topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: myBase Desktop 5.x + Addons Pack discounted on BitsDuJour.com (2010-01-25)  (Read 17031 times)

crazylaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
myBase Desktop 5.x + Addons Pack is discounted next Monday (2010-01-25) on BdJ, at 50% discount for 39,50 $ instead of 79,00 $.

It was extensively reviewed here on dc by superboyac in the Notetaking Software Roundup #1:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/NoteTakers1/index.php

crazylaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The offer has been extended for one more day. I use Ultra Recall Pro, but maybe someone has a use for it. Just wanted to let you know.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm also using Ultra Recall Pro, plus I have IQ but I just dabble in it now and then - haven't really taken the time to figure it out. So I have3 no real need for myBase. But.…  I really had to keep hammering myself to keep from buying it anyway at this price.

So what did they do? They extended the Bits sale another day. I'm thinking about locking myself away to keep me from going to the Bits site and.…  Aarrggh!   ;)

Thanks!

Jim

crazylaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, it is the same for me. ;) I use Ultra Recall Pro and have installed the test version of mybase, but don´t see me really using mybase. So I just skipped the offer and now it is extended. ;) IQ is also installed but I didn´t have the time to learn to use it in any efficent way yet. I see myself rather donate/buy IQ than buying mybase, because it has a different approach than Ultra Recall Pro or mybase, but I think I still have to get to learn to use it. At the moment I efficently use only Ultra Recall Pro for everything and AceText for plain text.

crazylaz

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Deal coming soon

myBase Desktop 6.x + Addons Pack
RETAIL $79.00
50% OFF $39.50

http://www.bitsdujou...desktop-addons-pack/

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do you have this rg? If so, how do you like it?

Thank you.

Jim

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
myBase is one of the few I have never tried, that may change

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There're quite a lot of mentions of myBase on DC.  But, oh, that there were one clearly best notekeeper to rule them all...  I have AllMyNotes, which is nice in many ways but too mouse-oriented and doesn't stick to some Windows standards: e.g., Alt-Space doesn't bring up the usual Minimize/Maximize/Close etc. menu, it creates a new note!  No accelerator keys on the menus, no hotkey to add a clip as a note, etc.  Nice quick search and sensible filtered display, though.  I also have UltraRecall, but it's very complex and I don't much like its interface.  NoteFrog is nice too especially for "live search" but it's maybe a bit too young a project to commit too much to too soon.

Analysis paralysis!  :(

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!

I also have Ultra Recall...  and AllMyNotes... Evernote, OneNote2010, TreeDBNotes Pro, ZuluPad, and more! But Ultra Recall Pro hasn’t been keeping up lately IMO, so I figured I'd look at competing apps.

Thanks again!

Jim

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Random thought about a random addon to what's probably a decent program....

An addon for Windows Mobile/Pocket PC? They might want to think about upgrading that to something that will support modern mobile phones.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just FYI, years ago Mybase was one of my favorites for general notetaking.  Now, I've moved to RightNote, and I'm sticking to it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've moved to RightNote, and I'm sticking to it.
Is that because of your history of coming from KeyNote?  All the others were stopgaps on the way to "KeyNote done right?"  Does RightNote match (enough of) the features in your roundup of notetakers?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is that because of your history of coming from KeyNote?  All the others were stopgaps on the way to "KeyNote done right?"  Does RightNote match (enough of) the features in your roundup of notetakers?

rjbull - According to Tranglos (Marek), RightNote IS Keynote done right, or actually done better! Here's where he talks about it:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29504.msg273561#msg273561

Jim

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's really just because it's very good.  I did evernote for a while, which was totally different than Keynote.  Rightnote is just, well, right!  The features that really did it for me were the paragraph styles, the horizontal line button.  It's one of the very very few programs (especially for notetakers) that I find intuitive.  Every little thing is just really great.  Like, you know how most of these programs make a big deal about being able to choose icons for your notes (in the tree)?  But then you try them, and you're like "Well, I don't really like these icons"  So then you try to add icons, if that feature is available.  but then, it's still not quite right.  So now you've spent a bunch of time messing around with icons until you get embarrassed and hope nobody ever notices that you just spent 2 hours of your life looking at icons while the world is in turmoil.  But in Rightnote, you open the icon window, and BOOM, tons of icons, anything you need!  So easy, so right.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According to Tranglos (Marek), RightNote IS Keynote done right, or actually done better!

