topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Animated Icons with Circle Dock  (Read 7117 times)

mukyduck

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Animated Icons with Circle Dock
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:34 PM »
First off I'd like to admit that I'm a newb when it comes to "docks". I stumbled upon Circle Dock, downloaded the software, and fell in love with it instantly. While in search for skins, I came across a few sweet looking animated icons. My understanding is that a docklet must be used in order for the animated icons to actually work. Is this correct? In reading a few forum posts, Circle Dock is still in it's infancy stages, docklets are soon to follow. I would love to add animated icons to my new favorite program!!!

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Animated Icons with Circle Dock
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Greetings mukyduck  ;D
Welcome to donationcoder.com and Circle Dock's little corner of it  8)

You are absolutely correct: The animated Icon requires standard Docklet to operate.
Unfortunately at this time Circle Dock does not support the standard Docklets that are available.

Markham is working on it, but from scratch as we have not been able to acquire a template to work from/with.

But Markham is working on it for a future release.

we will keep folks posted through these forums as advancements are made

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:47 AM »
First off I'd like to admit that I'm a newb when it comes to "docks". I stumbled upon Circle Dock, downloaded the software, and fell in love with it instantly. While in search for skins, I came across a few sweet looking animated icons. My understanding is that a docklet must be used in order for the animated icons to actually work. Is this correct? In reading a few forum posts, Circle Dock is still in it's infancy stages, docklets are soon to follow. I would love to add animated icons to my new favorite program!!!
I'll add my welcome to Circle Dock and this Forum!

Circle Dock isn't really in its infancy but suffers from being abandoned for a year until I became involved 3 - 4 months ago. Had the original developer not had to leave this and his other projects, I'm quite sure it would have progressed faster and further than it has thus far.

Unfortunately animated images will require a docklet. The simplest animated image format is a GIF file with multiple frames. However, GIF files don't support the alpha channel and thus their opacity/transparency can not be modified so can't be used in Circle Dock. PNG files do have an alpha channel but don't support multiple frames so can't be animated.

As the Sarge has said, I will be working on supporting Docklets for a future version; a task, I might add, that I'm not especially relishing as it means a substantial amount of tried and tested code will have to be rewritten, but that's my problem, not yours!

Mark

mukyduck

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Thank you for the replies and information. I certainly have a better understanding of the issues with animated icons and Circle Dock. Much appreciated. I look forward to upcoming changes, updates etc.