Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 03:16 PM »
RJ, can you please elaborate on this? I know that there is the directory attribute and i use it internally. I don't see any point in exposing this attribute to the user. But perhaps it's me i don't see it.

I mean, in SpaceSniffer folders are "file filter driven": they appear only if the filter populates them with files (or other folders that are recursively populated ecc ecc...). So, telling SpaceSniffer to filter only folders is useless because they will be empty. I understand the use of a folder name filter anyway.

If you can list an example of use of the directory attribute it would be nice so we can elaborate on this.

Thank you! Umberto

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 03:58 PM »
RJ, can you please elaborate on this? I know that there is the directory attribute and i use it internally. I don't see any point in exposing this attribute to the user.
[...] telling SpaceSniffer to filter only folders is useless because they will be empty.

Umberto, (a) I was getting confused (b) I used DOS so long it conditions the way I think  :-[
The OP wanted a way to exclude certain directories from the listing.  In a DOS program, I'd expect to state a wildcard spec plus Directory attribute, which would mean exclude matching directories.  It now occurs to me that this leads to ambiguity, because as I understand it, DOS handles directories rather as empty files.  So does excluding a directory only exclude the "directory file" itself, or does it also exclude the contents as well, as the OP wanted?  It now sounds like you've implemented a way to do the latter, which would suit the OP.

Sorry, muddle-headed owing to too many late nights on the computer...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:00 PM by rjbull »