topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Unicode Image Maker: Some Questions  (Read 28467 times)

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unicode Image Maker: Some Questions
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Greetings,

I have been looking for a program like yours for a long time.  My use is to creat quick text images to be loaded into a ham radio (over internet) program called QSO-TV, which is part of the CQ100 VOIP program.

Your program will generally do what I need, but perhaps a few enhancements could be made.  I do like the fact that the text is saved within the jpg file.  This is fantastic!

What would be most helpful:

1. Is there a way to set the image size?  I would like to have a canvas size of 444 (horizontal) by 333 (vertical).  That is the size of the screen on the QSO-TV, but then that program won't have to adjust my text (jpg) so that the text ratios and sizes stay as created by your program.

2. A way within your program to drag from the screen window directly into QSO-TV.  I can drag the file over to the QSO-TV from the desktop, but that means I have to save it first.  A lot of times, saving isn't needed, just a quick message message to post visually to those I am talking to.  To do this, I suspect, there would have to be a way to actually have the jpg picture showing on your screen.

3. Does your program have the capability to put text on an existing jpg picture?

Anyway, thank you for having your program available.  I would appreciate any comments you might have to my questions/suggestions.

Regards,
George Stein
Virginia USA
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:59 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:12 PM »
very good questions.

#2 should be possible by clicking and dragging fromt he area on the right hand side that says "Drag file".. though i think something may be making that work sporadically so i'll have to look into it a bit.

the other things aren't possible in the current version, but i think i could add them all quite easily.

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Hi Mouser,
Thanks for the really quick reply to my questions.

I am using the latest version by the way.  On my computer, the Drag BMP and Drag File buttons appear depresses or anyway don't do anything.  I have displayed the picture in a paint program, but it won't drag and drop either.  The file shown on the desktop will drag and drop.

The program I was using is called TxtTic by comportent.com    Once the image is shown on the screen, it can just dragged to the QSO-TV.  However, that program doesn't allow multi-color text, nor does it save the text like your fine program does.  That is why I really want to get your program working for my needs, if at all possible.

The QSO-TV does not have a right click paste nor does it accept ctrl-v paste.  That would have worked, since your program will copy the image to the clipboard.

Besides the above issue, being able to set the image size is the next important one.  The item 3 in my original message is only a nice to have.

Mouser, if you are able to try something on the drag and drop, I can try it out on the QSO-TV.  Unless you are a ham radio operator, you cannot get access to the QSO-TV program.  [email protected] is the owner of QSO TV and might be able to work with you for test purposes, but I have no idea if he can.  Bottom line, I am here to assist is I can be of any use.

I have attached a pic of the QSO-TV.

Again, thanks so much for the offer to help.

Regards,
George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:36 PM »
we have a couple of ham radio operators on the forum (my grandfather was a big ham radio operator), so it's always nice to see another stop by.

setting image size explicitly is very easy to add, but if you're always wanting the same size you should be able to do what you want with a little trial and error.  that's because the image size will be exactly the size of the text panel in the program window, and it should be remembered between runs.  so with a little experimentation you should be able to get it exactly the size you want.  but i don't mind adding an easy function for that.

now about your other program not accepting drag and drop of the file from unicode image maker.. that is strange because dragging from the "Drag File" area should behave exactly as dragging a file from your desktop..  perhaps the problem is the file format? when you save it to your desktop do you use the .png file type or a different file type?  if you are using a dif file format for dragging from the deskop, try saving a png to desktop and dragging that.  if the problem is simply that your destination wont accept png files i could add an option to have it use a different file format when dragging.

also let's make sure you are using that "Drag File" correctly before we conclude it's not working.  The way you use it is you press down on the left mouse while the cursor is over "Drag File" and don't let go -- just drag from there while the left mouse is still held down, and bring it to your target program, then let go.  Like i said on my testing i seem to be getting a black image sometimes (if i resize the unicode image maker window before using Drag File it seems to work), and i'll fix that -- but the main question is really whether your target program tries to accept the dragged file or not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:46 PM by mouser »

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Hi Mouser,
I will more completely answer later, but wanted to pass on that QSO-TV only will display jpg pictures.

