topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which Desktop Search Tool(s) do you use? (Choose up to 2)

Google Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Copernic Desktop Search
36 (14.9%)
MSN Windows Desktop Search
15 (6.2%)
Yahoo Desktop Search
4 (1.7%)
X1 Desktop Search
24 (9.9%)
Locate
40 (16.5%)
Archivarius
14 (5.8%)
other...
61 (25.2%)
none / no comment
33 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Last post Author Topic: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?  (Read 761418 times)

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is the currently best Desktop Search software?
« Reply #550 on: December 27, 2008, 02:08 PM »
I think stopKa is working without any included spyware or worm. A big problem is that the program needs a tricky user to get "normal" results. I also concentrate on the theme Disc-Cataloging and Searching here, but the way he´s promoting it here is by far more intense (pushing) then I do with my own Disc-Cataloger project.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 02:11 PM by Crush »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: December 27, 2008, 02:44 PM »
I think stopKa is working without any included spyware or worm. A big problem is that the program needs a tricky user to get "normal" results. I also concentrate on the theme Disc-Cataloging and Searching here, but the way he´s promoting it here is by far more intense (pushing) then I do with my own Disc-Cataloger project.

I really wasn’t trying to be accusatory or offensive to him. It's just that whenever my machine starts to act in a way similar to what it sounded like some here were experiencing, that's the first thing I do after rebooting. I download and run a LOT of software applications and when anyone does that - especially with unproven software - there's a higher degree of risk than so-called "normal" users (Meaning people like my father-in-law who checks email, looks at photos sent to him, and not much else.   :)  )

A safety measure, if you will.

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11 AM »
I download and run a LOT of software applications and when anyone does that - especially with unproven software - there's a higher degree of risk than so-called "normal" users

I agree completely about the need for caution. I keep my private stuff in encrypted areas; I always have the option of restoring the system if I'm doubtful about software rather than deleting/uninstalling. I would note that successful malware doesn't draw attention to itself, but that doesn't mean you don't get not very successful malware wreaking havoc. I don't think there is that sort of product with this. Not had a problem with the system since. I was running Kaspersky all the time; I have run a F-Secure scan from the web (found a couple of ad trackers). Am doing a detailed Kaspersky scan now; about time anyway.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2008, 06:50 PM »
You might want to give Everything a try. I like it better than Locate32. It is lightning fast and doesn't need to index as it uses the NTFS journal.
Edbro, I want to thank you again for recommending Everything.  I installed it and have been blown away with how fast it is, how easy it is to use, and how well it finds everything I've asked it to.  I'm so pleased I may not even bother installing Locate32, at least not right away.

Thanks, too, to Darwin and others who provided more info about full-text search programs.   I think I'll continue to use Copernic for full-text searches and use Everything for searches where I'm just trying to find a filename.

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • StopKa Desktop search tool
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: December 29, 2008, 07:21 AM »
I'm here. I'll propose to discuss all your problems with StopKa - here https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=15990.0 - it has a complicated interface - i admit this. Of cause no spyware here.
As i think, Darwin, your first experience was with first public version - after that as you can see i public new one - and i admit that it should be stable.

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: December 29, 2008, 07:24 AM »
I nearest 2 weeks i'll plan to public new version with simplest interface - i'll add simple search panel - like locate32 - cause i saw many users have some problems with interface.

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: December 29, 2008, 07:35 AM »
J-Mac - i sign with my real name, i register StopKa site with my real name - so your assumptions are just assumptions without background.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Everywhere is only usable for direct connected NTFS drives. If you want to look at your CD/DVD-Archive or other external drives that are not NTFS and/or plugged in, you have to use another program. Why don´t you use FARR?

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2009, 09:34 AM »
StopKa Desktop search tool version 1.3 is ready to use - now interface is more simple.
StopKa could be better then analogs above - I'm ready to answer your questions here
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=15990.0
search speed is better then analogs, index speed is better too.

vitali_y

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35 AM »

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: February 03, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Greetings.

I doubt that even "the best" of breed DST is all around better that its opponents. Maybe it is a better idea to discuss what is the best application for a particular user profile.
Mine looks like that:
1. free software
2. able to index usual file types and mail(Outlook mainly)
3. able to index web sites
4. able to index network mapped drives
5. able to handle vast amounts of documents, both as number and size
6. (very) short learning time
7. the possibility to use the computer all the time(X1/Copernic users know what I am talking about...)

I found all the above and more:
8. client - server(excellent for LAN/ corporate use)
9. Boolean syntax supported, proximity/fuzzy search included
10. Open source/ OS independent(more or less)
11. superb visual display of the results
etc
in one marvelous product called AutoFocus, more info you can find at ADUNA.

Prior to AutoFocus I use to regard X1 as "THE DTS" of choice...not the case anymore...since 2005 I use AutoFocus on a daily basis for my 110.000(+/-)documents/~80GB hosted both on my HDD and network locations.
BTW, Yahoo DTS had a beta version that could index mapped network drives...and that was working nice for me but after one upgrade I was bitterly disappointed to notice that the feature is no longer available for the free version but only in the commercial version of X1 - and that is how I stared to dig for a new DTS software . Does anyone had a similar experience?

