topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Need ADH Advice  (Read 27030 times)

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need ADH Advice
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:09 PM »
You, Skrommel, were kind enough to write a AHK program for me to provide a hotkey to display a little window showing what program owns the window under the cursor. When pushed a second time, the little window goes away. I use it all the time. (Program at end).

I tried to modify it to be a simple program, rather than a hotkey by removing this line:

!^w::

It sort of works, but the feature of the second call clearing the little window is gone. I don't know the AHK script language at all.  Any idea what I did wrong.

Thanks -- Vincent

PS I wonder why you haven't made this one of your publicly available (or did I miss it). I find it invaluable.

Code: AutoIt [Select]
  1. ;AutoHotkeys.ahk
  2. ;Vincent Kruskal's Hotkeys
  3. ;Skrommel @ 2007
  4. ;Kruskal  @ 2007
  6. #SingleInstance,Force
  7. #NoEnv
  9. !^w::
  10.   If ToolTipFlag=
  11.     {
  12.       MouseGetPos,x,y,winid,ctrlid
  13.       WinGet,pid,Pid,ahk_id %winid%
  14.       path:=GetModuleFileNameEx(pid)
  15.       ToolTip,%path%
  16.       ToolTipFlag = 1
  17.     }
  18.   Else
  19.     {
  20.       ToolTip,
  21.       ToolTipFlag =
  22.     }
  24. #q::
  25.   SoundPlay,C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Sound Effects\silence.wav
  29. GetModuleFileNameEx(p_pid) ;by shimanov at www.autohotkey
  30. {
  31.    If A_OSVersion in WIN_95,WIN_98,WIN_ME
  32.    {
  33.      WinGet,name,ProcessName,ahk_id %p_pid%
  34.      Return,name
  35.    }
  36.    h_process:=DllCall("OpenProcess","uint",0x10|0x400,"int",false,"uint",p_pid) ;  PROCESS_VM_READ=0x0010  PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION=0x0400
  37.    If (ErrorLevel or h_process=0)
  38.       Return
  39.    name_size=255
  40.    VarSetCapacity(name,name_size)  
  41.    result:=DllCall("psapi.dll\GetModuleFileNameExA","uint",h_process,"uint",0,"str",name,"uint",name_size)
  42.    DllCall("CloseHandle",h_process)
  43.    Return,name
  44. }

Edit by Skwire: Added code tags.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 10:20 PM by skwire »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need ADH Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:39 PM »
if you remove the hotkey, how do you fire the script off?

i think the answer is to use a delay then to destroy the tooltip (but the above still applies...) 

note that the code is untested, but I've just omitted the unnecessary lines so it should work as is

;AutoHotkeys.ahk
;Vincent Kruskal's Hotkeys
;Skrommel @ 2007
;Kruskal  @ 2007

#SingleInstance,Force
#NoEnv

!^w::

MouseGetPos,x,y,winid,ctrlid
WinGet,pid,Pid,ahk_id %winid%
path:=GetModuleFileNameEx(pid)
ToolTip,%path%

Sleep, 2500 ;this introduces a delay (in milliseconds).  Change the value to whatever suits

ToolTip,

Return

#q::
  SoundPlay,C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Sound Effects\silence.wav
  Return

GetModuleFileNameEx(p_pid) ;by shimanov at www.autohotkey
{
   If A_OSVersion in WIN_95,WIN_98,WIN_ME
   {
     WinGet,name,ProcessName,ahk_id %p_pid%
     Return,name
   }
   h_process:=DllCall("OpenProcess","uint",0x10|0x400,"int",false,"uint",p_pid) ;  PROCESS_VM_READ=0x0010  PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION=0x0400
   If (ErrorLevel or h_process=0)
      Return
   name_size=255
   VarSetCapacity(name,name_size)   
   result:=DllCall("psapi.dll\GetModuleFileNameExA","uint",h_process,"uint",0,"str",name,"uint",name_size)
   DllCall("CloseHandle",h_process)
   Return,name
}

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:41 PM »
if you remove the hotkey, how do you fire the script off?

i think the answer is to use a delay then to destroy the tooltip (but the above still applies...) 

note that the code is untested, but I've just omitted the unnecessary lines so it should work as is

[snip]

I use PowerPro to issue the EXE compiled from the AHK code. I've been having trouble with some timing problem which reorders my keystrokes when the computer is stressed. I thought switching to just one key grabber might fix it.

