topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Who else is sick of the cursor jumping around in web-browsers?  (Read 7785 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Who else here gets annoyed by the unpredictable behavior of the cursor in all web browsing programs and web pages.  Whether it's IE or Firefox or whatever, sometimes you load a page, and you click somwhere, only to see the cursor jump to some search field.  Or while a page is loading, you try clicking in the address bar and it doesn't stay put.  Or when you do pick something, it automatically highlights everything in the field, so you have to do a double click to get off of the highlight, and then you don't time it right and you end up quintuple clicking or something like that.

I know it's handy sometimes, like when you load google and you just start typing because the cursor autmotically goes to the search field.  But it's generally more annoying than not.  At least to me.  I don't like all these webpages coercing me to do this and that, even if they think it's more convenient.  I'll click where I want to click, when I want to click.

Also, some of these google plugins for firefox could be done better, in my opinion.  Like the google bar, sometimes I'll start typing and it drops down a box of recent history, but I can't keep on typing.  I have to go press escape and then I can start typing again.   

OK, rant over.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who else is sick of the cursor jumping around in web-browsers?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:33 PM »
not entirely the same point but i do wish that there were more intuitive ways of navigating through common (or all) web pages by using shortcut keys - like every other thing you use on a computer. feels kind of dumb having to revert back to the mouse sometimes.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 06:18 PM »
nudone: you're not a opera user, are you?
Opera has serveral keyboard shotcuts, do use when navigating through pages.
In a forum, for example, you can even do "ctrl" + "right arrow" and it goes to the next thread :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 06:36 PM »
hmm, i'll have to give opera another try but i've become a bit of a maxthon die-hard. thanks jgpaiva.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 04:34 AM »
The problem you are facing is because of javascript routines. Once a page is loaded they change the focus.

Opera allows you to use user javascript to override this. You can set this on a white or black list to allow some sites to use focus and all others to not be able to change it.

You can find an appropriate user js extension here:

http://userjs.org/sc...ents/stop-form-focus

You may need to manually edit the include / exclude list to specify what page you want this to work on.

User Javascript is a hugely powerful, you can modify any page, changing its behaviour. GreaseMonkey is the equivalent for Firefox, though it is limited to altering onload behaviours AFAIK.

FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 04:37 AM by nontroppo »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 06:38 AM »
http://userjs.org/sc...ents/stop-form-focus
Thanks for the link, nontroppo! That site's got some interesting stuff! :D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Yeah, thanks.  That's good advice.