topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Circle Dock runs perfectly fine, but shutting down/closing dock results in crash  (Read 6908 times)

MGArcher007

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey all. Hope someone else has had this problem and maybe found a legit solution for it. Maybe it's in the settings of Circle Dock.
I am using the latest 64-bit release of Circle Dock, running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit as my OS.

Circle Dock works perfectly fine, until I either shut down the computer or I right click the icon in the taskbar and close it there.
The dock proceeds to freeze up. I've let it sit there for as much as 30 minutes just to see if it'd unfreeze, to no avail.

Hope someone has some good options for me to try out.
Also, just after the crash, I went and checked the Event Viewer, looked at all the details of the crash.
Doesn't seem like anything outside is causing this crash, it's all within Circle Dock.

I'd be willing to try just about anything, I really like this program.
Thanks in advance.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Greetings MGArcher007
Welcome to the Circle Dock Forums here at donationcoder.com  :-*

My apologies that you ended here because of issues with Circle Dock.
Admittedly I have not had this issue, nor can I reproduce it, so I can not develop a log file to check stuff :(
Of course I am also in Windows 7 64bit.

I unfortunately may have to let Markham in on this one, as I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

I am going to suggest a simple test to see if there is something screwy.
Start Circle Dock with Administrative Privileges and then shut down to see if you have the same issue.

apparently there is an issue in Circle Dock's shut down sequence.
Circle Dock writes to the XML files during shutdown, my guess is that something is getting hung up here, but I could not say why, just a guess.  :tellme:

Do you have a standard install?
Or have you installed to a different location or portable media?

Additionally; What Antivirus are you running, if any?

Let us know and I will help to figure this out as I can  :Thmbsup:

Regards
The Sarge

MGArcher007

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for the greeting. ;)

Also, another problem I am having is, I can't get it to start WITH Windows. If I check the box and save the changes, I go back to see if the box is still checked, and it isn't.

I've tried running it as administrator and then closing it, still crashes.

I am just gonna use the 32 bit installation of Circle Dock until I get some more info on what might be causing it, maybe it's a stray setting, or just the 64-bit version itself. I dunno.

And I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.

Thank you for the response. I'll keep my eye out as well, if I find anything out I will post back. :)

MGArcher007

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alright, I have an update to post.

I uninstalled the x64 version and installed the x86 version of Circle Dock. It is still acting identically to that of the x86 version.

I don't think it's an outside program that is causing this crash, otherwise it would have showed up as a fault in Event Viewer.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Ack......  :o

That is not good  :(
I would be upfront in saying that CD does not like playing with your system, as so far you are the only one to come forward with this issue.  :(

After a crash; Do you lose any of your icons or settings?

Aslo; lets see if any one else comes forward with this or a similar problem.

Markham is supposed to be on vacation. So we may have to wait until he is home, recovered from his trauma of vacationing, and back to Circle Dock stuff.  ;)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
I think it's reasonable to assume that Circle Dock is not the guilty party, otherwise this board would be full of complaining messages.

Is your's a notebook PC? The reason I ask is that one of my testers has a HP laptop with Vista-64 and encountered exactly the same problem as you described. Based on previous experience I always check to see if there are any updates for device drivers - video drivers are the usual suspects. We updated his and that fixed the problem. Whether it will fix yours, I don't know.

The other thing you can try is defragment your hard drive and change the default swap file from "System Managed" to a fixed size based on 2.5 times the amount of physical RAM. So if yours is a 2 GiB PC, your swap file should be 5 GiB. That should ensure that the swap file is contiguous on disk.

If yours is an older PC with a Pentium IV or Xeon CPU, try disabling "Multi-Threading" in the BIOS settings.

Ok if I return to my deckchair in the sun now, Sarge? :D

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Ok if I return to my deckchair in the sun now, Sarge? :D

Mark