topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Are there any Android developers here? Wanna write a media player?  (Read 4913 times)

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Howdy y'all, long time no see...

I would pay good money for an awesome MP3 player program for Android. There's one feature that I cannot find anywhere: song rating support. I want to be able to rate all my music using the somewhat standard one through five star rating system available on most music management programs (Media Monkey, J. River Media Center, Winamp, WMP, etc.) and some dedicated PMPs (Sandisk Sansa Fuze, most iPods (I think), the Creative Zen line, and the Archos players too (I think)).

Anyone out there have the know-how and ambition to create a killer MP3 (and other formats I guess) player app?

I would be willing to pay a somewhat large amount of money to get the ball rolling on this project, if that would help. Of course, I don't want to waste money, so I'll need to be convinced that whoever I give it to will actually deliver (or attempt to deliver) what I want.

The best media player I can find is called Meridian. It has some semblance of a star rating system already, except as far as I can tell the ratings do not sync with any other programs.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Are there any Android developers here? Wanna write a media player?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I do plan on getting to Android development eventually, but the media player I had planned would not likely be what you're looking for. Still, I'm a bit surprised to hear all that. I figured WinAmp or someone would make a decent mobile version.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:06 AM »
You'd think so right?

I often think about how modern media players lack many features Winamp had by version 1.5* or so... A program which is something like 10 years old!

* I don't remember the exact version I've actually looked up, but even if it's version 3.0 it's still unacceptable, IMO.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:55 AM »
What about DoubleTwist? Granted it does more than you might want as far as PC syncing, photo management, and whatnot, but it's a pretty decent (albeit simple) media player generally speaking, and it does do ratings on the 5 star scale. I just tested it and you can rate on the phone and sync back to the PC as well. :)

- Oshyan