Here's where he talks about it:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29504.msg273561#msg273561

I know, I was too lazy to find the link :-[ and relied on memory!  But I also note that in the same post, he says:
I won't be registering it, since I do think the KeyNote design (can I say this? "KeyNote design"?) is quite obsolete - just compare how the search works in RightNote vs. Evernote or even CintaNotes.
My italics.  That lead me to wonder whether tree-style notekeepers were losing mindshare to live search types.  Tranglos points out that whatever you do is a compromise, and database back ends slow things.  There are issues about presenting the search results as well.

For big fans of live search - don't overlook the other offer on Bits du Jour today, NoteFrog Professional Lifetime License!  It would be nice to see an offer on RightNote, too.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's really just because it's very good.  I did evernote for a while, which was totally different than Keynote.  Rightnote is just, well, right!  The features that really did it for me were the paragraph styles, the horizontal line button.  It's one of the very very few programs (especially for notetakers) that I find intuitive.
My impression, from just reading the blurb, is that myBase has more features than RightNote.  Would you agree?  Having a smaller feature set may not matter as long as it has exactly the right features for you, of course.  I'm not as bothered by RTF editing within the notekeeper as you are, as I normally only use plain text for my own notes, but I am interested in a seamless ability to store clips from the Web.

I realise that there are differences between ideal notekeepers, Web page archivers and clipboard enhancers.  But they aren't easy to define, the more so as almost all real-world end-user data is transferred via the clipboard, wherever it ultimately ends up.

Neither RightNote nor myBase are particularly cheap, even at discount.  But for now I'm resisting the Bits deal on myBase - but can I last out the next 20hrs plus...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
rjbull:  Yes, I know that Tranglos said that about RightNote/KeyNote, but you had posted something about "Keynote done right" so I thought I would show that link.   :)

I probably use Evernote more than any of the others I have installed, mainly due to the web-clipping ease and access from all locations (connected of course). But for just writing down a note Evernote isn't that great. They use a non-standard editor and it is missing a lot of features IF you happen to want to type a nicely formatted note for some reason. Of course if it is just a quick memory-jogger for yourself, who cares about formatting?!

After going through a lot of crap with Ultra Recall's web page grabber, and the same with Surfulater, I have gone back to Local Website Archive for most of my web page captures. I use the Scrapbook extension in Firefox also, but you need to have Firefox installed and open in order to see any of them! For partial snips I mostly use mouser's Screenshot Captor - it is still the best for that! And Evernote for smaller clips. (Evernote does not do well at all with full page grabs).

And for a good notes organizer? Still looking at anything and everything that gets my attention!

Thanks!

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
rjbull:  Yes, I know that Tranglos said that about RightNote/KeyNote, but you had posted something about "Keynote done right" so I thought I would show that link.   :)
And shamed my laziness  :-[

I probably use Evernote more than any of the others I have installed, mainly due to the web-clipping ease and access from all locations (connected of course).
For clips from the Web, so do I, though I use 2.2 rather than a cloud version.  A distaste for the cloud is partly why I'm interested in alternatives.

But for just writing down a note Evernote isn't that great. They use a non-standard editor and it is missing a lot of features IF you happen to want to type a nicely formatted note for some reason. Of course if it is just a quick memory-jogger for yourself, who cares about formatting?!
I use MemPad for quick notes.  I really like it, but it's very slow at searching even when the data is only 5 MB, and it doesn't group the hits like live search does, or AllMyNotes does.

After going through a lot of crap with Ultra Recall's web page grabber, and the same with Surfulater, I have gone back to Local Website Archive for most of my web page captures.
I use LWA when I want a really accurate rendition of a page.  Most of the time the less perfect, but adequate for reference, capture of EverNote is good enough.  AllMyNotes also looks similarly adequate, but isn't as streamlined as EverNote to use.

For partial snips I mostly use mouser's Screenshot Captor - it is still the best for that!
But then you have to name or annotate them in some way to be able to find them again later...

And for a good notes organizer? Still looking at anything and everything that gets my attention!
Aren't we all?  Groan...  :(

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bits du Jour deal again today, Sun, 5 May 2013, with 11 hrs left to run at time of posting: myBase Desktop 6.x + Addons Pack $39.50 instead of $79.

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member