topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chameleon Task Manager  (Read 3319 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chameleon Task Manager
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Hi Folks,

Evgeni mentioned his new Task Manager in one of the Startup thread discussions.  Nice program, again in a crowded field (DTask Manager, AnVir and others).  Clearly CTM is, like CSM, a very nice program. We can get into comparison later.  CTM is in beta.

Right now....
Two questions/thoughts for Evgeni.

I really do not want my Task Manager programs to tell me with Pop-ups about Priority situations and options since that is usually being handled by Process Tamer (or Process Lasso, or something else).  Unless there is some compelling reason.  So we need an option to turn off those (relatively unobstrusive) popups that allow me to make priority changes. (You don't do anything automatically with priorities, I gather.)  Maybe I could make them 0% transparency, yet that is not really a solution.  

Also .. you automatically took over the Windows Task Manager status.  That is a no-no, you have to ask.  I put it back, by the uncheck mark. No matter how excellent other programs are, I reserve that for DTaskManager.  Others might reserve that for WTM.  One reason is .. minimal resource usage on loading, which often is a factor in crunch times. Your task manager has to be very simple to be loaded and active.  At other times, on demand, you want a far more involved task manager. So my recommendation .. no automatic taking of WTM status.

Generally .. very nice program, more later.  I could have emailed this to you, however CTM can use a DonationCoder thread for discussion.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:29 AM by Steven Avery »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chameleon Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:03 AM »
If "CTM can use a DonationCoder thread for discussion" I really think we first should know some more! But maybe you were in a hurry.

http://www.chameleon...indows-task-manager/

Get it for $15 instead of $30:

wt0.gif

.. you automatically took over the Windows Task Manager status.  That is a no-no, you have to ask.
-Steven Avery (March 20, 2010, 06:24 AM)

- normally I would agree with you on this. This is my machine, please ask if you want to alter it. However, he is telling on the top of the homepage that "Chameleon Task Manager is a replacement for Windows task manager".

wt1.gif

------
I don't think he has realized just how ambiguous this section can be:

wtm.gif

-------
click for features:

wt3.gifChameleon Task Manager

http://www.chameleon...indows-task-manager/

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chameleon Task Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Curt,

Just about all alternative task managers have an option to replace the Windows Task Manager and have similar wording to what Evgeni uses there. However it is still presumptive to just auto-replace the WTM. Other apps, like Process Explorer and Anvir Task Manager Pro, offer the option and many users do use it in place of WTM, but I personally like to keep WTM available, like Steven. None I have used has ever replaced WTM on its own. I agree with Steven that this should be optional and not the default behavior.

Thanks!

Jim