topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ReplaceAbsolutePaths (RAP)  (Read 25178 times)

Onesimus Prime

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ReplaceAbsolutePaths (RAP)
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:42 PM »
ReplaceAbsolutePaths (RAP) - a small app for the portable-software-lovers out there, to maybe make their lives just a little easier... 

From the (admittedly long) readme:
"I was testing a program for portability recently and discovered that, although it could be portable, the process required a fair amount of manual editing of text-based settings files, converting absolute paths to relative ones.  This is also the case in many program launchers such as Executor, SlickRun, or Launchy, as well as other software like MetaPath or QuickWayToFolders."
"Sometimes if a file is 'buried' in enough levels of folders and subfolders, it can get confusing how many '..\' to use."
"Basically, this program [RAP] has two general functions: calculating a relative path when given two absolute ones, and offering to replace any instances of an absolute path with the newly calculated relative one within a particular text-based settings file."

RAP should probably be considered still in beta...  The first attachment at the bottom of this post is version 0.8.9, complete with a Readme.  The second is an older 0.8.2 version, .exe only.  This program makes a .ini file in its own folder, hence it is also portable.

If you use the text-replace function,
1) Please first double-check what changes it will do to which file!
2) When doing its text-replace, RAP should make a backup of the original file with the added extension .rbak, so if something goes wrong, you can erase the changed one and rename the *.rbak file to its original filename (simply erase ".rbak").

Alright, hope this is helpful to y'all!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ReplaceAbsolutePaths (RAP)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:50 PM »
neat -- thanks for sharing this -- i can see how it would come in handy.
i'm going to move this to coding snacks section where it may get some more attention.

Onesimus Prime

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Sorry!  I had thought the Coding Snacks section was only for things requested by others.  Guess I shoulda asked before posting... :redface:

For future reference, what's the difference between posting in Coding Snacks or the "Other programs" section?

parkint

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Sorry!  I had thought the Coding Snacks section was only for things requested by others.  Guess I shoulda asked before posting... :redface:

For future reference, what's the difference between posting in Coding Snacks or the "Other programs" section?
-Onesimus Prime (March 17, 2010, 07:20 PM)
That's a great question I would [also] like to know the answer for.

Thanks for this really cool utility!  It will make my life easier.

"If necessity is the Mother of Invention, then laziness must be the Father"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41 AM »

We really need to establish some clear guidelines, since right now we really just have some informal things we do.

But here is now i tend to think about it:

The "Other Software" section has no "catch-all" area where people post software they've written -- in other words, it's currently only used to hold child forums for specific applications that need their own forum.  Now in reality there are programs that have child boards that really don't need them now, and their are "coding snacks" that are active enough that they deserve their own section in the "Other Software" area.  Over time we will clean up the "Other Software" area to remove child sections that are inactive.

But as a rule of thumb -- if a program gains enough of a following that it deserves its own sub-forum, and the author wants that subforum to be part of DonationCoder, and we feel comfortable enough "vouching" for the integrity and safety of the program, then we can create a subforum for it in the "Other Software" section.

All other programs should be posted in the Coding Snacks section, or Announce Your Software section.

Does that make some sense?

Note that we are always happy to create web space for authors that want to host their software on a web pge.