topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Simple self contained data collection tool  (Read 4848 times)

mr miley

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Simple self contained data collection tool
« on: November 10, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Hi there. Noob here. I have a question for all those here. I am after a piece of software that will allow me to collect data from an end user WITHOUT them having to have something like Access etc installed. I have (or will have) a predefined table structure (relational) and I want a bit of software that will allow me to design the database, design some input screens and then bundle the whole thing together to distribute to clients. They will open the "app", fill in their data (wizard driven, possibly) and then email me the resulting file containing the data which I can then import to our Geotechnical database system. It's mainly meant for our ludite drillers so that they can fill in data in the "field" (quite litterally, sometimes) and then email the data in.
I know that one of the big database packages used to be able to do this by the means of a redistributable runtime of the database engine, which meant you could build your database how you liked it and then send it to people together with the runtime, a bit like powerpoints Pack and Go function, problem is I can't remember which one it was, and I can't find any mention of anything like this on any of their web sites. I don't particulary want this to be web based, I'd much rather a stand alone application. Any Ideas?

Miles

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Simple self contained data collection tool
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:13 AM »
surprised no one has responded to this yet.. seems like a very useful tool idea.  must be something to do this already no? maybe would be a good candidate for a coding snack or nany project?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44 AM »
I suppose, thinking about it some more, that while 10 years ago this would have been a fantastic idea -- today with everyone on the web, and the web interactive forms so easy to make now, that this falls into the category of things that could be done so much better and more easily as a web application.  I know you said you would prefer a standalone app, it's just that the extra work and hassle of that is hard to justify, plus not to mention that doing it on the web saves all the trouble of putting the data together into a database, etc.  The advantages of a web-based solution are just so numerous that it makes the idea of a standalone app pretty unappealing.

awopbamboo

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Miles

If you know exactly what you want and how it needs to work?  Then let me know the specifics and I'll see what I can try and put together for you, its obviously something you will find handy.