topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Explorer right click menu without right clicking?  (Read 10911 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Explorer right click menu without right clicking?
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:36 AM »
Hi

Does anyone know a way or an app that would give me right click explorer menu? Bear in mind that I am not looking for a right mouse click emulator, that is just piece of cake in AHK. I just need a little app that can bring explorer menu without clicking in white space, folders etc. I know right click menu is based on the context.

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Explorer right click menu without right clicking?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41 AM »
You mean like pressing the APP key?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:45 AM »
never used an app key to be honest(my spare buttons are generally rigged up for other stuff), and I am on a laptop most of the time nowadays. Is that what it does ? Again though I do not want mouse button simulation. If the app button is a real menu button then it should be possible to call the appkey code in AHK.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13 AM »
Shift-F10 is also a pretty standard keyboard shortcut for bringing up the context menu for the selected item.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:15 AM »
never used an app key to be honest(my spare buttons are generally rigged up for other stuff), and I am on a laptop most of the time nowadays. Is that what it does ? Again though I do not want mouse button simulation. If the app button is a real menu button then it should be possible to call the appkey code in AHK.

The Apps key will bring up the context menu for the focused application.  I understood your original query to be different than this.  I understood it to be that you wanted the Explorer context menu no matter what other application you happened to be working in.  Can you clarify?

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44 AM »
I understood your original query to be different than this.  I understood it to be that you wanted the Explorer context menu no matter what other application you happened to be working in.

If you had several Explorer windows open, on which unfocused window would the menu work?  Desktop?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:05 AM »
as mwb1100 said: Shift+F10

Shift-F10 is also a pretty standard keyboard shortcut for bringing up the context menu for the selected item.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:10 AM »
Hi

thanks for all the great replies. My main problem is that I work with VPN drives-folder-files alot and mouse right click on those folders can be quite painful and slow because I think Windows tries to cache the files or does some other thing I do not know. So I am hoping to bypass the way Windows does the right click and just get the damn right click menu without prior processing. At least that is my basic idea.

I will try above sugesstions

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I think I understand.....

Like 'folders view' on the left of explorer,
you would like the right click options to be similar.
Or even a button to push like folders view,
and have a right click view button.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 02:26 PM »
thanks for all the great replies. My main problem is that I work with VPN drives-folder-files alot and mouse right click on those folders can be quite painful and slow because I think Windows tries to cache the files or does some other thing I do not know. So I am hoping to bypass the way Windows does the right click and just get the damn right click menu without prior processing. At least that is my basic idea.

In that case, I don't think any solution is going to help you much.  Whether you bring up the context menu via a legitimate right-click or programmatically via the ShellContextMenu() method I linked above, you're still bringing up the same context menu.  Short of finding a misbehaving shell extension, I would think it's going to take the same amount of time no matter which way you do it.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:30 PM »
skwire, sure I understand that. But think about this  scenario: you have explorer open and you are under a VPN folder. Now you want to delete a folder you have couple options,

select the file-right click-delete which take the longest
select the file, just delete
select the file and use the delete icon in the explorer pane either on top or on the side.

So obviously one would go for the 2nd or 3rd option. If one can access the functions on the shell menu without invoking it, then no needfor dealing with the right click menu

I guess what I need is then a pseudo explorer menu with explorer functions that does not use Windows shell context

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23 AM »
Are there many context menu choices you need?  Or do you mostly use Delete and one or two others?   If so, maybe some specific keyboard or mouse shortcuts would be a different approach.
select the file, just delete
for example, I have Delete assigned to a mouse rocker gesture (left click-middle click).  So in this case after selecting the file I'd delete it like that, no menu or keyboard required.

Or you could make a custom menu with the commands you want in a macro program.  I've no experience with this but at least one if not both of the macro programs I use (Macro Express and AutoHotkey) can do this.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:26 AM by AndyM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 02:17 AM »
If it's okay to be hotkeys rather than mouse I have something already coded that might be useful.  It's called Selector.  You can see a screen shot on this page:

http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

It's kind of an oddball launcher using selected text or clipboard text.  If you have a file or folder highlighted in Explorer the param sent to the program you launch from the list will be the complete path of the selected file/folder.

Since it really has nothing to do with Explorer, just the clipboard, you wouldn't invoke the context menu overhead.  You populate the ListBox by dragging either programs or shortcuts onto it.  It then prompts you for a short name to put in the ListBox.

It has a mechanism to select from a list of hotkeys.  I haven't worked on it for awhile to add any mouse hotkeys.  One novel feature, if the selected text should have spaces it has a custom Go button that wraps the param in quotes to avoid the "c:\program " not found business.

edit: I wrote Selector mainly to click in a browser address bar and open with a different browser without using plugins, or pick up selected text from an editor etc...  but for your purpose you probably want something that would cycle through multiple selections in the clipboard.  Selector is designed to really work with a single item.  The same principle should adapt to an ahk script though.. maybe a small GUI with a few buttons for common tasks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:34 PM by MilesAhead »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Thanks for the additional suggestions. It looks like I will try building a
custom menu for myself.

The delete example was a simple one. Obviosuly I can just use delete. But I
have other shell menu stuff that I rely on when I am using any folder, like
copying paths, running a cygwin bash shell, running a searcher from that
particular folder etc etc. So I am just afraid that some stuff cannot be just
put on a menu but I will try

@MilesAhead
I will check out Selector to see what it is offerng, it might be a good start
for me..

bleh75

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I'm not really tech savvy but do you mean something like this :

http://www.snapfiles...HotKeyz/hotkeyz.html

I've never had had a bad download from them and they have right click menu extensions  if I worded that right.They have well sorted download pages for freeware and shareware.Not sure exactly what you want I just mess around on the PC  :-[