topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need recommended site for online data storage with ftp capability  (Read 9613 times)

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have seen a few discussions on DC about online data backup.  However, I am interested to know if anyone has had any experience, good or bad, with any of the sites that permit data to be transferred by ftp.

My primary purpose is to store 10GB to 50GB of files that I can access while I am traveling.  (I already have external HD backup at home).  I am not real concerned about security but I do want it to be reliable.

Must haves:
- FTP capability to upload and download data
- Reliability of service
- Not super expensive

Not important:
- High quality syncing or sophisticated backup capabilities.  Just data storage.

Does anyone have experience with drivehq.com or filesanywhere.com?

Thanks,
jdd
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:34 PM by jdd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't think they have FTP only service, but I've been on JaguarPC web hosting for several years.  They run apache server and are very reliable:
http://www.jaguarpc.com/

The web hosting account claims to boost your disk quota as much as you need. As you park more storage supposedly it's automatically increased. I haven't tested it out since my web content is less than 100 MB. My experience with them has been that they are very responsive to problems.  Also there are user forums hosted by them where you can get tips from other users etc..

You can contact them but I believe to get FTP you'd have to get a web hosting account and a domain name.  The longer the contract the cheaper per month but no commitment monthly is about $10 or $11 a month.  I just upload and download using FileZilla.  If you google .htaccess you can see how to keep outsiders from downloading particular types of files and limit access to the public web stuff(or you could just have one dummy index.html page I suppose,, but the .htaccess keeps people from getting indexes of folders.)

There are also raw storage accounts for less money with other providers but I have no idea how reliable they are.  Jaguar has been around for awhile.  Any outages I've noticed have only lasted a few hours and are unusual/infrequent.

edit: if you have to purchase a domain name you should be able to find one that allows anyone to host it for about $10 a year.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:21 PM by MilesAhead »

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks.  I only need raw storage but if it comes with web-hosting or other stuff that's fine.  BTW, I'm not looking for ftp-only, just something that is ftp capable.  I will check them out.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft will give you a free 25GB Skydrive account. All you need is a free hotmail/live account to get it. If you need more space you can always just open a second account.

No raw FTP I'm afraid...but it's extremely reliable; has some nice file management and sharing features; and integrates very well with MS Office.

Price is right - and Microsoft won't be disappearing anytime soon.

Luck! :Thmbsup:  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:50 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are quite a few cheap options without FTP... Jungle Disk and ZumoDrive being two others.  I'm working on evaluating the differences between these options right now :) But I'm afraid that most of the cloud services seem to frown on FTP, though you get more storage for your use giving up that protocol, and most are available through a myriad of means.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My experience is that it takes forever to upload files of any substantial size using a cable Internet or dsl connection, which is what I have.  How can you do that effectively without FTP?  Am I missing something here?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the average type and size file that makes up your collection?

I'm guessing it's tons of relatively small files?

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My hosting account with Dreamhost includes the capability to backup ANYTHING I want and access it with FTP or SCP.
Here is their description of the service they offer:

You do, however, get one user per account where anything legal may be stored; your Backups User.

This user cannot have any websites pointed to it, nor may you share files via it... it is only to be used as an off-site backup for your personal files.
As such, we keep no backups of files on this account. These are already supposed to be your backups... not your only copy!
(Of course, you should always keep your own copies of all data stored with us.. we make no guarantees!)

Every full DreamHost Hosting plan includes 50GB of backups space!
(Additional usage will be charged at the rate of 10 cents / GB a month: the best backup deal on the net!)

You may access your backup user via ftp, sftp, scp, and rsync!

HTH

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A backup site with the proviso that it doesn't back up your files?  Sounds like an attorney that doesn't give legal advice.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A backup site with the proviso that it doesn't back up your files?  Sounds like an attorney that doesn't give legal advice.

Not really.  Most backup sites only give you the space for one copy- they don't give you 100GB instead of 50GB... it's a space to put your backups.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems of rather limited utility since you can't depend on it to be there.  Safety deposit box in an unlocked vault.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems of rather limited utility since you can't depend on it to be there.  Safety deposit box in an unlocked vault.

And can you depend on your hard drive to be there?  No matter what?  Most people I think, use online backup as sort of an "off site" type of backup.  You back up locally, then copy your backup to an off site location.  At least that's how I'd hope most people use it.  And if you pick reputably, then you can be a lot more confident of your online backups.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I understand how it works. It would have a lot more functionality if the stuff was backed up.  For a free service I can see it.  But I know even though I back up my web site contents, I wouldn't hire out a web server company that didn't even back up their servers.  Seems like a half assed way to do things to me.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I understand how it works. It would have a lot more functionality if the stuff was backed up.  For a free service I can see it.  But I know even though I back up my web site contents, I wouldn't hire out a web server company that didn't even back up their servers.  Seems like a half assed way to do things to me.

I'm sure they back up their servers.  But it's a different thing between backing up servers and guaranteeing those backups to someone else.  My hosting company doesn't advertise that they back up their servers.  But when I've needed something, they do indeed have backups.  It's not part of the plans, and I'm sure if they couldn't find it they'd point to their policy.