topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App  (Read 323369 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 04:00 PM »
a global keyboard hoot
You don't want feedback on that, do you?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02 PM »
Oh blast  ;D

It's not like the keys are even anywhere near each other.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 05:18 PM »
Ok folks, there's a version in place. No help, documentation or Wizard (yet!) but I'm interested to know what you make of the program when going in 'cold' (for all I know, you may come up with some new clever way of using it)

But, to get started, click the 'New' button and set up a test entry to get the feel  of the  program. Try something like this:

getstarted.png

Then  go into  (say) notepad,  and type mfat<return> and  the rest should happen automatically,  and I  hope you'll get the idea

After you  leave the program running for a while it will start to pick up on the words you  are using frequently, and suggest them as you  type. Also of course, the assumption is you  will key in frequently used phrases as little acronyms or mnemonics and use them as you go. I  have to say I actually feel quite lost when the program is not running now. I keep sending emails with 'tt' at the bottom where I expect Auspex to make the replacement to 'Thanks, Tim'  :-\

Of course at this point there are so many little issues, but some of the things I know about already are as follows:

1. alt+tab gets blocked at the moment
2. spaces sometimes appear as double spaces when you're typing fast (actually I think this is fixed in build 8.)
3. the program only starts to  work  after you have activated its main form one time.
4. new entries don't seem to work until you re-start the program (to be checked)

Good luck! At some point soon there will  be a dedicated site to visit where you  can post ideas,  issues,  suggestions etc.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:50 PM by timns »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Teaser: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I'm at work, where often thing are blocked and don't work, but I get the following with 1.0.0.8:
ScreenShot.pngNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Whoa! Ok well now the fun begins. Certainly I suspect you will need admin rights, since the first thing the program does is install a hook. [Note to cranioscopical: the hooter is optional at this point]

There's also a little timer that runs - is the dialog appearing fast, or maybe every couple of seconds?

UPDATE: I think this is fixed. Please try build 10 if you get a chance?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:35 PM by timns »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Same here on my XP SPIII. Immediately after executing the Access Violation error keeps occurring after an interval from a second, just as in the post from Perry.

My PC has no (group/domain) policies set. Actually it is a rather fresh XP installation (3 days old) and I am running it in the default administrator account.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Same here on my XP SPIII. Immediately after executing the Access Violation error keeps occurring after an interval from a second, just as in the post from Perry.

My PC has no (group/domain) policies set. Actually it is a rather fresh XP installation (3 days old) and I am running it in the default administrator account.

Mr Pinhead here has just uploaded build 10 which should address this.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Mr Pinhead here has just uploaded build 10 which should address this.

Yes, fixed... but...
ScreenShot.pngNANY 2011 Release: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App

And I'm on XPIII as well...

A bit of extra playing... it seemed that Auspex was "stealing" the space from everything (hence the above lack of spaces). When I removed the Space trigger I got my spaces back  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:16 PM by Perry Mowbray »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback - I'll try and reproduce it somehow and get it cleaned up. Irritantingly I think it might be specific to some versions of Windows. I develop on a Vista machine and it's ok. Tomorrow I'll test on my old XP beastie and see what happens.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Here it's working well here too except for the above mentioned problem with Spaces in the Replacement zone: even if you don't use Space as a trigger you still can't use Space or Tab or Return. Backspace works though. I get round this by typing the replacement text in Notepad then pasting it into the Replacement zone BUT then a full-stop turns into a semi-colon which makes me think that it's a keyboard mapping problem. This is on a french keyboard.

Also if you use a long text in the Replacement zone it uses 100% cpu when typing itself into e.g. Notepad (maybe that's understandable).

XP sp2
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:52 AM by joiwind »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 10:54 AM »
FWIW
On XP SP3, I don't share Perry's problem with [Return,Space,Tab].
As joiwind wrote, pasting replacement text overcomes the inability to add directly spaces, returns, etc.
On my (U.S.) keyboard, period remains as a period, it is not converted to a semi-colon.

So I can get the following by cutting and pasting (where the spaces following a number are the number of spaces represented by that number).

One two  three   four   
What a hoot!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Folks, I really appreciate your comments. I'll have to set up some proper bug reporting/tracking thingy to make sure I don't lose all the feedback.

In the meantime I'll try to get this fixed so you can focus on finding out if the program is useful to you.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 02:34 PM »
There's now a redmine project for the software. If you're running the program and come across any issues you'd like to report, please use this link:

http://redmine.dcmem....com/projects/auspex

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Just uploaded build 12. This fixes the space/return/tab issue in the replacement text field. However you will still need to activate the main window once when you start the program to get everything ticking over.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Sorry, I'm too dumb to use this Redmine thing (anyone care to explain how to report something there?)

