topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Screenshot Captor 2.08.01 - EARLY BETA with scrolling cap  (Read 26766 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor 2.08.01 - EARLY BETA with scrolling cap
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 03:52 PM »
OK...It would be great if it would work in opera,it's a great feature!  :Thmbsup:
The problem with the icon..I really don't know why that happened,i couldn't see it,but it was running in the processes..
Maybe it was because i didn't reboot after i installed it,or something like that..
Anyways,i just ran it again,and now it had no problems,the icon appeared and stayed there (last time,it appeared when sc was loaded,but disappeared after less than a second)
So..As of this moment,appart from that opera and msnmessenger,everything works as advertised  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 03:59 PM »
i've updated a new version that i hope will fix the recent opera thing that i broke in last version, give it a try; seems to work on opera now (i was doing a test to make sure the window existed before capture and for some reason opera was tricking it). 2.09.09, let me know if it works for you:
https://www.donation...ScreenshotCaptor.exe

you don't have to reboot on upgrade, just make sure it's not in the tray at the time you install new version over old.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 04:24 PM »
OK...now autoscroll is working with opera!
But i think something is wrong,because if i do ctrl+shift+prtsc and then press shift+click,it does the region select,and if i do ctrl+shift+click,it does the autoscroll cap an everything works allright,but if i do ctrl+click (to capture the window),again,nothing happens..
As for the icon,I've just understood the problem.I use blackbox for windows,and i have the option of shift-rightclicking the icons on the taskbar and make them disappear,and then when i need them again,i go to the taskbar menu and make them appear again.The problem is that if i make sc's icon disappear,it completely vanishes,not appearing on the taskbar menu to be brought back.this is the first app that does this,and it doesn't happen with farr nor with process tammer.not a big deal,i can not make it disappear and no problem,it just stays there!  :D

therube

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 09:22 AM »
Capture Object with Autoscroll Now, does not seem to be working with the Mozilla (Suite v1.7.12) browser.

The only thing it picks up is the current screen.

It does work with IE.

Screenshot Captor v2.09.09

-------

MiniCap v1.01.02 also does not work with Mozilla.

It would be great to have a stand-alone MiniCap!

-------

Neither program Autoscrolls with Mozilla Firefox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060112 Firefox/1.6a1
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 09:30 AM by therube »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 09:41 AM »
SnagIt seems to scroll Firefox without any problems.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 09:42 AM »
yep - mozilla is doing something different.. i'm working on it.  thank you with the report.
carol what mode did you use to scroll firefox with snagit?

if there is interest i will make a tiny little minicap program available as a standalone tool.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 09:44 AM »
I used "Autoscroll Window" and pointed to the content area of the TAB pane. You have to be careful where you point though because pages with tables (like SMF forums) can easily capture just parts of the page.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 04:08 PM »
uploaded minor new version (2.09.10) which can now scrolling capture mozilla (make sure you are not in an edit box when you engage the shift+ctrl scroll capture or it wont work).

therube

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Working like a charm with Mozilla/SeaMonkey.
Thanks.

As far as MiniCap, I think something smaller would be great to be able to carry around on a pen drive.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2006, 03:44 AM »
Thanks that works fine in Mozilla now.

A couple of further thoughts:

Strange behaviour with XDesk persists though. Is it possible to contact the author of XDesk to see where the conflict may lie. What happens is that when you initiate a scrolling capture (shift + rt. ctrl) the XDesk preview of the multiple desktops pops up from the system tray and interferes with the capture. The results are unpredictable including an occasional good capture, a black screen capture (just a black block) to a partial capture with repeats of a section going off to the right.

Is the algorithm of how the window scrolled in the library package or do you actually initiate the scrolling. It just doesn't seem to be very efficient. For example a screen requiring a single down scroll (ie. effectively a Page Down) flickers and flashes like mad, and pages that are larger in both x and y directions than the screen area seem to take quite a log time to render. It's not actually a problem as it works but it is a little disconcerting to see the page flipping about and blanking out like its on speed for 15-20 seconds.

The Red tooltip at the top of the redbox - I mentioned this before but I don't know if you saw it ... would it be possible to have that appear inside the rectangle so that it is visible when the item to capture is filling the whole screen.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2006, 08:22 AM »
option to have captionbar inside the box is a very good one, i will make that an option.

xdesk interference - that sounds like you've identified the problem; maybe i can contact author and see if anything can be done.  no way to disable the xdesk previewer temporarily i suppose?

Is the algorithm of how the window scrolled in the library package or do you actually initiate the scrolling. It just doesn't seem to be very efficient.
this is all done by my code but it's quite necesary.  there is no simple way to capture scrolling windows - what has to be done is one has to mark up the image and then send scrolling commands and then look for your marks in the new window, to see where you marks has moved.  snagit uses a much more subtle marker - you can probably notice some dots on your window if you look closely while snagit scrolls.  i may try to use more subtle marks in the future after we know everything else is working right.  maybe i should call it epileptic capture mode until then?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 08:23 AM by mouser »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2006, 11:39 AM »
option to have captionbar inside the box is a very good one, i will make that an option.

That's great - thanks

xdesk interference - that sounds like you've identified the problem; maybe i can contact author and see if anything can be done.  no way to disable the xdesk previewer temporarily i suppose?
I have disabled QuickView altogether (it is the part of the app that shows thumbnails of the active desktops) and can live without it for the moment.

For some reason the redbox capture must be issuing a Win+Q key stroke in the background to pull up the QuickView windows. Can't think why though.

Is the algorithm of how the window scrolled in the library package or do you actually initiate the scrolling. It just doesn't seem to be very efficient.
this is all done by my code but it's quite necesary.  there is no simple way to capture scrolling windows - what has to be done is one has to mark up the image and then send scrolling commands and then look for your marks in the new window, to see where you marks has moved.  snagit uses a much more subtle marker - you can probably notice some dots on your window if you look closely while snagit scrolls.  i may try to use more subtle marks in the future after we know everything else is working right.  maybe i should call it epileptic capture mode until then?
I can see why you would need to do that but I tried a capture of this webpage and it took over 15 seconds to complete and scrolled the window about 4 times plus a lot of intermittent flashing where the page didn't seem to move ???

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2006, 12:32 PM »
but I tried a capture of this webpage and it took over 15 seconds to complete and scrolled the window about 4 times plus a lot of intermittent flashing where the page didn't seem to move ???

good point - i may be overly cautious about leaving enough time for things to take effect.  after we get more experience with this new feature perhaps i can speed it up or offer some options.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2006, 12:58 PM »
just a note; on a test i just ran capturing this page, horizontal and vertical scroll needed,
screenshot captor took 13 seconds, snagit 21 seconds.

a test which involved no horizontal scrolling had this reversed.
with screenshot captor taking 20 seconds and seeming to get stuck temporarily at bottom, and snagit taking only 12.
another test had sc doing it in 11 seconds.  i think the first time an animation on the page confused it - i might be able to tweak that so it's not fooled by such stuff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 01:02 PM by mouser »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2006, 01:08 PM »
Yes I got 13s for Snagit - but without the pyrotechnics ;)