topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Browser Wars: Why did you choose yours?  (Read 28512 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Browser Wars: Why did you choose yours?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 03:02 PM »
I am a very content Opera user.

I know that some people take issue with their (somewhat short-sighted) policies regarding 3rd party apps, but I have never been affected by this. The most common frustration I see is that RoboForm can't integrate with Opera, but I don't need RoboForm...

Back when I began my interactions with the internet, and hence needed a large number of unique, secure passwords, I created a formula to enable the generation and easily recall of my login information. This has served me well for the past decade, and I see no real reason why it will cease to do so.

I do periodically use other browsers to see what they have to offer, but have always ended up back where I began, with Opera.

Recently Chrome, or more specifically one of the alternative Chrome builds such as ChromePlus or Iron, have grabbed my attention, and it seems possible that I may one day end up using one of these. But I would need to find a replacement for Opera's inbuilt mail system, something I find to be fast, usable and robust.

Again I have tried other email solutions, such as Outlook, Eudora and The Bat!, but prefer what Opera has to offer, without the need for a separate app.

I readily acknowledge that Opera has its shortcomings, and do choose not to use some of the less useful features, notably the inbuilt BitTorrent client (which has never worked well for me), widgets (I have never found ANY widget system appealing!) and Unite (which seems interesting, but as yet I can't find a use for it!).

Finally: I find that Opera does meet my needs regarding extensions: I use UserJavascript to change browser functionality, and block ads (or any other elements) that I don't want to see with UserCSS and the inbuilt URL filter.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:06 PM by Ampa »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 04:53 PM »
I love how this topic, started yet another argument because Tuxman decided that every browser in the world is 'plagiarizing' Mozilla Firefox, which, I must admit, is getting on my nerves.

Like Josh and many others have said, Chrome are working on a much more upgraded platform and have taken ideas from other browsers like IE, Opera, FF (If you start on a rant about it being Fx, I WILL scream) etc...but in the same sense, is this not what everybody does?

You want to make a FPS, so you will take ideas from loads of different, well established FPS's and modify and adapt the current, well loved features, improve the quality and call it your own.  Same with Televisions, HD is NOT a new idea, but an improvement on OLD ideas, same with DAB radio, High Speed Broadband, and pretty much anything else you use in everyday life.

Please can we try stay completely on topic and actually post things that are RELEVANT to this?

I did not ask you for a complete debate on why you love Firefox, I simply asked which browser you used and why.  Absolutly nowhere in my description of this topic, did I put "What browser do you use and why did you choose it?  Also, if somebody uses a different browser than you...shout at them and tell them they are wrong."!

I think after the debate in my other topic, regarding Opera, people know I love that browser, but I will not condemn anybody else for using another browser, as I currently have installed, IE (not by choice but I keep it anyway), Firefox (yes I use Firefox!), Opera, Chrome and a few other browsers, this is because I find certain websites work better in certain browsers because it was the main platform the developer of that website chose to test in.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I love how this topic, started yet another argument because Tuxman decided that every browser in the world is 'plagiarizing' Mozilla Firefox, which, I must admit, is getting on my nerves.
Opera does not, but Opera better should.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Opera does not, but Opera better should.

Is that even English?

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41 PM »
It should, too.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 05:50 PM »
It should, too.

I assume you mean Opera should 'copy' FF?  If so, I think this would be a bad way to go, as Opera does not try to be any other browser, and to be honest, even though I gave it a great review, I am starting to think it is not trying to be a browser at all, but more a security suite :mad: but still contains features that I cannot get in FF and loads websites a hell of a lot quicker than some of the other browsers I use...but anyway, this isn't an Opera vs. Firefox debate, so CAN WE GET BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE?  If you want a debate about those 2 browsers specifically then go make a new post :)

Cheers

-Stephen

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Tux,

I am now asking you to stop. After the last series of thread hijackings, I am telling you publicly to stop. I will not tolerate any further thread hijacks that are for purely semantical or fanboyish style comments designed to generate flames/start an online feud. Several users have complained on the IRC channel and I too am growing weary of it. I believe stephen summed up the comments I have been receiving quite well.

Please stop hijacking the threads and post when you have content to add that can aid to discussion and are not pure flame-bait or designed to detract from the original purpose of the thread. If you want a thread dedicated to those topics, please feel free to post a new one and see if you receive the replies you desire.

I apologize if this is harsh but I have bitten my tongue, per mousers request on the IRC channel, for far too long on this subject.

Further thread hijacks will be removed.