In my favourite text editor, Auspex introduces codes rather than performing actions.
In the attached example, Auspex had taught itself "Impression" and offered it after I typed "Imp".
Thereafter, every touch on the return key produced the (note) symbol.
Doesn't happen with other editors, so probably the answer is to exclude this editor from Auspex.
AusQuirk.png
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:56 PM by cranioscopical »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 07:07 PM »
No problem re the redmine thing. I'll have a go with KEdit (must admit it's not one I've ever tried before) and see if I  can reproduce/fix.

Update: no luck so far. From looking at the interface settings, I think it may also be intercepting the keyboard itself which means that when Auspex re-injects keystrokes, they are not interpreted correctly. I'll keep this one on the back burner as they say (in fact I've created a ticket in the redmine thingy so I  don't forget)

http://redmine.dcmembers.com/issues/99
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 08:11 PM by timns »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53 PM »
No problem re the redmine thing. I'll have a go with KEdit (must admit it's not one I've ever tried before) and see if I  can reproduce/fix.
Demo version here if you feel up to it.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Build 14 uploaded, and a little progress on the user guide (found in the wiki section of redmine)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 08:31 PM »
@timns

build 14, XP SP3

Item 1
If I make a folder structure with the folders Lingo, Complete, and Replace thus:
  Lingo
  Complete
    completion item
  Replace
     replace item

and then try to drag the folders "Complete" and "Replace" into the folder "Lingo", I get access violations.   

Item 2
If I have a completion word, learnt by Auspex, which is "Advertiser"
and then create a replacement item "ioa" to give "Impression of Advertiser"
then editing one of these items results in both being edited.

This might have been because I edited the triggers for completion without first restarting Auspex

Item 3
It is not always possible to create folders.
For example, with 2 folders already created, I cannot always create a third.
"New Folder" is created.
Auspex is restarted,
"New Folder" is no more.

Information
I use Macro Express, which uses keyboard hooks, and see no conflicts between it and Auspex.

Useful to have the tokens (and other stuff) in the guide, thanks!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. I'll plunk some details into redmine so I don't overlook this stuff and hopefully iron out a lot of these wrinkles in the next release or so.

Item 3
It is not always possible to create folders.
For example, with 2 folders already created, I cannot always create a third.
"New Folder" is created.
Auspex is restarted,
"New Folder" is no more.

Ah, that's because if a folder is empty, it's not saved. What happens is that items themselves reference a folder. If nothing makes a reference, it's not written out when Auspex shuts down. Important, do you think?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:23 PM by timns »

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 12:47 AM »
build 14 seems to be running better here... although I nearly put a bug into Redmine as I thought Auspex was stealing the input when it first started... but then it didn't :-\ :-\

Have you thought about an auto learn feature? eg all words typed longer than the standard setting are automatically added to an Auto-AutoComplete folder during normal typing... this would be like intellisense.

On close those items are deleted... or alternatively can be moved to a different folder.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 10:18 AM »
build 14 seems to be running better here... although I nearly put a bug into Redmine as I thought Auspex was stealing the input when it first started... but then it didn't :-\ :-\

There's a known issue at startup where it does not process input correctly until it has received and lost input focus just once.

Have you thought about an auto learn feature? eg all words typed longer than the standard setting are automatically added to an Auto-AutoComplete folder during normal typing... this would be like intellisense.

On close those items are deleted... or alternatively can be moved to a different folder.

Er, actually, it does that already. It's not configurable yet, but at the moment any words 6 chars or longer that you use 3 times will start to appear as a suggestion. You don't seem them appear in the tree until next time you start, which is something I'll fix. If you try that, and words are not appearing for you, do let me know!

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 10:38 AM »
timns - any luck with the punctuation problem (keyboard mapping) ? All usual characters work fine it's punctuation, the num-pad  and all "unusual" characters : e.g. {[¤µ*etc.

DELL azerty keyboard
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:46 AM by joiwind »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 10:53 AM »
timns - any luck with the punctuation problem (keyboard mapping) ? All usual characters work fine it's punctuation, the num-pad  and all "unusual" characters : e.g. {[¤µ*etc.

DELL azerty keyboard

Redmined! I'll take a look today. There will be a new build later for sure, since I just got the calculation function going.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Is the Add predefined text option supposed to work ? It doesn't here.
Also (and if it is supposed to work) the same predefined text sticks in all setups.