topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Tool to easily disable/enable hardware device  (Read 6439 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Tool to easily disable/enable hardware device
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:58 PM »
I've been looking for a tool that lets me easily (shortcut, hotkey) disable and enable a hardware device.

Reason: I recently bought a new laptop that has an annoying whining noise coming from the speaker. It's not really noticeable when I listen to music, watch a video, etc. i.e. something with sound, but when I don't want to listen to anything, it's annoying. Disabling the soundcard makes the noise go away. Ideally I should get a new laptop, but I'm not too hopeful that the problem will be fixed with a new laptop (more people with same problem), and I'm hoping for a BIOS and/or driver update that'll fix the problem...  :(

...anyway, as long as the problem persists it would be great to have a tool that I can use with a hotkey to toggle the soundcard easily. I'm on Win7 x64, btw. I've tried MS' devcon, which is a "command-line utility [that] functions as an alternative to Device Manager" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272), but apparently it doesn't work on Win7 (not disabling/enabling anyway, it reads the list of devices all right).

I'm sure an AHK script could be written for this purpose and I'm hoping for some assistance from one of the fine coders of DC  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Tool to easily disable/enable hardware device
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but, doesn't your laptop have a key for that already?  Mine has.  The (blue) Fn function overlay key (situated between left Ctrl and left Win keys) operates with keypad right and left arrows to increase and decrease volume, and as a shortcut to silence, Fn-F6 silences the speaker altogether.  The keys have the extra functions shown as blue icons.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Yes, I've tried mute, but unfortunately muting the speakers doesn't have any effect on my problem.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:15 PM »
this doesn't help, but it sounds like (?) a power hum (leaking from the PS?)

if it is then disabling the soundcard probably won't have any effect (the fact that muting has no effect would seem to support this...)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:34 PM »
...anyway, as long as the problem persists it would be great to have a tool that I can use with a hotkey to toggle the soundcard easily. I'm on Win7 x64, btw. I've tried MS' devcon, which is a "command-line utility [that] functions as an alternative to Device Manager" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272), but apparently it doesn't work on Win7 (not disabling/enabling anyway, it reads the list of devices all right).
Are you remembering to run it from an elevated command prompt?

Also, have you tried disabling any sound-related mixing devices you don't use? Probably not related, but on a number of computers, I've had annoying background noise until I disabled stuff like Mic in and midi.
- carpe noctem

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:56 AM »
this doesn't help, but it sounds like (?) a power hum (leaking from the PS?)

if it is then disabling the soundcard probably won't have any effect (the fact that muting has no effect would seem to support this...)
As I said, disabling the soundcard DOES have an effect, which is why I'd like to find a tool to help me out ;)

Are you remembering to run it from an elevated command prompt?

Also, have you tried disabling any sound-related mixing devices you don't use? Probably not related, but on a number of computers, I've had annoying background noise until I disabled stuff like Mic in and midi.
Yes, I ran it with elevated privileges. Devcon is able to find all hardware devices, but it wouldn't let me disable a device.

I'll try to see if disabling some mixing devices, thanks.

Thanks for your replies, all :)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:06 PM »
As I said, disabling the soundcard DOES have an effect, which is why I'd like to find a tool to help me out ;)

aah, my bad (DOH!!)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:22 PM »
You should be able to do that with Device Remover

Available_Device_Operations_on_List.jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:08 PM »
For the time being, this AutoIt3 script will pop up the Device Manager.

Run("RunDll32.exe devmgr.dll,DeviceManager_Execute")