topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Application Virtualization - Make your applications portable  (Read 3865 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Application Virtualization - Make your applications portable
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:43 PM »
For those that are interested in making their applications portable, there's a new kid on the block - well, it's been around since April but I haven't seen anyone mention it here.

Cameyo - Free Application Virtualization

greenshot_2010-09-18_13-35-56.jpg

Very easy to use and you end up with a single executable application 'package' which seems to run ok on other Windows OSes, (providing the necessary dependencies are there of course).

A slightly cheaper alternative to ThinApp.

Addendum: From browsing the forum, you can add a parameter to the executable command line to remove the temporary files from the host system: "yourapp.exe -remove".
Also, the latest beta can be downloaded from here.

EDIT: Change the subject to be a little more descriptive.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:02 PM by 4wd »

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Application Virtualization - Make your applications portable
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.

It seems pretty nifty. You can apparently install in a sandbox and make the app portable from there without actually installing it.

This is how I have been doing it anyway manually - maybe Cameyo can do it automatically and save me some work.

I will give it a try!
Regards, Brahman

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Application Virtualization - Make your applications portable
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 03:02 AM »
It seems pretty nifty. You can apparently install in a sandbox and make the app portable from there without actually installing it.

This is how I have been doing it anyway manually - maybe Cameyo can do it automatically and save me some work.

I haven't had a look at the latest beta, I know it was discussed/requested.

I use a VM with a base XP-SP3 + .NET OS to capture installs using Cameyo - then just revert to the base snapshot after transfering the package out of it.