In your program, Drag File, to me, implies that there is already a file created.  I was hoping that there didn't need to be a file, just what is on the screen. 

When I do drag a shown on the desktop, for instance, into QSO-TV, I do get a different mouse pointer that indicates that a file is being dragged and dropped.  I don't see that with Unicode.

Will write later on after supper, which I need to go start.  LOL

George

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Hi Mouser,

To follow up on my previous message before dinner......

I was able to drag and drop the current text into Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft Word by clicking on the Drag BMP button.  That works nicely.  If there was a button, that allowed dragging jpg, then this most likely would solve that issue.  Just curious, doing that, how would one chose the jpg compression value.  Suggest having a drop down menu item to set the compression that stays at that value when restarting the program.  So once set, one can forget it if they so choose.  I personally use no compression.

Having the ability to use to set the canvas size would be really good.  Even though one could set the size and it is saved, it would be easy to resize the window accidently and then things would be hosed up.

Glad to hear your granddad was a ham radio operator.  Do you happen to remember what his call was?  You do know that Morse code is no longer a requirement for any license in the US.  The tests are all multiple choice with all pool questions answers and the wrong answers published.  It is now basically a give away.  I have been licensed since 1976 when I still needed the 20 word per minute code.  UGH.

Thanks for helping,

Regards,
George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 06:34 PM »
i might just use no compression for the jpg, and allow you to set in options whether drag file will drag a .png, .bmp, or .jpg file.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:59 PM »
here's a little write up that concerns my grandfather (Frank Matejka) as a ham radio operator in Texas in 1921:

The situation at Texas University was relatively simple; and with the exception of more persons in the room and the addition of an audio amplifier and horn speaker, it could well have been the location of another radio amateur listener. The Gray brothers (now deceased), Clark and Endress manned the transmitter and receiver positions, copying the abbreviations sent from Kyle Field and on occasion, communicating with Saunders. Slips of paper with received abbreviations were passed over a long table to Matejka, who relayed the decoding over a horn speaker through an open window to the many interested University students who had gathered outside to keep up with the progress of the game.

http://w5ac.tamu.edu/5xb.php

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unicode Image Maker: Some Questions
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Mouser,

Thanks for the intersting write-up about your grandfather.  The story was a very good read.  How these old-timers would be amazed at what communications and electronics is like today.  They would really be excited if they could play with the goodies we have today.  I never knew my grandfather, so I never got to talk to him about his efforts.  Did you know your grandfather?

My granddad was also a pioneer in early broadcasting.  He worked with Reginald Fesseden, the first person to do voice broadcasting.  He was Fesseden's chief engineer.  Google "Adam Stein, Jr Fesseden" to read some of their doings in 1906.  I even went up to Brant Rock, Mass in Dec 2006 for the 100 year anniversary and operated the at the special event ham radio station there.

Your suggestions for the drag and drop sound really good.  I think that would work fine.

I notice that in your program, the cursor is always at the middle point of the window.  Since I am looking for a fixed window size, it would be great if the cursor started at the top of the text window and then worked its way down the window as one types and hits return or whatever.  When the top line scrolls off the top, then it is clear that the canvas size has been exceeded, for the given font size and that the user needs to do something about it, if he wants to.  In my case, I would, even though the QSO-TV will scale whatever jpg file is drag and dropped into it.

I presume you are living in Texas.  I am in the northern Sheanadoah Valley in Virginia.  We drove through part of Texas last summer on our way to visit my wife's son in souther NM.

Thanks again,

George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47 AM »
options to change drag file format: done.
option to set exact text panel size: done.
option to set background bitmap image: done.

new version not uploaded yet but will go up tonight.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:13 PM by mouser »

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Hi Mouser,

Fantastic.  Thanks for helping me out with this.  One question, must the background image be bmp?  Just curious.

