topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 15 Hacks Every Dropbox User Should Know  (Read 7282 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
15 Hacks Every Dropbox User Should Know
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:28 PM »
From MaximumPC

When you get right down to it, Dropbox is a pretty simple app. It syncs folders—that’s it. But what makes Dropbox amazing is the sheer number of different ways you can use that functionality, by itself or in conjunction with other programs, to improve your computing experience. We like Dropbox so much that we’ve written about it several  times  before, and we still haven’t gotten to every cool thing you can do with the program.

That’s why, in this article, we’re going to share with you a whopping 15 things that we think everyone should know about Dropbox, from how to get extra storage for free to how to use Dropbox to control your Bittorrent client.

Read More

Screenshot - 2_16_2010 , 11_31_54 PM.png

Some good stuff there- and definitely some things I didn't know about.  But it seems that they were able to get around the problem with junctions- they use symbolic links to the files.  I'll have to try this...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 15 Hacks Every Dropbox User Should Know
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43 AM »
Sweet find. I expected the usual "I already know all this simple crap" article and instead found an article with lots of great ideas that I can implement right now and solve some existing problems I have nagging me. Thank you very much for pointing us to this article.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:39 AM »
More dropbox goodness from Lifehacker:

The Cleverest Ways to Use Dropbox That You're Not Using

http://lifehacker.co...that-youre-not-using

I don't know about that whole truecrypt thing and it syncing on the parts of files that have changed.  I haven't tried syncing anything truly large with the service.  Has anyone else done so?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I don't know about that whole truecrypt thing and it syncing on the parts of files that have changed.  I haven't tried syncing anything truly large with the service.  Has anyone else done so?

I'm not sure about that either. But I saw someone in the comments say that you have to be careful with TrueCrypt and DropBox because the TC volume is only updated after it has been dismounted.

So if you forgot to dismount the volume before you left, you won't have the updated files synced.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43 PM »

I'm not sure about that either. But I saw someone in the comments say that you have to be careful with TrueCrypt and DropBox because the TC volume is only updated after it has been dismounted.

So if you forgot to dismount the volume before you left, you won't have the updated files synced.

I wonder about that... if you forget to to dismount it, then use it in the other location, then dismount in both locations, how does it resolve the differences... especially in an encrypted format like this?  And I still have doubts that it can sync the delta of the volume, especially considering that it's encrypted.