topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Set Firefox about:config settings from the command line. How?  (Read 10826 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a way to merge a set of Firefox about:config settings into an existing prefs.js file from the command line, if you want to automate the process? Like with the Windows Registry, you can share a .reg file, is there a filetype like that for the Firefox "registry", or something fairly simple like that?

I've figured out how to make keyboard shortcuts for the DownThemAll add-in (surprisingly they are not built in) using the keyconfig extension and want to make them as easy to share as possible. What do you suggest?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:25 PM by daddydave »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Set Firefox about:config settings from the command line. How?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 01:04 PM »
about:config settings are saved into prefs.js, you can save the relevant info as user.js and use it to customize your Firefox settings. though, in your case, keyconfig extension must be in the prefs.js since the add-on doesn't recognize user.js.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Thanks lanux128, I'll think about that.

Here are the raw settings if anyone is interested (requires keyconfig):

Code: Javascript [Select]
  1. user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__DownThemAll! (All tabs)", "alt control][A][][DTA_ContextOverlay.findLinks(false,true)][");
  2. user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__DownThemAll! Manager", "alt control][J][][DTA_AddingFunctions.openManager()][");
  3. user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__DownThemAll!", "alt control][D][][DTA_ContextOverlay.findLinks(false,false)][");
  4. user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__dTa OneClick! (All tabs)", "alt control shift][A][][DTA_ContextOverlay.findLinks(true,true)][");
  5. user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__dTa OneClick!", "alt control shift][D][][DTA_ContextOverlay.findLinks(true,false)][");

I used the functions for keyconfig (another add-on) to create them, which provides a nice GUI.

Also any feedback on whether these shortcuts seem fairly sensible and conflict-free for most Firefox users is welcome.

DownThemAll! (All tabs) = Ctrl-Alt-A
DownThemAll! Manager = Ctrl-Alt-J
DownThemAll! = Ctrl-Alt-D
dTa OneClick! (All tabs) =  Ctrl-Alt-Shift-A
dTa OneClick! = Ctrl-Alt-Shift-D

The logic behind Ctrl-Alt-J is that it is similar to the builtin Ctrl-J (Tools > Downloads)
And the All Tabs shortcuts are intended to be reminiscent of Ctrl-A (select all) although I don't know if that exists on all platforms.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:56 PM by daddydave »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 02:13 AM »
nice, i'm sure it'll come in handy for DTA fans. :up: