topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Steam Sale: 50% off Guild Wars Trilogy  (Read 20977 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steam Sale: 50% off Guild Wars Trilogy
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 08:11 AM »
BTW, if the last Steam updated resulted in a non working Steam, with "unable to load modules" error or something like that, I found a fix using google : basically, you rename Steam.dll in the Steam top program directory, launch Steam again, it reloads the "full" update and starts to work again.
.merle1.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 10:10 AM »
But think of all the money you would have saved if you had played what you already own.

Not really, you only delay the inevitable ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 10:26 AM »
But think of all the money you would have saved if you had played what you already own.

:Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 06:17 PM »

Not necessarily. If I had spent my time playing what I already owned instead of buying a new game, then by the time I finished the games I already owned, the "new" ones would no longer be new and would likely be greatly reduced in price. Maybe even available on a $5 or $10 Steam sale instead of $30 or $40.

Time is slowly teaching me that being an Early Adopter with paid software/hardware usually means you get the short straw. In the case of PC games, a lot of them need serious bug patching for the first few weeks/months and are $50-$60. In the case of gaming consoles, usually in a year or two a newer model comes out with better features (though sometimes features are removed, as was the case with the PS3's backwards compatibility) and there's a price drop.

If I had purchased all my games for $30 or less instead of buying them new for $50 for the past 10 years, I'd have had hundreds of dollars to spend on other games or other things. And that's even if I had bought all the games I already own. It would have just cost less total because I'd have waited for the price to go down due to playing my games to the end.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Yeah... I learned that a while ago.  Which is why it is only a delay of the inevitable now.  That is, unless I can't find it by the time I want to play it. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 03:54 AM »
That is, unless I can't find it by the time I want to play it. :)

That's happened to me a couple of times. Most notably for Gene Wars and RPG Maker 3.

For Gene Wars I had played the demo and a couple years later tried to find it and it was gone. A couple years ago I managed to find it on eBay but I could never get the thing to work in DOSBox. I can't remember if it had some sort of copy protection (i.e. paragraph 2, line 4, word 6 of page 32 in the manual) or if it just didn't work.

And RPG Maker 3 was brand new in the store when I saw it and about two months later I had the money to buy it and it was permanently out of stock everywhere. Instant collector's item, I guess.

But this thread is starting to get way off topic now...

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 03:04 PM »
That's an interesting idea- I think I'll do the same on my blog.  (Of course, I could be playing during that time, but that would make too much sense LOL )

UPDATE: So a partial list for me is now at http://wraith808.com/blog/?p=36.  This is only my PC games, and only those purchased since 1/1/2009 (to go any older would probably make me ill...)

I think in similar honesty I will update my list with unplayed / played only a little

Steam + gog + Impulse have added a lot, but I was always bad before.

Normal sales and ebay

And why? Because games disappear, so even if you dont have time to play it now, if you want to explore it some day you better grab it while it is still findable...

I know many people desperate for System Shock 2 or Planescape Torment (that finally got rereleased). I have both, and I played both :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 07:48 PM »
And why? Because games disappear, so even if you dont have time to play it now, if you want to explore it some day you better grab it while it is still findable...

I know many people desperate for System Shock 2 or Planescape Torment (that finally got rereleased). I have both, and I played both :)

I can definitely see the logic in this when it comes to a lot of games, but not Guild Wars. One day, some day, the servers are going to be turned off so when this game is impossible to find there'll be no way to play it anyway.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 03:08 PM »

I can definitely see the logic in this when it comes to a lot of games, but not Guild Wars. One day, some day, the servers are going to be turned off so when this game is impossible to find there'll be no way to play it anyway.

Guild Wars, so far, is still live several years on, even without subscriptions. Just received a whole bunch of updates, too.

But yes, it's a risk - any online function could disappear one day - that's why I have so few MMOs and I certainly dont buy them "defensively" like  do for other games :)

And this is a bigger problem than one thinks, not just pure online games. After all nowadays we have games we cannot play without a connection to a policing server. That goes offline (say the company goes bankrupt, the studio closed etc.) then suddenly you can't play. I accept that from a pure online game, but not from an offline game :)