Thanks.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 06:03 PM »
I readily acknowledge that Opera has its shortcomings, and do choose not to use some of the less useful features, notably the inbuilt BitTorrent client (which has never worked well for me),

In all honestly, I didn't even know the BT client worked at all, I have never been able to get it to start downloading any tasks, so gave up and pretended that it wasn't even a feature of Opera.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 06:08 PM »
I have to show my support for Josh's words, since recently I have several times refrained from posting replies to topics in order to avoid such discussions with Tuxman and I would really appreciate it if he had a more positive approach to posting on DC.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I will not tolerate any further thread hijacks that are for purely semantical or fanboyish style comments designed to generate flames/start an online feud.
This was never my intention. It is about pros and cons of browsers here, so what's wrong with contributing?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Tux, it is one thing to contribute pros and cons but your comments often times, not only in this thread but in many others as jgp has acknowledged with me, are often not helpful, insightful or anything of that nature and designed to be purely fanboy-ish style. As I said, I will be removing further posts of that nature. When it affects and stops other users from posting, that is when I intervene as it detracts not only from the thread but from the overall forum quality and the ability to generate real discussion about the topics at hand.

I have no problems with you posting, but please do so in a manner that is not designed as a flame-generating reply or a zealotous, i know that is not a real word, comment.

Now, back on topic. That is the end of this discussion. Further replies can be handled privately as this thread has had enough hijacking as others have agreed with.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 06:24 PM »
This was never my intention. It is about pros and cons of browsers here, so what's wrong with contributing?
Telling people that they are wrong in their choice of browsers, telling people that YOU and ONLY YOU are correct when it comes to giving Firefox its acronym, and posting pointless comments is the problem we have here, and the fact you seem intent on dragging the conversation into some random argument.  Now please, no more totally pointless posts, stay on topic or go post on another forum.  If you would like to reply to this post, keep it on topic and no more bloody arguing, its just getting old now.

BACK ON TOPIC

Just come across Flock which is seemingly a Social Web Browser.

Not tried it yet, just wondering if anybody else has, and what you have to say about it.

**edit**

sorry Josh, I posted my reply seemingly at the exact same time as you lol and I do actually wanna keep this bloody conversation going in the right direction!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:26 PM by Stephen66515 »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 06:39 PM »
telling people that YOU and ONLY YOU are correct when it comes to giving Firefox its acronym
You obviously misread me there. It was not me, it was the Mozilla people. Which is kind of a difference, right?
It is so easy to defame people for things they never said...

Oh well, EOD.

Ultimatum

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I would have to say firefox. why? simply because i find it easier than any other browser. It as a mega amount of add-ons & its not a microsoft product :D. Though once i start using a program, its pretty hard for me to change to another, though i have tried chrome & opera but i doubt i would change unless mozilla quits lol

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Unlikely that a company, as big as Mozilla will fall any time soon :P

Also, Welcome Ultimatum :D

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 03:44 AM »
I use Firefox because when I was having difficulties with IE, f0dder suggested I switch.
It's faster, easier and features /add ons/ plug ins like No Script & pop-up blocker have really improved my overall browsing experience.
I really like Sxipper & Scrapbook is nice, too (although I wish I could find a way to edit the saved content).
I don't think I need many more extensions, etc., as the browser, as it is now, is just great.

Thanks, f0dder!  :)

-Sarah

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 04:39 AM »
To add to my previous comment, I have tried the latest Opera and while I don't use it except for on the occasional whim, I like it considerably better than it's earlier iterations.
Opera 10 was the first Opera I could use "out of the box" with no fiddling about wondering where the hell one button or menu was and how come there were two of others...  :-\

The 64-bit Opera has one key advantage over Minefield: it can load and use the latest 64-bit Flash plugin.
You see, Firefox can load and run the 64-bit Flash player plugin (which is WAY more stable than the 32-bit version, BTW) but the 64-bit Minefield can only load the 32-bit plugin (and unreliably at that...).
VERY strange, I must say...

Then again, I'm doing all this on Linux, so my mileage most certainly may vary.  :huh:

pyrohacker

• Joined in 2008
  • Coder, gamer, loving it.
    • View Profile
    • Mindful Code
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Seems to me that the minefield is this thread!
"Watch your step, soldier.  You never know when you'll activate a hidden flamethrower..."
Anyway...

Boy, when it comes to browsers, I've tried most of them at one point in my life, and I think I can honestly say that I was a die-hard fan of that browser during my time of use.  Except IE.  Never was crazy for that one.

I'll just say it out loud so nobody is confused:  I use and love Chrome, I like Opera, I appreciate Firefox, and I ... recognize ... Internet Explorer.

Chrome is (currently) my favorite browser, mainly because it has the best extension handling in any browser I've seen.  Automatic updates, a centralized point of acquisition, and a standardized extension creation system.  By that I mean that extensions are coded in standard, everyday JavaScript and HTML.  And yeah, its flippin' fast.  I find Chrome to be better for browsing the web like people (read: I) do today.  Chrome is a relatively new browser; it was built during the time of web apps and flash.  It's good at it.  It's also got a really non-invasive interface, and that idea has even carried over to the extensions.