I can see how the delay would work and it might be OK. But I really prefer the previous behavior. How did the original work wrt making the little window disappear everyother use?

Thanks -- Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26 PM »
I tried to modify it to be a simple program

What was your expectation after doing this?

How did the original work wrt making the little window disappear everyother use?

It uses the "ToolTipFlag" variable as a toggle to determine whether to display the display the tooltip or cause it to disappear.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:29 PM »
the conditional IF statement determines what happens depending on the value of the tooltipflag variable - IF the variable contains a value, show the tooltip and , ELSE clear the tooltip

the reason it's not working for you without the hotkey (and I'm assuming you're compiling it) is that it resets the flag every time and the code that clears the tooltip is never called

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:21 PM »
I tried to modify it to be a simple program
What was your expectation after doing this?
I expected that using PowerPro to support the hotkey to call the simple program would behave the same as it had with the AHK hotkey.

Thanks -- Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 11:24 PM »
I expected that using PowerPro to support the hotkey to call the simple program would behave the same as it had with the AHK hotkey.

What you want can easily be done with a simple INI settings file to save the toggle setting between application runs.  Give me a minute.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 11:27 PM »
the reason it's not working for you without the hotkey (and I'm assuming you're compiling it) is that it resets the flag every time and the code that clears the tooltip is never called
I'd like to understand how variables, such as tooltipflag work, such that it keeps its value over two AHK calls but not over two calls from PowerPro.

What is the significance of your (true) assumption that I compiled the code?  Would it work as I wanted if I didn't compile it?

Thanks -- Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:36 PM »
Actually...if you change it into an executable, the tooltip will disappear almost immediately after starting the script because the script exits immediately.  This app could be made to show the tooltip, say, for five seconds and then exit thus making the tooltip disappear on its own.  In other words:

1) Run you hotkey to start the app.
2) App displays tooltip for user-specified length of time.
3) App exits and tooltip disappears.  There would be no need to run the hotkey a second time to make the tooltip disappear.

Would that work for you?

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Actually...if you change it into an executable, the tooltip will disappear almost immediately after starting the script because the script exits immediately.  This app could be made to show the tooltip, say, for five seconds and then exit thus making the tooltip disappear on its own.  In other words:

1) Run you hotkey to start the app.
2) App displays tooltip for user-specified length of time.
3) App exits and tooltip disappears.  There would be no need to run the hotkey a second time to make the tooltip disappear.

Would that work for you?
I'm not at my main computer right now, but I'm pretty sure that you are wrong. The little window showing the window owning program stays displayed after the program exits (as I recall).

I could live with the timeout, but I really don't prefer it. I frequently have to do a lot of stuff based on the information and I'd have to write it down.

What happened to the INI solution? I was looking forward to details.

Thanks -- Vincent

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 11:46 PM »
I'd like to understand how variables, such as tooltipflag work, such that it keeps its value over two AHK calls but not over two calls from PowerPro.

the original AHK script is persistent, ie it runs and stays resident.  Triggering the hotkey fires the routine which assesses the value of the tooltipflag variable and processes accordingly

calling the recompiled script from powerpro destroys the previous instance, and the script starts again from scratch - in this case the 'default' action is to display the tooltip, so repeatedly running the script will have no discernable effect

What is the significance of your (true) assumption that I compiled the code?  Would it work as I wanted if I didn't compile it?

no particular significance, it was just my assumption of how you were doing things - ultimately it probably wouldn't make any difference (other than the fact that you need to have AHK installed in order to run an uncompiled script)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:59 PM »
I'm not at my main computer right now, but I'm pretty sure that you are wrong. The little window showing the window owning program stays displayed after the program exits (as I recall).

It stayed showing because you had a second hotkey (#q::) defined in the script which made the script never exit/end.

I could live with the timeout, but I really don't prefer it. I frequently have to do a lot of stuff based on the information and I'd have to write it down.

How about displaying it while simultaneous copying the data to your clipboard?