What can I say more? That AutoFocus is not the best of the best, file preview and the ability to index within archives is still under development but certainly it is THE  BEST for me.

HTH.
Best regards.

"Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups" - Travis Dane, Under Siege 2
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:16 AM by aenache36 »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2009, 03:19 PM »
aenache36 (Post above this one), it seems is the Site Administrator for the ADUNA forums, and presumably should know proper forum etiquette and disclose his relationship with the software/website he is pushing/recommending.    8)

Jim

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2009, 03:38 PM »
aenache36 (Post above this one), it seems is the Site Administrator for the ADUNA forums, and presumably should know proper forum etiquette and disclose his relationship with the software/website he is pushing/recommending.    8)

Jim

Greetings Jim

I have NO business relations with the makers of AutoFocus.
Please bear in mind that AutoFocus is FREE.
Indeed I have many posts on their forum simply because I like AutoFocus very much, I have experience with it and I like to share it(whenever I have time for that...)
In fact please think for a second that I could have chose any username but I used here aenache36 as well because I know pretty well what I am talking about... and my posts from the forum can prove that.
If you feel that my enthusiasm can be interpreted as a clear sign of improper forum etiquette please feel free to mention what is disturbing you and I will be glad to make all the necessary corrections.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:46 PM by aenache36 »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I don't think that Jim was accusing you of any bias, nor would he -- there are several software authors on this forum that like to tout their products. This is perfectly cool in this neighborhood, it's just that we've developed some etiquette to balance against this. It's just expected that if you have some relationship with the creator of a product, that you should make that known explicitly. You'll see this most clearly if you visit the mini-review section, where it's common for people to review something they were given free as a promo, and that fact is always disclosed.

This is really a good think for you if you do want to evangelize a product. It means that people will know who to ask questions of when they're seeking a better understanding of that product.

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: February 03, 2009, 04:03 PM »
This is really a good think for you if you do want to evangelize a product. It means that people will know who to ask questions of when they're seeking a better understanding of that product.

Greetings CWuestefeld,

As I mentioned already I like to share and choosing to use the same username was done specifically for that reason, you understood correctly my intentions.

Best regards.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: February 03, 2009, 04:12 PM »

Jim

Greetings Jim

I have NO business relations with the makers of AutoFocus.
Please bear in mind that AutoFocus is FREE.
Indeed I have many posts on their forum simply because I like AutoFocus very much, I have experience with it and I like to share it(whenever I have time for that...)
In fact please think for a second that I could have chose any username but I used here aenache36 as well because I know pretty well what I am talking about... and my posts from the forum can prove that.
If you feel that my enthusiasm can be interpreted as a clear sign of improper forum etiquette please feel free to mention what is disturbing you and I will be glad to make all the necessary corrections.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

I didn't say you were charging for it, or spamming or anything. It's just that when I followed the link in your post and looked at the forum there, I noticed that you are the Site Admin there.

That indicates an affiliation and it should be mentioned, that's all. Chill dude!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Sorry - are you saying that you are NOT the Site Admin there? That you just used his username here? Did I misunderstand?

Jim

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19 PM »
aenache36 (Post above this one), it seems is the Site Administrator for the ADUNA forums, ...
Greetings again,

If you take a look at the forum you will notice that anybody who posted question is listed as Site Admin, now I see what you meant earlier...probably an incorrect setting for JForum 2.1.8(used to be 2.1.6 for a looooong time, probably changed it not long ago...)forum software used.
Chris, listed as Aduna Staff is the actual Site Admin and Master Developer/Software Architect of AutoFocus.

HTH.
Best regards.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Sorry - are you saying that you are NOT the Site Admin there? That you just used his username here? Did I misunderstand?

Jim

On second look - everybody is a "Site Admin" at the ADUNA forum!  Now that IS confusing!   ;D

Jim

Oops - your post above wasn’t there when I submitted this one. Hey, you must admit that's a weird way to name forum members.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30 PM »
aenache36,

I wasn’t trying to kick you or anything. We often see first-time posters strongly recommend a software and if you do a quick search of their username on Google you get pages of that same post repeated on many sites. Our Admin here - mouser - doesn’t forbid developers from showcasing their software here; as a matter of fact he welcomes it! He just wants them to acknowledge their affiliation first, as is correct in this time of anonymous shilling by many. When I saw such strong recommendations by you on your first post here I performed a quick lookup of your username on Google and the first post brought me to your profile on ADUNA, where I saw "Site Admin" - a title usually reserved for the forum owner. Soooo - I thought I would mention it.

And now we know otherwise. We cool?

Thanks!

Jim

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2009, 04:33 PM »
...is a "Site Admin" at the ADUNA forum!  Now that IS confusing!   ;D

Hey, you must admit that's a weird way to name forum members.

