topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Patch Pushed Early  (Read 4145 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft Security Patch Pushed Early
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Earlier this week, Microsoft released Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-046, which is the patch to fix this particular vulnerability. This "out of band" patch came a full week before the regularly scheduled update, due to concern for customers' security. Everyone who has Automatic Updates turned on will already have the patch installed and their system is secured against this particular threat. The only people who need be concerned are those who check for updates manually and those who are still running Windows 2000 or XP Service Pack 2 or earlier, as they are no longer supported by Microsoft.

MS10-046

I got that in one of the security newsletter that I subscribe to. I'm posting it here as it shows how the Microsoft of 1998 is very different from the Microsoft of today. They still can't manage to change their image though... I just don't get it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft Security Patch Pushed Early
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Hi, thanks for the info. Those folks who might still have an XP SP2 machine also have the option to install the Sophos Windows Shortcut Exploitation Tool.
http://www.sophos.co...protection-tool.html

Presumably this free tool will offer some measure of protection until the user can secure the machine with a fully patched SP3. This Sophos tool won't work on Windows 2000 however.