I've recently been trying out Opera 10.50 (which was just bumped up to release build) and I am really quite impressed. Its speed is on par with Chrome, its feature set is out-of-this-world, and it's got large amounts of settings for great tweakability. Really, the only issue that I have with Opera is that it doesn't support extensions.  Philosophically, I'm okay with that.  The dang thing does so much already, it barely needs 'em.  And I suppose that you could perhaps code something akin to an extension using a widget...  But things like LastPass are really useful, and Opera only supports them through bookmarklets.

Firefox, in my opinion, has fallen from its previous standings.  It used to be a blank canvas that you could paint your extensions onto to create a personalized browsing experience.  And it still is a fairly blank canvas.  So why does that still-blank piece of cloth suddenly take twice as long to run?  I haven't seen any breakthrough features, I haven't seen any big improvements, and yet I've still seen it slow down and down and down...  Why?  I don't know.  But even if the idea of an open, third-party extension system did come from Firefox -- Chrome does it better.

On the subject of Internet Explorer:  Well, not much news.  Still pretty much the same as it was four years ago.  As for innovations, we've seen what?  InPrivate browsing and Accelerators?  You mean, the same type of things that other browsers are doing better?  Oh.  I do appreciate what IE has done for the Net, really, I do.  Standards in web page coding, standards in JavaScript functions, and an omnipresent animation/interface system.  Wait, IE didn't do those, either.  In my eyes, Internet Explorer set the bar years ago.  Other browsers surpassed it (as a capitalist market should expect), and IE sort of just sat there.

In my eyes: Chrome is in the lead, with Opera steadily gaining speed.  Firefox used up too much steam at the start of the race, and IE is standing at the starting line, thinking that the race is already over.

Jeez, I oughta copyright that post.  Or is it more of an autobiography?
Funny that programmers chose the phrase "Hello, World" while most of us are introverts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:10 PM by pyrohacker »

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 02:32 AM »
Currently a Firefox user because it fails to score badly in any area rather than because it scores well. Don't get me wrong; I like Firefox but it has got to the stage where I feel like I want to switch but can't quite seem to as the result of issues with other browsers.

Chrome "feels" better but the extensions don't seem to have settled down yet and Google make me nervous as a company - the seem to be the next MS in waiting.

Opera has tons of functionality, and I love having an integrated mail client, but the lack of extensions makes it a non-starter for me.

Both just feel "snappier" than FF.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 03:07 AM »
No one mentioned Safari ... probably with good reason ;)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 04:50 AM »
Just to jump in here - I use k-meleon : it is really fast, light on resources and very easy to configure to one's tastes. There are a number of excellent add-ons or extensions and a really friendly and helpful community.

I think I will never go back to FF or any other browser.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 07:34 AM »
No one mentioned Safari ... probably with good reason ;)
-Carol Haynes (March 05, 2010, 03:07 AM)

Haha, never noticed that till now, i've only used Safari once, and wasn't very impressed with it to be honest.  It seemed very clunky slow, and just was not to my taste.

Just to jump in here - I use k-meleon : it is really fast, light on resources and very easy to configure to one's tastes. There are a number of excellent add-ons or extensions and a really friendly and helpful community.

I think I will never go back to FF or any other browser.

Great to see this discussion has gained a new lease of life, and the fact we have found our first K-Melon user has got to be a good thing, I would love to hear about your experiences with that browser (as I have never used it) and what features you think make it better than other browsers.

Anybody use any relativity UN-heard of browsers?

If so, let us all know what they are, why you use them, what the features are etc... I think that would be a great help to this discussion :)

-Stephen
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:36 AM by Stephen66515 »

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Stephen - I'm not saying that k-meleon is the best, I only think it is.

I particularly like KM because of the almost complete control that you can have over the gui including the menus, icons etc. There are many extensions, the majority are written by KM users and it is relatively easy to write and add your own (check out the forum). These extensions include some equivalents of those in FF : Adblock, Cookieculler etc. and a special mention goes to the Policy Manager which works like NoScript but imho is much better.

KM is also skinnable and you can even easily write your own skins !

The community is really lively, helpful and friendly, something I can't say about some other forums (not DC of course). If you have an idea for a good extension, just post it on the forum and usually in a very short time someone will write it for you !

KM is also one of the fastest browsers that I have tested, it loads almost instantly and doesn't take up too many resources unless you leave  a lot of tabs open with Flash content.

And by the way, the 1.5.4 version came out today :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31 AM »
I use Firefox more than any other browser, because it offers me the addons I want. It is by far not the fastest or most reliable one, but when all goes well it is the most convenient browser to use.

I find any discussion about who came first with what, to be of very little interest, if any.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I find any discussion about who came first with what, to be of very little interest, if any.

I find "Who does it better" ones funnier tbh.  But "Who came first with what" is only good if its actually new at that time, and its of any interest to me.