It's just a simple configuration mistake IMO, I will send them an e-mail tomorrow...

In the mean time...you know what to do.
Cheers!

aenache36

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2009, 04:41 PM »
aenache36,

I wasn’t trying to kick you or anything. ...
And now we know otherwise. We cool?

Thanks!

Jim

I thank you for the time taken to reply.
I appreciate your good intentions(you like to share also, don't you?) and I didn't felt mistreated at all. Sometimes things/people are not what they appear to be in the first place.

All the best for now.

qforce

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: February 08, 2009, 04:41 AM »
Hi,

I'm the project admin of DocFetcher, an Open Source desktop search app. I've noticed in several posts in this thread that there seems to be a real need for e-mail indexing and the likes, which puzzles me a bit. More precisely: Why do you guys need an additional program to search your local e-mails when you could use the search feature of your respective e-mail client instead? Moreover, why do you use e-mail clients at all? I, for one, use Google Mail, and am perfectly happy with its search capabilities.

On a more general note, are there any people out there who definitely need a desktop search app to locate images, music, videos, etc.? If so, then why don't you use your picture managers, media players, etc. to do that? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient and appropriate way to organize images, music, etc.?

I'd be thankful for any enlightenment about this issue.

Btw, DocFetcher 1.0 is (probably) about to be released this month and adds support for MS Office 2007 and WordPerfect.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: February 08, 2009, 11:55 AM »
Why do you guys need an additional program to search your local e-mails when you could use the search feature of your respective e-mail client instead?

Have you tried the built-in search feature of Outlook?  :o  It's completely unusable for anyone who has accumulated more than ... oh ... 100 messages.

Moreover, why do you use e-mail clients at all? I, for one, use Google Mail, and am perfectly happy with its search capabilities.

It's a different topic, but... Personally, I use a localized solution because I don't have high bandwidth available (512kbps max), so I'm better off retrieving stuff once and caching it locally. Also, what poor connection I have is unreliable.

For corporations it's even more significant (hello, open-source world: corporations really do exist). Obviously you want to be able to manage your own internal email. The bandwidth cost could be enormous, and more importantly, many organizations must guarantee privacy (HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley). And if they've got to have a localized client, then they can't rely on GMail's search.

On a more general note, are there any people out there who definitely need a desktop search app to locate images, music, videos, etc.? If so, then why don't you use your picture managers, media players, etc. to do that? Wouldn't that be a much more efficient and appropriate way to organize images, music, etc.?

Why force people to learn multiple apps? It might be fine for me; I'm well-practiced at such learning, and might benefit from targeted optimizations. But what about for my mom? I think it's fairly typical for people to think that anything they got off the web or via email are all "from the Internet"; how do you explain to such a person when they need to use which tool? (I remember trying to explain to my grandfather, as he was scanning genealogical material, when to save as JPG vs. when to save as PNG. What's an instinctive selection to us is befuddling and nonsensical to "civilians")

More importantly, it's impossible to compartmentalize mail vs documents vs media, etc. A huge portion of my email contains attached documents. And a non-trivial portion of my docs contain embedded images and audio. So if one is to effectively find all email that contain a document that has an embedded image, one needs to be able to handle the whole chain, all the way down.

qforce

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: February 08, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Have you tried the built-in search feature of Outlook?  :o  It's completely unusable for anyone who has accumulated more than ... oh ... 100 messages.
Why oh why do people continue to buy and use crap like that even when they know it's complete rubbish. Jesus... Really makes me angry.

For corporations it's even more significant (hello, open-source world: corporations really do exist). Obviously you want to be able to manage your own internal email. The bandwidth cost could be enormous, and more importantly, many organizations must guarantee privacy (HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley). And if they've got to have a localized client, then they can't rely on GMail's search.
Well, as an unpaid freelance programmer I do not really care about the enormous needs of big corporations (why would I). However, I do care about this: Do "normal" people really need super-powerful search programs?

Why force people to learn multiple apps? It might be fine for me; I'm well-practiced at such learning, and might benefit from targeted optimizations. But what about for my mom? I think it's fairly typical for people to think that anything they got off the web or via email are all "from the Internet"; how do you explain to such a person when they need to use which tool? (I remember trying to explain to my grandfather, as he was scanning genealogical material, when to save as JPG vs. when to save as PNG. What's an instinctive selection to us is befuddling and nonsensical to "civilians")

More importantly, it's impossible to compartmentalize mail vs documents vs media, etc. A huge portion of my email contains attached documents. And a non-trivial portion of my docs contain embedded images and audio. So if one is to effectively find all email that contain a document that has an embedded image, one needs to be able to handle the whole chain, all the way down.
Yes, but... images, music and video do not contain text (except for the filename and meta data), so the way I see it, it doesn't make much sense to use a desktop search program instead of a picture manager, a media player, etc., to retrieve these files. It would make sense if computers had reliable image recognition capabilities, if they were able to "understand" music, etc., but that's not the case.