topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Not so pointless clickometer!  (Read 22991 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Not so pointless clickometer!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 09:38 PM »
@Chessnia: thanks for the credits and as mouser mentioned, do let us know how it went in the classroom.. :)

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:12 AM »
Sorry I hadn't replied for a week, been really busy. I guess you guys don't have a program to stop time, do you? :)

Ok, I've been using it in class and I have to say that...  kids love it! :)
Normally a class is full of individuals, and this program has the virtue of:

- Letting everyone be part of the same team (it's a bit of a "all of us against the teacher" concept).
- It's been really helpful at getting the kids' attention, which is not always easy!
- Kids tend to get a little bit carried away and can cellebrate guesses pretty much like a crowd at a soccer match! :D

I guess the novelty will wear out, but so far my experience has been better than I expected. :)

The program has already reached a level which is well above my expectations.
Based on my own thoughts and some the comments by the kids in class, these are some of the things I'd like to see for the next version. (I know some of these will be impossible to implement, but here they go anyway.)

- Kids are curious by nature. One question I keep getting is: What happens when the bar gets to the top? So, I thought that it would be great if we could add a feature that lets you add an event when the bar reaches a certain amount. For example, an image pops up on the screen when the red bar reaches 20, or 25 or... whatever. or an image pops up when the green bar reaches... Perhaps you can add more than one picture: picture at 20, 25, etc.
This would give the program awesome flexibility, using different pix for different schools, etc. This is probably my favourite feature request.

- An integrated stopwatch - or better, a countdown. I guess I could use another program for this, but it would be nice if it were included. I often set up a puzzle and give the kids xx seconds to find the answer.

- More bars?  perhaps ability to choose number / colours  of them?
This is actually quite an interesting idea which provides versatility. Maybe each bar can represent a different student, or be used for different types of questions.

- Ability to run Several instances of the program?

- Log results. Click a button to copy to clickboard or something. Or maybe when you start the program you get a question: "what file would you like to log results to?". This is interesting because I can show results achieved by schools from different schools, or simply motivate children to do better than the week before, or achieve their best result ever, and so on.

- One Click button to reset bars? Re-starting the program or clicking manually can take a while.

And here are some ideas that I'm not sure whether are needed or not. Probably not really needed for version 2.

- horizontal version of the program?
- Sound effects?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 04:00 PM »
it's great fun to hear the kids like it.
i think the future ideas are great :up:

almost makes you wonder about a future tool where a teacher could customize the different controls on it in various ways..

SingingBoyo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
  • Java is awesome... C++ needs more libraries
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 10:23 PM »
As it was a bit of a late reply, if lanux doesn't pick the features up in couple of days, I'll see what I can do.  Probably be java, but it should still work.  You AHK people are crazy, you program too fast.

Just a note that I might try it anyway, so I may end up with something here even if lanux keeps going.  All the things I'm working on are in the planning phase, so I need something to do.  The coding snacks seem to be running dry, not many new ideas recently :( Programming is addictive, and this sounds cool.  I'm addicted to programming and I'm in grade 10.  Not good, but slightly humorous  ;D
So you came along and found Java(insert programming language here)? Randomly?  Well then, you're just like me! Java fiends rule.  (Though other languages do have their uses.)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 12:20 AM »
@Chessnia: glad to hear that the kids enjoyed the experience. :) as for new features, i'll summarize your requests and quickly run through it.

1. event-triggered image popupsi can add a parameter so that the program looks for images in a specified folder.
2. countdowni guess i can put another button for this.
3. more barsthis needs some looking into. do you need static x number of bars or will you be looking to change it as the program is running? i might even have to switch from progressbar to sliders for this.
4. several instanceslol, i actually put a keyword to avoid multiple instances. i can undo that. ;)
5. log resultsagain, can be done. what kind of info you want to be logged?
6. quick reset of the barssorry about this, it crossed my mind. will add this pronto. :-[
7. horizontal versionthis can also be made configurable.
8. sound effectswith kids around, this sounds like an absolutely must-have! ;D this is similar to #1 in a sense and will be based on event-triggers, i guess? also if you have some sample of sound-bytes, i can add them into the app.

so basically, shouldn't have much problems with the new requests. will keep you updated..

