topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: automatically sort taskbar  (Read 3652 times)

azgarth

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
automatically sort taskbar
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:27 PM »
does anyone know of an app that sorts the windows (7) taskbar?
right now i've the bar positioned left, with a few pinned programs, set to never combine.
what i'd like to have, is a way to automatically put all the running(pinned/nonpinned) apps above (or below) the pinned apps that aren't running.
i've been looking around, but unfortunately i can't find something like this anywhere. is there a program for something like this? or would it  be possible to write an ahk for it?
if so, any tips for a guy who's done nothing but make some console running calculators in c++?
this sorting would do away with the need of a separate quicklaunch for important apps, which is rather an eyesore, and doesn't always show all icons (due to being positioned below the running/pinned apps, but not fluctuating based on the amount of systray icons).

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: automatically sort taskbar
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:32 PM »
This is a way to set up a regular XP style quicklaunch and retain the running apps icons W7 style.
Setting the non running apps as easy access, separated from running apps.

http://west-wind.com...og/posts/866080.aspx

It might be what you could do and use.
Other then this I don't know of how to accomplish your goal as I understand it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:07 AM »
http://www.truelaunchbar.com/ may be even better than what you asked for ;-)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:14 AM by Curt »

azgarth

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46 PM »
curt, thanks, checking truelaunchbar now.

cmpm, that's what i've got right now, though positioned at the bottom (prefer my running programs as high as possible on the bar), what but with the quicklaunch i still have a couple of duplicates.
for example, if i have firefox running, i still have the firefox button in the quicklaunch, wasting space. with one app that's not much of a problem, but if you're running a slew of apps at a time, that's quite a waste.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22 PM »
curt, thanks, checking truelaunchbar now.

Just to give you a hint of what can be done, besides all the plugins and tools: I have shortcuts to my 250 most used programs, and shortcuts to my 30 favourite folders, in my quick launch bar, all just a click away and never taking up more than two icons. I could even merge them into a single icon. Also, if I want, I can make the folders virtuel, like I have done with "Downloads" (="Hentede Filer (1)") When I have downloaded something, the file is never more than a click away!:

click for large:

2010-08-17_001331-911.gifautomatically sort taskbar 2010-08-17_000536-910.gifautomatically sort taskbar

Edited:
To get even more available space: StartKiller and PresStart, and TrayFactory.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:58 PM by Curt »