topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: NightMode (switch display colors for ones suitable for working in the dark  (Read 17321 times)

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: NightMode (or Night Shift would be a nicer name).

First of all, WOW (and I say, "wow"). I am new to this site, and it is awesome. Never have I seen so many [simple software] ideas I had come true in one place. Congratulations to all of you.

I found DimScreen, and found it great. But it is not yet the idea I have.

I have worked on ships for a number of years, and during the night the lights on the bridge are always off or very low. And most of their systems have a "Night Mode", where the colors of the screen are changed so that the glare does not affect seeing outside in the dark.

Even the systems that run on Windows have it. A button that when pressed changes Windows' colors to ones that are good to be viewed in the dark. It does not make a negative image of the screen. The whole color scheme is changed, and not only for that application, but for the whole of Windows.

But my laptop and other computers not running those systems can't swith to "Night Mode", and it is terrible to look at a bright screen in a dark room. Not to mention the captain complaining about the reflection on the windows, making it impossible for him to see outside.

I tried making a Windows' color scheme for Night Mode, and can even access it through a shortcut (check Windows' Accessibility options). But the results aren't good. For example, if I open a Word document, the page color is still white, with black text, regardless of the color scheme I am using.

But not on those systems I mentioned: some (not all) that have "Night Mode" in them do something in Windows that changes ALL the colors, even of the pages of Microsoft Word, etc. I don't know what they do, but they do it. So I don't think it's related to using Windows' color schemes.

Anyway, my idea is a little application to toggle Night Mode on/off. Not just dim the screen, but actually change the colors of everything that is displayed on the screen so the colors are suitable for working in the dark. Like, make what is white dark, make what is black maybe light gray...

It's not making a negative image. If it were, then AutoCAD's black background would become white, and defeat the purpose of the software. MAybe it's something like: if color is brighter than x, then change to y or reverse. If less brigther than x, then don't do anything. Something like that, maybe?

Pushing a bit more, there could be a defaul color replacement scheme, and allow the user to change/load/save other ones. This may be useful depending on what applications are being used.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all,

Mickets

kip

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Fx Software
    • Donate to Member
Have a look at http://www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk.  Go onto the Assistive page and have a look at either DarkScreen or ssOverlay.  Darkscreen places a black wash over the whole screen which can have the transparency level adjusted.  ssOverlay does the same but there are a range of colours for the overlay option.  Both these apps can also be used with multi-monitor setups.

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have a look at http://www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk.  Go onto the Assistive page and have a look at either DarkScreen or ssOverlay.  Darkscreen places a black wash over the whole screen which can have the transparency level adjusted.  ssOverlay does the same but there are a range of colours for the overlay option.  Both these apps can also be used with multi-monitor setups.
Kip,

First of all, both files were reported as containig Spyware/Adware by Avast!.

But anyway, that's not what I'm looking for, not what I described. These two look like the screen dimmer that I found here at Donation Coder.

Thanks, anyway.

Mickets

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, here's an example. A free program called Cartes du Ceil (Sky Charts), an astronomy program, provies Night Vision (or Night Mode).

Click it, and most Windows' colors are changed to night mode colors, for people that work in the dark.

In the snapshot below, notice that even the Microsoft Word window is now black with red letters. Same for many (most) other apps.

Problem is that Cartes du Ceil must remain running for the effect to take place. Close it, and no more effects.

Mickets

DarkScreen - Cartes Du Ceil.png

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And I just found a little program that is almost what I need: Nite View.

It does what is says, but no configurations available. Background is dark red instead of black.

Nite View + Dimmer is a good pair.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:30 PM by Mickets »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
flux is a killer tool. doesn't do exactly what you want, but it helps. whites will be less painful to look at.

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
flux is a killer tool. doesn't do exactly what you want, but it helps. whites will be less painful to look at.
Hmmmm... you know, I actually got the source code for Nite View, and plan on fiddeling around with it. While I don't get the time to learn VBA (I used to program with C++ Bulider - shouldn't be hard to learn VBA), I had these ideas for configurations.

One of the ideas was to calculate sun rise/set according to user's coordinates, just like Fluz does.

The idea of Flux is great, but it's not exactly for people that work in the dark.

Great idea, though.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is ScreenWhite or ScreenBright what you are looking for?

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is ScreenWhite or ScreenBright what you are looking for?
No, these look like Flux. I want to reverse the colors (sort of negative), so the screen is mostly dark, so I can work in the dark.

(Ei, i just noticed now that I need a keyboard with lights as well...)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In linux (gnome) this is easy to do for the entire OS. Most apps respect it. Problem is webpages, they are usually white...

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In linux (gnome) this is easy to do for the entire OS. Most apps respect it. Problem is webpages, they are usually white...
Webpages: in Firefox: Tools / Options / Content / Colors: disable the "allow pages to choose their own colors". Then, enable "Use system colors", or configure your own colors. Looks great. A good idea would be a "toggle" button for these options...

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It says "Linux only" right on the first line.

F.Lux is well known, but it's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about reversing the screen colors.

Thanks anyway.

Mickets

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've tried that one already, and uninstalled it soon after. I can't remember the details, but it's a too complex program for a simple thing I want to achieve (dark screen). Meanwhile I'm with NiteView.

I actually got NiteViews source code, but I haven't had the time to mess around with it.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There's also Windowshades - it's an overlay but very configurable, it might help ?