topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Process Tamer speeds up my games & internet speed!  (Read 20187 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer speeds up my games & internet speed!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 06:26 PM »
To me your list of speedup software seems overly excessive. I suspect a lot of overlapping functionality within this set.

When you start a gaming session, would it not be smarter to disable (MS Windows and 3rth party) services and other background tasks (indexing for example) that are not essential for the game? Throwing in the famous car analogy...'nothing beats cubic inches'.

Go and look at sites like www.blackviper.com to see which services can be disabled. Besides spending some time this solution is free, unlike all those more or less 'snakeoil' type of software you mentioned.

IMO, those programs are good to cleanup a PC and make sure unnecessary utilities are not running when you don't need them... but they won't really boost PC performance that much until one can feel the difference (normally you will need a benchmark program to see the difference).

Your suggestion of disabling services too has no big effect on overall PC performance... the crucial point is, if one really need to squeeze very bit of extra memory or every bit of other PC components's performance (e.g. hardisk I/O or display), it seems to me that PC is not suitable for gaming.

i.e. if one has a PC which is good enough for average gaming requirements, those efforts of tunning is not worth the small performance gain.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 06:32 PM by tslim »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Though the essence of your point may be correct, it doesn't take into account something that hits many gamers, especially in these times- economics.  Sometimes you can't afford to upgrade- do you then stop gaming until you can?  I think that there are quite a few cases where extra processes can mean the difference between a playable game experience and not, and I've been in that boat where I'm trying to squeeze a few extra FPS out of my system.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 04:54 AM »
Sometimes you can't afford to upgrade- do you then stop gaming until you can? 
Sure, my answer is NO. You can always choose to just stop playing only game that requires hardware upgrade, until you can.

I think that there are quite a few cases where extra processes can mean the difference between a playable game experience and not, and I've been in that boat where I'm trying to squeeze a few extra FPS out of my system.
I don't really know what do you mean by "quite a few cases".
If it means most of the games that you are playing, then again, I will still suggest an hardware upgrade.
If many of the games that you want to play requires hardware upgrade and you really feel painful (burget short) to do it, may be it is time to stop playing games and go make some extra money...  :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 09:48 AM »
It's not happening *now*, but it has happened in the past.  And sometimes there *is* no other way to make extra money over what you're doing, so perhaps games are your only escape from the doldrums of life.  My point is that everyone isn't in the same boat, so to suggest that these are never needed when I know from personal experience that they work is sort of disingenuous.  Are they a replacement for having good parts- no.  But if you don't have the parts or the money, they are definitely somewhere you can look...

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Well, I do remember when I was a student, I have all the time and interest to play many computer games... but I can't afford to buy them.
Now, I have no problem, be it upgrade my PC or buying a computer game, but I don't have that much time... sigh! :(
What worries me the most is, in the future when I retire, I might have both time and money for computer games... but I might not have interest in playing them any more. :P

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Hi Cyberdiva, well this fight between malwarbytes and iobit started since iobit proposed to their users to make a comparative reports on how iobit security 360 manage infrctions alerts, so they started to make reports and test against free antimalware softs, such as superantuspyware, malwarebytes antimalwre... and reports camed that iobit behaved well compared others and also the testers used themselves virus files for testing and iobit didnt provided those, but sure iobit has also virus database that are updated if users sends some new ones.
Hi, ha14.  It's certainly true that Iobit would be updating its database in response to user submissions.  However, as I recall, there were certain aspects of the evidence that Malwarebytes uncovered that seemed pretty compelling.  It's been a while since I read the discussions both on the Malwarebytes site and elsewhere, but if I recall correctly, Iobit did remove certain parts of their database after the Malwarebytes' accusation, and Iobit's performance fell substantially without those parts.  I confess, though, that I didn't pay a LOT of attention to this issue, so it's very possible there are aspects I know nothing about.  

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I used iobit advanced system care like 3 years ago, that time Iobit security 360 was possibly under development and was not in their web page, well Iobit advanced system care has an antispyware module in it, so what ever Iobit security 360 was hit then this will affect Advanced system care. Now I check also my boot racing using bootracer
http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

I found also a giveaway contest
http://www.techishar...peed-with-bootracer/

so if someone would like a chance then here it this.

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 11:27 AM »
A little off topic, I know; but only a little,... I need to ask for an advice:

I NEVER use my computer for gaming, but I have not been able to figure out what services,  if any,  to disable,  in order to free a little more memory. Directions, please?

32-bits Vista Home Premium SP-1

I'm hanging on to XP but wanted to tell you that  turning off a multitude of services I didn't use sped it up - hugely.  I am not connected to a network so all the network stuff was using up system resources for no reason. If you aren't part of a network you should also reap good benefits by freeing yourself of services you aren't using. A search for Windows Vista Services will produce very good information on what you can and cannot disable.

Good luck to you.

3of0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Awesome site.

Too bad BV doesn't have a "make donation" button on his website. I almost feel I owe him something.

He does, under Support BV: Donate! on the left side.