topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Mobile device in $100-150 range on ebay..suggestions?  (Read 4553 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's time to think about replacing my Dell Axim X51V, the second PDA which I had to retire due to a bad digitizer.

I am checking ebay, the best thing I am finding is an HTC Diamond. I consistently am seeing the Sprint version selling for around $100, or $150 with a charging dock. I think people hate Sprint so much it brings the price downl.  I don't intend to use it as a phone. I have a Net10 phone for voice ($100 every 180 days and more talking minutes than I need.) and there is no data that is so urgent to me that it justifies paying $60/month for a data plan. A daily sync gives me more data than I can possibly read or play, and I am usually not that far from a PC anyway. And I like the feature set of the HTC Diamond, and I plan to sync over USB or the charging dock if that's possible.

Since I don't plan on using the phone, is there another "Windows Mobile device in $100-150 range on ebay" anyone would care to recommend, with or without a phone built in?

By the way, I have had horrible luck with the digitizers going bad on both the PDAs I have had, Tungsten T3 and Dell Axim X51v, any hints at picking something where the digitizer may last longer are welcome, I wasn't very good at replacing the digitizer in my T3 and don't want to try again with my Axim (which also seems to have some power issues).

GPS doesn't matter so much, but I am assuming I could use it for something even without a data plan (maybe a pedometer?) - correct me if I am wrong.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:47 PM by daddydave »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Mobile device in $100-150 range on ebay..suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Maybe not the HTC Diamond....2.8" with VGA resolution
a big step down from the X51v...3.7" with VGA resolution

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:04 PM »
I'm still running my X50v Axim. Hardest part is finding reliable extended batteries for it! This one was my 11th WM device. I still have a couple of my older ones left but don’t use them. I'm surprised to see such a high price on Ebay for them; I didn't think that mine were worth anything anymore.

Jim

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:12 PM »
I've probably changed my mind. Of all the PDAs that can sync PIM items cloudlessly to Outlook and has a decent screen resolution, the iPod Touch is probably my best option. steeladept convinced me to take a look, and further research of my own corroborated it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 02:16 PM »
daddydave, what do you mean by "digitizers going bad," please?  I've been using an eBayed Palm T3 for about three years without problems; it was in pristine condition when I first got it, though.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:42 PM »
It's time to think about replacing my Dell Axim X51V, the second PDA which I had to retire due to a bad digitizer.

Maybe you should check ebay for a replacement digitizer instead. It would only cost you around $8 to replace it.

http://shop.ebay.com...+Axim+X51V+digitizer

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:12 PM »

Maybe you should check ebay for a replacement digitizer instead. It would only cost you around $8 to replace it.

http://shop.ebay.com...+Axim+X51V+digitizer

I think I have one in a wrapper. I bought one for my retired Tungsten T3 also, as a test to see if I was competent enough to replace digitizers in PDAs. I failed.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:24 PM »
This looks like a pretty sweet deal if you can get it (you'll have to bid, there's no buy it now price): http://cgi.ebay.com/...;hash=item3f03de1af1

Runs Windows Mobile 5 and isn't locked to any particular carrier. You don't even need a carrier if you use it with Wifi. Also comes with a heavy load of software.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 03:27 PM »
This looks like a pretty sweet deal if you can get it (you'll have to bid, there's no buy it now price): http://cgi.ebay.com/...;hash=item3f03de1af1

Runs Windows Mobile 5 and isn't locked to any particular carrier. You don't even need a carrier if you use it with Wifi. Also comes with a heavy load of software.

Resolution 240x240 according to these guys. Bleh...I would use it as an ebook reader too, so the resolution makes it a no go. Not wanting a keyboard either. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I am not interested in the phone function either. I'd hate to be stranded on the interstate because I read one too many RSS feed and my battery is dead. I have a separate NET10 phone for which I pay about $16.67 a month ($100 for 180 days) for voice and I am pretty happy with that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:33 PM by daddydave »