The fact is, without some sort of delay, that type of script will start, run the code, and exit in the blink of an eye.  When it exits, it destroys any tooltip created.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:01 AM by skwire »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08 AM »
further to skwires explanation here's an example that writes to an ini file, but as he says, as soon as the exe...umm... exits, any windows or values are lost

;AutoHotkeys.ahk
;Vincent Kruskal's Hotkeys
;Skrommel @ 2007
;Kruskal  @ 2007

#SingleInstance,Force
#NoEnv

iniread, tooltipflag, VKh.ini, flag, status

If ToolTipFlag = 0
{
MouseGetPos,x,y,winid,ctrlid
WinGet,pid,Pid,ahk_id %winid%
path:=GetModuleFileNameEx(pid)
ToolTip,%path%
iniwrite, 1, VKH.ini, flag, status
}
Else
{
ToolTip,
iniwrite,0, VKH.ini, flag, status
}
sleep, 5000

exitapp
Return

#q::
  SoundPlay,C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Sound Effects\silence.wav
  Return

GetModuleFileNameEx(p_pid) ;by shimanov at www.autohotkey
{

If A_OSVersion in WIN_95,WIN_98,WIN_ME,WIN_XP
   {
     WinGet,name,ProcessName,ahk_id %p_pid%
     Return,name
   }
   h_process:=DllCall("OpenProcess","uint",0x10|0x400,"int",false,"uint",p_pid) ;  PROCESS_VM_READ=0x0010  PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION=0x0400
   If (ErrorLevel or h_process=0)
      Return
   name_size=255
   VarSetCapacity(name,name_size)   
   result:=DllCall("psapi.dll\GetModuleFileNameExA","uint",h_process,"uint",0,"str",name,"uint",name_size)
   DllCall("CloseHandle",h_process)
   Return,name
}

and the only reason this one works is because there's a short delay at the end to display the tooltip...

seems like the original solution might still be the best one for your situation

just out of curiosity is there any reason why you couldn't translate the script into powerpro?  I suspect this may alleviate a lot of the issues you're experiencing (don't ask me, I don't know the language, but my feeling is that it shouldn't be that hard to do... hehe, famous last words...) 

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 12:13 AM »

It stayed showing because you had a second hotkey (#q::) defined in the script which made the script never exit/end.
I was wondering about that. I probably added that at some point. Any idea why I wanted to have a hotkey sound silence????

How about displaying it while simultaneous copying the data to your clipboard?
Cute idea (if I knew how to do it). But I really don't need a copy of the information -- I need to act on it.

The fact is, without some sort of delay, that type of script will start, run the code, and exit in the blink of an eye.  When it exits, it destroys any tooltip created.  

That's a disappointment.  So there is no solution consistent with my preferences?

Thanks -- Vincent
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:15 AM by Kruskal »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 12:29 AM »
That's a disappointment.  So there is no solution consistent with my preferences?

I could make it display a small GUI window instead of using a tooltip.  This way, you could move it out of the way, leave it open as long as necessary, and close it when you're done.  Your thoughts?

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 12:35 AM »
further to skwires explanation here's an example that writes to an ini file, but as he says, as soon as the exe...umm... exits, any windows or values are lost

[clip]

and the only reason this one works is because there's a short delay at the end to display the tooltip...

seems like the original solution might still be the best one for your situation

just out of curiosity is there any reason why you couldn't translate the script into powerpro?  I suspect this may alleviate a lot of the issues you're experiencing (don't ask me, I don't know the language, but my feeling is that it shouldn't be that hard to do... hehe, famous last words...)  

What would happen if one instance of the EXE was in its delay when I make the second call to clear the tooltip? If the answer is to my liking, I could make the delay 5 hours, or so, and essentially get the behavior I want.

My reason not to write a PowerPro script is that I understand THAT even less than my deplorable knowledge of AHK.  Also, I'd probably run into the same problem.  And also, I think tooltip is an AHK facility, no?

Thanks -- Vincent

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 12:38 AM »
That's a disappointment.  So there is no solution consistent with my preferences?

I could make it display a small GUI window instead of using a tooltip.  This way, you could move it out of the way, leave it open as long as necessary, and close it when you're done.  Your thoughts?
If I knew how to do it it would be great. Even better than what I am used to -- closing a window is more natural that hotkeying a second time. AND I could even have two GUI windows up at the same time.

