topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stack Folder problem  (Read 11571 times)

NigelRBrown

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stack Folder problem
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:47 PM »
I have a problem with programs not launching from Stack Folders when the file in question installs itself in the C:\Program Files folder e.g. Paint.Net, SyncToy, as distinct from C:\Program Files (x86). The error message is "The specified path was not found." Also the Stack Folder does not display the program icon (just a generic Windows icon).
The same programs fire up OK when launched from Dock Folders. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and this has been a problem through all versions since I first installed CircleDock a month or so ago, up to and including the latest v1.5.4. Any ideas?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stack Folder problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:14 PM »
Greetings NigelBrown  ;D
Welcome to the Circle Dock forums, and DonationCoder.com  :D

I am going to say that it is the Windows UAC that is interfering with the new stacks folder that is built in.

Try running Circle Dock with Administrative Privileges, and if this works, then I would suggest creating a new folder (ie. C:/Program Files (Alternative) 0, and this should correct about 99% of all the issues I am currently aware of

Let me know  :Thmbsup:

Regards
The Sarge

NigelRBrown

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:18 AM »
Running CircleDock as Administrator on Windows 7 64-bit and using an alternative Program Files folder for CD certainly solved some of my problems, and now the Circle Dock v1.55.16 (x64) makes CD very much more stable and usable. I use all Stack Folders to group applications.

However, my CD (x64) (now installed into C:\Program Files) still does not recognise 64-bit programs that also install by default into C:\Program Files (rather than C:\Program Files (x86)). My workaround is to install 64-bit programs into my C:\Program Files (alt) folder, but surely I shouldn't have to do that now?

Also, CD is still a bit hit and miss as to whether it picks up program icons, and for a couple it displays just a "blank" icon - but the programs launch so I can live with that.

Apart from these small gripes CD is an even better program and I love using it.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15 AM »
However, my CD (x64) (now installed into C:\Program Files) still does not recognise 64-bit programs that also install by default into C:\Program Files (rather than C:\Program Files (x86)). My workaround is to install 64-bit programs into my C:\Program Files (alt) folder, but surely I shouldn't have to do that now?

Are you talking about Circle Dock or StandaloneStack (which powers the Stack Folders) as not recognising your Program Files folder? I suspect the latter which, as it is a 32-bit program, will be redirected by the OS (regardless of your wishes!) to the 32-bit equivalent folder. Not a lot I can do about that, I'm afraid, as I'm not the author of StandaloneStack.exe or its Docklet library files.

Also, CD is still a bit hit and miss as to whether it picks up program icons, and for a couple it displays just a "blank" icon - but the programs launch so I can live with that.

Circle Dock will try to locate a usable icon image from within an executable's resources. But not all authors place much more than a 16x16 pixel icon there which is the smallest Windows allows for - that icon size, incidentally, has been the same since Windows v1. Circle Dock won't use a 16x16 image because it's simply too small to use on a dock which typically has 48x48 pixel images and an image enlarged by that large factor will look pretty horrible.

If you don't want to use our default, you can find thousands of suitable images on a number of web sites - including Rocket Dock's image library which our Help Browser opens automatically. Failing that, Google is your friend.

Apart from these small gripes CD is an even better program and I love using it.

Thank you!

Mark
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:18 AM by Markham »

NigelRBrown

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Thanks Mark, on both counts. Both problems have solutions, so I'm OK with that.