topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Downloading Eclipse... ...noisufnoC  (Read 3500 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Downloading Eclipse... ...noisufnoC
« on: November 14, 2010, 04:28 AM »
Sigh...

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, 99 MB
Eclipse Classic 3.6.1, 170 MB
Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, 206 MB
Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers, 88 MB
Eclipse for PHP Developers, 141 MB
Eclipse IDE for JavaScript Web Developers, 108 MB
Eclipse Modeling Tools (includes Incubating components), 249 MB
Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers, 241 MB
Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers, 188 MB
Pulsar for Mobile Developers, 122 MB
Eclipse SOA Platform for Java and SOA Developers (includes Incubating components), 188 MB

And then there's 32 and 64 bit for each... And then there are different versions... And different SDKs require different versions of Eclipse... But don't tell you which 1 of the above is the right version of Eclipse... And then the product comparison matrix doesn't help you... And then...

Really... Like WTF? Isn't Eclipse the most confusing thing? Even just trying to download it is confusing. Like which one do you want/need?

Is it just me?

And yeah... Installing a new SDK that requires god knows what...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Downloading Eclipse... ...noisufnoC
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:54 AM »
I am also very confused by all these options.

They say eclipse is a framework upon which applications can be built. So it's like a "transportation vehicle" with varying characteristics: motorbike, car, pick-up truck, and so on.

You need to know what you need, to get what you want or so... I think eclipse.org could do a better job of presenting their products.

For PHP development I have turned away from eclipse and towards the commercial version of PhpStorm from jetbrains. At work we use both eclipse and netbeans, and more and more collegues are dumping eclipse in favor of netbeans (especially after that bloody helios release).

Back in the olden days when I earned my money with Java programming, I had a superb IDE called Together from TogetherSoft. It was later bought by Borland and incorporated into their JBuilder, which by now is also built on top of eclipse I believe. Together was the best IDE I have ever encountered, even after this many years I haven't seen anything close.

Back to eclipse: You can start with the most basic download, and get all the other components by its plugin feature. But sometimes (often?) it is not really clear what a component does, even after reading its description.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:55 PM »
I am also very confused by all these options.

They say eclipse is a framework upon which applications can be built. So it's like a "transportation vehicle" with varying characteristics: motorbike, car, pick-up truck, and so on.

You need to know what you need, to get what you want or so... I think eclipse.org could do a better job of presenting their products.

For PHP development I have turned away from eclipse and towards the commercial version of PhpStorm from jetbrains. At work we use both eclipse and netbeans, and more and more collegues are dumping eclipse in favor of netbeans (especially after that bloody helios release).

Back in the olden days when I earned my money with Java programming, I had a superb IDE called Together from TogetherSoft. It was later bought by Borland and incorporated into their JBuilder, which by now is also built on top of eclipse I believe. Together was the best IDE I have ever encountered, even after this many years I haven't seen anything close.

Back to eclipse: You can start with the most basic download, and get all the other components by its plugin feature. But sometimes (often?) it is not really clear what a component does, even after reading its description.

Sigh... Yeah... Ended up going with this one: eclipse-SDK-3.6.1-win32-x86_64

I supposed that I'm just lazy a lot of the time. The normal thing in the "Windows" world is to serve everything up on a silver platter. But once you get into the *nix side of things with Sun, Java, or whatever, you end up with a bowl of spaghetti and little direction with the assumption that you already know everything. Lord knows that even the tiniest problems can mushroom out of control at some point, so I like to be cautious to start.

Anyways... Still downloading and configuring the trillion different components I need to get MonoDroid up and running.

I've been thinking about trying out NetBeans for a long time. But I waffle between that and IntelliJ IDEA to the point of paralysis. I suppose that I just need to take the plunge. I remember something about installing NetBeans basically ruining a machine though and preventing you from moving away from it. Well... I suppose I'll just delay it anyways as I have enough on my plate at the moment. 

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Installing netbeans is much much simpler than installing eclipse though. I have never had any problems.