Regards,
George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15 PM »
any image should be usable.

let me know how the new version works:
https://www.donation...eImageMakerSetup.exe

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Hi Mouser,

Thanks for the link.

Resizing works nicely.

Dragging and dropping worked fine.  However, something strange is happening when the image is pasted into the QSO-TV. The call letters of the operator are displayed (overlaid) on the image automatically by the QSO-TV program.  The call display in the lower right is correct, but the one in the upper left is just a black box along with half of the call shown incorrectly.  This appears to be a problem with non-standard window sizes.  I added the 444x333 size that I needed.

For the default sizes in the program, like 480x400, this is problem does not occur.  So for odd-sizes, something is glitching it.  See the attached pictures.

Suggest putting a check mark in the options when setting screen size just before the screen size so one can tell what the current setting is.

The background picture feature works great.  Nice feature!

Thanks Mouser.  Hopefully you can figure out the glitch.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 01:09 PM »
im not sure i understand what the problem is regarding the sizes.. it sounds like it has nothing to do with unicode image maker, but with the other program.  if so then it's out of my control. or am i wrong?

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Yours is a good question.  I would agree that the problem is with QSO-TV.  I tried other picture sizes (non-standard) and they all worked fine.  Instead of standard sizes in your program, I tried some others and they work.  So I refined my size selection and here are the results:

444x333 does not work
444x332 works
443x332 works
443x333 works

So it appears something is odd with the QSO-TV program.  I will send him a message about this.

So I guess other than a check mark next to the selected screen size, all is working nicely.

Really fantastic effort on your part.

George

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Hi Mouser,

I just want to let you know how much I am enjoying using your Unicode program  It is great!

I wonder if it would be too much trouble to add one thing.  When a picture is imported, the choices are no picture, stretched, tiled.  What would be nice is if the picture is smaller than the screen size, for it to come into the window actual size.  Area where the image is smaller than the Unicode Image Maker Window, would just show whatever the current background color it.  The picture should come in centered within the window.

Anyway, this would be helpful for maintaining the correct picture aspect ratio.

Thanks so much,
George

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05 PM »
Let me clarify what I said in my previous message.  I should have said that even if a picture is LARGER or smallerarger than the screen size, is there a way to scale it to the window, even if the background color ends up showing up along either the left/right edges or the top/bottom edges?

Basically, I would like to be able to load in a picture and have it maintain the aspect ratio with no distortion which happens when a picture is tiled or stretched.

I hope you received by donation.

Thanks,
George

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Hi Mouser,
Hope all is ok with you.  Did you see the above items?

Regards,
George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 07:45 PM »
have it maintain the aspect ratio with no distortion which happens when a picture is tiled or stretched.

yes let me see if i can add this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41 PM »
try downloading the new version (v1.10.01) -- it has a bunch of new background image options.

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Fantastic!  This is just perfect.  Mouser, thanks for making the enhancements.  I really appreciate it.

George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 09:59 AM »
i'm just glad someone finds the program useful  :P

nj3h

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 06:27 PM »
A number of us are using it with the QSO-TV program I mentioned earlier.  It is just what was needed.

The fact that the text can be put in multiple colors, that the text is saved for editing with the pic file, the dragging to the QSO-TV, and the picture importing capability makes this program a real keeper!

Thanks again.

Janmk1978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have a question about Unicode image Maker. I used it before with Vista and don't recall any issyes, but am having problems using it with Win7.

Specifically, I've downloaded a bunch of dingbat type fonts and want to convert them to .png files. I want to use them as decorative elements in various programs, including Microsoft Publisher. I tried several, and got white images and black backgrounds. I want black images on transparent backgrounds. I couldn't find a setting that would make the background transparent. Can somebody help me with this?

Thank you,

Janice

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 03:28 PM »
unicode image maker can do transparent backgrounds and windows 7 should work fine.  one thing though is you have to save as a png file i think.
can you post some screenshots of what is happening and compare it to what you want to happen -- im not sure i completely understand what is going wrong.