topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR 2.90.02 not useable  (Read 4254 times)

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR 2.90.02 not useable
« on: September 12, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I updated from v2.87.03 to v2.90.02 several days ago (as an aside, that's how FARR id's itself in the troubleshooting log and to DCU, but both the helpfile and the EXE properties identify it as 2.90.01, a little confusing.)

Since I updated, FARR has become unusable. I'll press Break and type a few keys which appear in the entry field, after which FARR is unresponsive for long enough for me to lose all interest... maybe 30 seconds, maybe 3 minutes. For now, I've just unloaded it, hoping for a fix... how can I function without FARR??!

Nothing else on the system seems sluggish. Windows XP SP3.

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR 2.90.02 not useable
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:40 AM »
and it was working ok before the update? this is really strange.. i'm not sure what i could have added to cause this.  the new version should be significantly faster to wake up now.

i need some clues about this mystery delay and when it happens and what it is doing when it happens.

maybe you can try v2.87.03 again? and see if it really is only the new version suffering from the problem?  direct download here: https://www.donation...obotSetup_081810.exe

you can just install it over new version and vice versa.

if you can reliably reproduce this speed difference. please let me know.  it's important to figure out what exactly may be causing the problem.

one trick is to look in the statusbar during the delay and see what it says it is searching when the delay is happening.

jdmarch

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Reinstalled 2.87.03, works fine. Redownloaded 2.90.02, install file is identical to previous download of it. Reinstalled, problem is the same. From status line: takes 5 minutes to scan all directories. Biggest dirs (with 1-2 k file count) take one minute each to scan. But it's not the download time that this the biggest difference. v2.87 takes over 2 minutes to scan all dirs, because I haven't eliminated caches and such from the FARR scan path. The biggest diff is that when 2.87 is scanning, it's highly responsive. When 2.90 is running, it is (totally?) unresponsive until it has finished scanning. Then when I press another key, it's back to square 1.

Only thing that's unusual on my system right now is that Diskeeper defragger is working in background, but (1) it doesn't bother 2.87, (2) it doesn't bother anybody else (it's running in deep background, very polite), and (3) I think that DK only works on a few files at a time, and 2.90 is sluggish on all directories, every time. Oh, and it's also very slow (tens to hundreds of seconds) to respond to a right-click on its tray icon, vs instantaneous for 2.87

Reinstalled 2.87.03. I'll stick with it for now, may be able to re-test a new version but not much more than that until next weekend. Thanks mouser, and sorry to bear bad news.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20 PM »
very strange..
let's talk over email if you don't mind, so i can see if i can figure out some more clues.

the fact that it's slow to respond to tray click suggests to me that it's engaged in some process going on in the background that it shouldn't be -- that is, it's stuck in some background scanning loop in addition to the main searching.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:39 PM by mouser »