Thanks -- Vincent
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:42 AM by Kruskal »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 12:52 AM »
What would happen if one instance of the EXE was in its delay when I make the second call to clear the tooltip? If the answer is to my liking, I could make the delay 5 hours, or so, and essentially get the behavior I want.

as it stands subsequent calls will kill the existing instance - to change that amend the opening line to

#singleinstance, off

the only issue here is deciding what tooltip belongs to what call - plus you'll end up with XX instances of the script running concurrently (which may or may not be an issue)

My reason not to write a PowerPro script is that I understand THAT even less than my deplorable knowledge of AHK.  Also, I'd probably run into the same problem.  And also, I think tooltip is an AHK facility, no?

I'm with you - I used to run Powerpro strictly as a custom launchbar, and I thought the language looked quite powerful (this seems to be the popular view) but I never was able to get into it.

It is probably safe however to assume that powerpro has an equivalent to the tooltip functionality

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02 AM »
If I knew how to do it it would be great. Even better than what I am used to -- closing a window is more natural that hotkeying a second time.

I'd be more than happy to write this up for you.  Give me a few minutes.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 01:04 AM »

as it stands subsequent calls will kill the existing instance - to change that amend the opening line to

#singleinstance, off

the only issue here is deciding what tooltip belongs to what call - plus you'll end up with XX instances of the script running concurrently (which may or may not be an issue)

[clip]

I don't think the multiple instances is an issue, especially if I reduce the ridiculous 5 hour example.

But the other question is a worry. Are you saying that there can (or may be) two tooltips at once? If it's not a single instance thing, that would certainly kill my idea.

Thanks -- Vincent

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 01:07 AM »

#singleinstance, off

[clip]

I don't think the multiple instances is an issue, especially if I reduce the ridiculous 5 hour example.

But the other question is a worry. Are you saying that there can (or may be) two tooltips at once? If it's not a single instance thing, that would certainly kill my idea.

Thanks -- Vincent

What a minute-- if the second call kills the first, that is perfect. It will kill the delay (and tooltip window) and, by using the INI thing, otherwise be a nop.

Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Try this:  http://skwire.dcmemb...s/snacks/Kruskal.zip

It's very basic right now but things could be easily added to it.  It's set to kill any existing instance but this can easily be changed to allow multiple instances.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 12:30 PM »
Try this:  http://skwire.dcmemb...s/snacks/Kruskal.zip

It's very basic right now but things could be easily added to it.  It's set to kill any existing instance but this can easily be changed to allow multiple instances.
That's fantastic.

I changed it to permit multiple instances. But that raised the issue of where the info window should go. It would be better to put it at the cursor position in the multiple info window case so that the two window don't go on top of each other.

I boldly tried to do that by changing these two lines:

Gui, Add, Button, x%x% y%y% w20  h20 Default Hide vmyButton gGuiClose, Exit
Gui, Add, Edit  , x%x% y%y% w400 h20 ReadOnly                        , % Path
                       ||||||||||||||||

But that just created randomly sized info windows. How should I do it?

Many thanks -- Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:29 PM »
How should I do it?

You had the right idea...just use the Gui, Show line.

1. ; Use...
  2. Gui, Show, % "x " . x . " y " . y, Kruskal ; I prefer this method which uses a forced expression.
  3. ; Or...
  4. Gui, Show, x%x% y%y%, Kruskal ; When you're first learning AHK, this method probably seems easier.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38 PM »
How should I do it?

You had the right idea...just use the Gui, Show line.

1. ; Use...
  2. Gui, Show, % "x " . x . " y " . y, Kruskal ; I prefer this method which uses a forced expression.
  3. ; Or...
  4. Gui, Show, x%x% y%y%, Kruskal ; When you're first learning AHK, this method probably seems easier.

Perfect!  You guys are great.

Just a small matter of curiosity: Why does the cursor move from the upper-left corner of where the info window now appears to the middle of its header bar?

Thanks -- Vincent

I have the answer. The missing statement that prevented the behavior I expected was:

CoordMode Mouse, Screen
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:30 AM by Kruskal »