topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How To  (Read 7447 times)

Haani_Echad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How To
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Hello again,

I just want to know how do I change the direction of the way the folder stack opens.  I tried changing it in the command line when it opens up but that doesn't work.  I am using Circle Dock 1.0
"To traverse the sea of the mind, is to go beyond the threshold of time"

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How To
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27 PM »
After fiddling with this option for a bit your are absolutely correct.

You can specify Fan or Grid at time of creation and stack set up:

But...If there is a way to change this after the initial set up...I am not finding it.

Markham....
Is there a way to integrate the Stacks options into the Settings menu???
Skip the aforementioned...I just realized, what if there is someone that is all stacks???
Maybe something added to the Context menu of the stack???
Or
Am I missing something completely???

Also I will e-mail you. or try to catch you in Chat...I just realized that we are sitting on an un-active ultimate tweaking tool in the settings > Inspector > Dock Item Properties
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:46 PM by sgtevmckay »

Haani_Echad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:54 AM »
After fiddling with this option for a bit your are absolutely correct.

You can specify Fan or Grid at time of creation and stack set up:

But...If there is a way to change this after the initial set up...I am not finding it.

Markham....
Is there a way to integrate the Stacks options into the Settings menu???
Skip the aforementioned...I just realized, what if there is someone that is all stacks???
Maybe something added to the Context menu of the stack???
Or
Am I missing something completely???

Also I will e-mail you. or try to catch you in Chat...I just realized that we are sitting on an un-active ultimate tweaking tool in the settings > Inspector > Dock Item Properties

There is also another problem that I run in with the Folder Stack.  Everytime I uninstall and reinstall CD I can't make different stacks.  It still maintains the settings of one stack and I can't change it.  Is there some hidden file that is not being deleted on uninstall?  I tried deleting the config file but that didn't work...

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:21 AM »
There is also another problem that I run in with the Folder Stack.  Everytime I uninstall and reinstall CD I can't make different stacks.  It still maintains the settings of one stack and I can't change it.  Is there some hidden file that is not being deleted on uninstall?  I tried deleting the config file but that didn't work...
The file you seek is "settings.ini" and you will find it in Circle Dock's ".\System\Miscellaneous" folder. Since that file is not installed by the CD installer, it won't be automatically-deleted as it is deemed to be a user data file and these should not be removed by an uninstaller.

You can delete this file without any ill-effect -- except that you will, of course, lose any Stacks that you have defined but as that's what you want, it's not a problem.

The whole issue of Stack Folders is being addressed and, in future, all settings for Stacks will be made inside Circle Dock:
  • The Dock Properties dialog will contain several new pages to cover all the default settings for Stacks
  • There will be a new "Add Stack" dialog wherein you can define the properties for individual Stacks.
  • Stack items will be editable - in the same way as normal Dock Items - and they will be individually deletable

However, there is currently a problem with Stacks in general and that is that the data format used for the Stacks' "engine" is the INI file format and this leads to two disadvantages:
  • INI files can not exceed 64k in size. This will be reached if around 20 or so Stacks are defined.
  • The INI file format is pure ASCII, Unicode characters are not supported even though Microsofts' developer information indicates otherwise. This means that all entries within the INI files must use the characters "A..Z,a..z,0..9" (plus punctuation, braces and brackets), no accented characters and no glyphs (as in Chinese, Arabic and Japanese) so effectively very limited foreign language support.
These two disadvantages render the current implementation to be useful only to users whose native language is either English or whose language does not use any Unicode characters such as Filipino, Irish (Gaellic) or Welsh. I understand the Sarge is in touch with the developer and I will ask him to see what can be done to address these issues.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:12 PM »
I am an idiot  ;D

I have this one some what ironed out

To bring up the stac menu

Simply place Pointer over Stack folder icon, and hold CTRL button down while you click the stack. (Control + Left Mouse Click)
This will bring up the initial menu so that you can do some changes to the stack options.

Now also understand that Mark is correct in as much that the ini files remain.
So after install, you can safely go back and delete any file that says "Circle Dock" with no damage to the file

That being said.
There is something else.
EACH STACK IS IDENTIFIED BY STACK NAME!!!
The default stack name is "Change me now"
If you do not rename this file, any thing you place to this stack name/file will be remembered under the title of "Change me now"
So you will want to change the Stack File Name before you create a link to the file that you are targeting, or have set up with Launch short cuts.

