topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can one "subscibe" to another member?"  (Read 7139 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can one "subscibe" to another member?"
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I hope I am not duplicating another thread as I have tried a search, but it was unfruitful.

I have examined the "My Profile" options, but have not found where I can subscribe to certain members.  I see there is an "Ignore" feature, but I need the opposite functionality.  

There are numerous wise and intelligent folks that frequent these cyber hallways and it would be nice to know when they are stirring about.  :Thmbsup:

So, how do I subscribe to particular members, or is that somehow considered "stalking" or "invasion of privacy" or some such rot?

Thanks.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can one "subscibe" to another member?"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 03:09 AM »
If you are willing to use an RSS reader, this can be done by using the members ID number as explained here.

Maybe mouser could add it to the RSS autodiscovery on profile pages so when you click the RSS icon in the addressbar of your browser, it will be listed in the options.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:11 AM »
Not sure what it does, but there is a "buddy list" system. Go to My Profile from the top menu (forum) then Edit Buddies on the left.

- Oshyan

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:46 PM »
@App - Thanks for that bit of knowledge.  I wasn't aware that was possible.  Hmmm... the "...if you are willing..." part sounds ominous.  Do you use this RSS method, yourself?  Do you like it?

@JavaJones - I saw the "Buddy List" too, but like you, I don't know what it is about either?   

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:11 PM »
I do, but in a non-traditional social feed reader that is perfect for this type of thing. I use friendfeed's private group feature to create "imaginary friends" to follow that nobody but me can see. I add feeds and user names from various sites and services, give them an avatar, and it's just as if they had signed up on the site and made an account...but only I can see it.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41 PM »
I do, but in a non-traditional social feed reader that is perfect for this type of thing. I use friendfeed's private group feature to create "imaginary friends" to follow that nobody but me can see. I add feeds and user names from various sites and services, give them an avatar, and it's just as if they had signed up on the site and made an account...but only I can see it.

I can't pretend I fully understand exactly what you are describing, but I get the gist. If it's not too much trouble, could you explain it in detail either here or in a PM?  If it's your own "brew" it's ok if you skip it.  Thanks.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Well, it's pretty simple.

So, let's say I know someone from DC, and I want to follow them, and I know they are also on twitter, last.fm, have a blog, etc. but they don't have a friendfeed account, so I can't follow them there. On friendfeed, I set up an "imaginary friend" by making a new group and setting it to be private (my eyes only) and add all the services info so it pulls all that publicly accessible stuff into one page, but also pulls it into a category page I set up where I have all the rest of my DC friends (including ones that joined friendfeed), and pulls it into my home feed where all the stuff and people I am following are displayed.

It's pretty good for keeping up with people that won't join the service, that way you don't have to bounce between a million sites to keep up with what they are posting all over the web.

If you would like to try it out, I could help you, guide you along. Just join friendfeed, subscribe to me, I'll subscribe back and then we can chat privately in real-time through a direct message (you won't be able to message me till I subscribe back).

Gotta warn you though...

• it is a social networking site, but you don't have to use it as such.
  • it is owned by facebook, although it has a completely different privacy policy

if you decide to subscribe to real friendfeed users...the culture is quite different than facebook

• much more community oriented (a lot like here)
  • much more discussion oriented (a lot like here)
  • full of quite intelligent geeky people with a wacky sense of humor (a lot like here)
  • and it is an uncensored free speech zone, where people rarely mark stuff as NSFW and someone may post something you could find offensive, and your only recourse is to click the link to hide the item, unsubscribe from the person, or block them if the stuff is coming through the "friend of a friend" feature.

And this invitation is open to any DC member that wants my assistance, just let me know who you are so I subscribe back and put you on my DC list.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:05 AM »
Well, it's pretty simple.
it is an uncensored free speech zone, where people rarely mark stuff as NSFW and someone may post something you could find offensive, and your only recourse is to click the link to hide the item, unsubscribe from the person, or block them if the stuff is coming through the "friend of a friend" feature.

@App - Sounds great and thanks!  I'll have to get back to you real soon.  As far as the NSFW thing goes, I've changed my perspective.  I still prefer not to have to deal with it and I've always been sincere in my actions, but I've come to understand what is in the heart of a person is to precious to fracture with rules and regulations.  Don't get me wrong, I still live true to my heart, but I want to give people the the ability to do the same.  People are what's most important.  :)

Talk to you soon!