@SingingBoyo: please do continue with the Java version. the more the merrier :)

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 04:22 AM »
Hi Lanux!

1 - Yes, that sounds good. I was wondering if it can be set up in the .ini file. "when_green_bar=20_event=showimage1.png", etc.
I'm not sure how the image would be displayed though, ideally close to the program itself (on the screen).
2 - I'm not sure how to display this, to be honest. Maybe a little clock, just the digits, use the grid as a countdown bar... no sure yet. Option to choose the amount of time.
3 - I was thinking static  bars. i.e. I choose the number of bars before I run the program. Maybe I can choose the colour of each bar...
5 - Namely 2 things: the digits: red bar=10, green bar=5, yellow bar=x. and a name for the file. That way, perhaps it can loaded/saved.
8 - I agree. Although I have to say that the speakers on laptops are usually not very powerful! that's why I put that in the "not so important" list.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39 AM »
this might be a good program to keep developing and extending for NANY 2011.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 11:56 AM »
this might be a good program to keep developing and extending for NANY 2011.
Love the idea, but then it isn't really a New App at that point is it? ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 12:01 PM »
i think we are relaxing the definition of "new app" a little this year.. as long as it stays in a kind of non-widespread release state until then it will qualify.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Wasn't really too worried about it.  Heck, it is still in development anyway.  If that stretches out and a help file is added and features keep being added and whatnot, it may be the new year before full release...

SingingBoyo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
  • Java is awesome... C++ needs more libraries
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 08:35 PM »
People are looking for NANY app ideas already.  Hmm... maybe I'll create 4D tic-tac-toe.  That'd be interesting  >:D  Impossible to play though

@Lanux: I'll do it at some point.  Haven't even started yet, making java apps is quite the process if you want to make them extensible.
So you came along and found Java(insert programming language here)? Randomly?  Well then, you're just like me! Java fiends rule.  (Though other languages do have their uses.)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 09:57 PM »
i started working on the newer version but haven't released it yet. here's a screenshot that shows some of the new features. among the features already included are:

• counter reset button
• countdown button (configurable: color of text and delay)
• Ability to save/load bar info.
• several instances of the program

clickometer2_29_05_2010.pngIDEA: Not so pointless clickometer!

ok, that's about it. awaiting feedback now.. :)

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Nice work.
I actually had a different idea in mind for those buttons and the countdown: more compact
I'll edit a screenshot within the next 24 hours!.

Regards!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 06:07 AM »
Nice work.
I actually had a different idea in mind for those buttons and the countdown: more compact
I'll edit a screenshot within the next 24 hours!.

ok, i'll wait for your screenshot edit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:57 AM by lanux128 »

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 07:43 AM »
Yes, I am!

I started working on the design I thought I wanted, but didn't like what I saw on my screen! :D

But ok, I've made some changes and this is, perhaps, how I think the program could look like. It's more compact in the sense that it has no text buttons, I'd rather use icons as buttons, and the icons are integrated within the standard size of the program.
The countdown appears at the top.
The icons don't necessarilly have to look like that or anything, they're just an idea.
3d bars? interesting, although I guess that's an idea for version 3. :D

Sorry I took more than 24 hours!

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 05:16 AM »
Latest update, image showing problem:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 05:50 AM »
don't worry, the font and its size are configurable (the default size is 24). also you can try some of the digital readout fonts.

clickometer2-10_07_2010-001.pngIDEA: Not so pointless clickometer!

Chessnia

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • CHESSNIA
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 05:52 AM »
Oh, ok! :)

Thanks for that.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 01:31 PM »
a slightly more compact version uploaded with other enhancements as well. do check it out.. :)

Clickometer2-12_07_2010-001.pngIDEA: Not so pointless clickometer!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 10:33 PM »
well, here's version 2.. among the new features are:

1. countdown beep (wav or mp3), you can set this in the INI file.
2. countdown timer is now stoppable.
3. images/sounds (yay!). i've put in a text file in the respective folders, explaining how they work.
4. basically the order of preference are like this:
   a) images: png, jpg, bmp
   b) sounds: wav, mp3

5. the images will disappear as the counter changes but you can also press 'Esc' to close them.

i hope i didn't break anything, please try this out and let me know. and thanks to Chessnia for his feedback and testing. :up:

note to self:
items (3) and (7) on the todo list