If you do not do this, every time you create a new stack...it will appear as though it is using the previous stack.
Again, this can be modified by ctrl+L Click on the stack folder to bring up the Stack options window.

If you seem to get stuck with the same stack build, simply right click the folder, bring up Item Settings and change the Name.
Once the stack name is changed, click the stack folder again and you will be presented with a fresh stacks properties to work with.

Any questions let me know...and I will try to be less confusing when the pain killers ware off  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:18 PM by sgtevmckay »

Haani_Echad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I am an idiot  ;D

I have this one some what ironed out

To bring up the stac menu

Simply place Pointer over Stack folder icon, and hold CTRL button down while you click the stack. (Control + Left Mouse Click)
This will bring up the initial menu so that you can do some changes to the stack options.

Now also understand that Mark is correct in as much that the ini files remain.
So after install, you can safely go back and delete any file that says "Circle Dock" with no damage to the file

That being said.
There is something else.
EACH STACK IS IDENTIFIED BY STACK NAME!!!
The default stack name is "Change me now"
If you do not rename this file, any thing you place to this stack name/file will be remembered under the title of "Change me now"
So you will want to change the Stack File Name before you create a link to the file that you are targeting, or have set up with Launch short cuts.

If you do not do this, every time you create a new stack...it will appear as though it is using the previous stack.
Again, this can be modified by ctrl+L Click on the stack folder to bring up the Stack options window.

If you seem to get stuck with the same stack build, simply right click the folder, bring up Item Settings and change the Name.
Once the stack name is changed, click the stack folder again and you will be presented with a fresh stacks properties to work with.

Any questions let me know...and I will try to be less confusing when the pain killers ware off  :huh:

Thank you both for your timely response and your solutions to the matter.  You explained well for being on pain killers :) Anywho I discovered the options when I tried to run the standalone stack by itself with the "Run" command and it gave me those options (This was a fluke on my part).  Second, thanks for clearing the name issue up, I believe that is what was messing me up in the beginning.  As of now though, I decided also to use the Standalone Stack 2.0.7 for now and add the application to CD so if I need to edit the options I can just open the program.

Haani_Echad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Also this is off topic but sgtevmckay your center image is pretty sweet.  how'd you make it?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Thank you both for your timely response and your solutions to the matter.  You explained well for being on pain killers :) Anywho I discovered the options when I tried to run the standalone stack by itself with the "Run" command and it gave me those options (This was a fluke on my part).  Second, thanks for clearing the name issue up, I believe that is what was messing me up in the beginning.  As of now though, I decided also to use the Standalone Stack 2.0.7 for now and add the application to CD so if I need to edit the options I can just open the program.

Great...I would also appreciate to hear how well stack 2 works...if you could do a little review for us...That would be great.

Also I will point out the following limitations that Markham ran into while going over the Stacks 2
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20534.msg190974#msg190974

Let us know if you are so inclined....

:Thmbsup:

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:03 PM »
I figured someone would ask sooner or later....LOL

The icon is a mod of someone else's work, and I unfortunately do not remember who.

You are welcome to use it:
Attached  8)

Haani_Echad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44 PM »
Thank you both for your timely response and your solutions to the matter.  You explained well for being on pain killers :) Anywho I discovered the options when I tried to run the standalone stack by itself with the "Run" command and it gave me those options (This was a fluke on my part).  Second, thanks for clearing the name issue up, I believe that is what was messing me up in the beginning.  As of now though, I decided also to use the Standalone Stack 2.0.7 for now and add the application to CD so if I need to edit the options I can just open the program.

Great...I would also appreciate to hear how well stack 2 works...if you could do a little review for us...That would be great.

Also I will point out the following limitations that Markham ran into while going over the Stacks 2
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20534.msg190974#msg190974

Let us know if you are so inclined....

:Thmbsup:

I am not a programmer by no means I leave that up to you guys because you all are the experts :) but since I am using it I will run it for a while and see if any errors or things pop up and however it works out I will let you know.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Thanks in advance  :-*