topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freezing on search :(  (Read 9670 times)

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Freezing on search :(
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:25 AM »
FARR seems to freeze during search.  The FARR window pops up normally when I hit my hotkey, but after the first character, FARR freezes for about 5 seconds.  It does this on every search.
If this were my web browser, I'd clear the temp files...is there something like this that I should be doing every so often in FARR?  What else should I try to speed things up?  Everything else on my machine seems to be running normally.  I'm using FARR 2.80.02.

Jon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freezing on search :(
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:31 AM »
This has been known to happen when search network shares.. can you check your launch history and see if anything is on a network -- maybe clear it to confirm that's not it.  You can also try disabling plugins to see if that's the cause.  Another trick is to enable the option to show subdirectories names during search, and pay attention to the status bar, see what it says it is searching when it hangs.

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:46 AM »
This has been known to happen when search network shares.. can you check your launch history and see if anything is on a network -- maybe clear it to confirm that's not it.  You can also try disabling plugins to see if that's the cause.  Another trick is to enable the option to show subdirectories names during search, and pay attention to the status bar, see what it says it is searching when it hangs.
It was launch history.  I cleared my launch history and that did it.  Thanks! :up:
When you say network shares, does that include network drives (e.g. an H drive that's mapped to a network path), or just UNC shares (e.g. \\server\sharepath)?  Because prior to seeing any slowness, I had just used the run alias to open a UNC share.  The slowness started after that, but the entry for that launch wasn't in my history.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Could be either.. BUT FARR tries to be smart and not resolve the UNC shares, so it probably was not that.  the network path definitely could have done it.

Since it was clearing your launch history that did it, this confirms that i probably need to have a way for farr to figure out which drives are network drives and shouldnt have their shortcuts resolved, or else allow a manual specification of such drives.

jpprater

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Could be either.. BUT FARR tries to be smart and not resolve the UNC shares, so it probably was not that.  the network path definitely could have done it.

Since it was clearing your launch history that did it, this confirms that i probably need to have a way for farr to figure out which drives are network drives and shouldnt have their shortcuts resolved, or else allow a manual specification of such drives.
Putting a list of those drives in Options might be best, performance-wise.
I don't know how you'd check which drives are network drives via C++ or another .Net language, but I do know that you can query through WMI for that information.  Of course, you may not want to use that method because WMI can be slow sometimes.  If you want to try it, though, you'd use the following WMI query:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. select * from Win32_LogicalDisk where DriveType=4
Win32_LogicalDisk is the WMI class representing drives on a computer, and where that class's DriveType attribute is 4, that drive is a network drive.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

jpprater