topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as Rentacoder in reverse?  (Read 8197 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Is there such a thing as Rentacoder in reverse?
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:56 PM »
There are quite a few useful sites where a company or individual can post about a programming project they are willing to pay to have implemented, places like rentacoder.

More and more I find myself, as a programmer, in the opposite position - I have a programming project that I have already implemented an initial version of on my own time, and am pleased enough with it to think it deserves further development.  DC has provided such a wonderful place in terms of being able to get some support to work on these kinds of programs.  But there are also times when it's not real a DC-centric project and I can't afford to keep working on it on my own time -- and i don't have the skills or inclination to try to market it or find traditional funding.

I'm sure other programmers at DC may find themselves in similar situations sometimes.

So while I know this is a long shot, I wonder if anyone had any ideas about how a programmer might find and connect with someone who would be interested in funding additional development of an existing project and handle the business end of things, in return for partial ownership, etc.?

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there such a thing as Rentacoder in reverse?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Almost sounds like an idea I had a little while ago for sort of a mini-VC funding social networking/community site. But I figured something like it would have to already exist. I didn't look very hard, didn't find anything though. Then I thought mostly what I want is just a way to connect myself with cool projects, so it got more specific and I lost interest in it. But now that you bring it up *as a coder* it's piqued my interest again. Hmm...

- Oshyan

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30 AM »
You could create a section of the forum/site, where coders could publish their app, and receive payment by credits. These credits could then be transfered to their creditcard or paypal accounts, so the payment is dealt with. After receiving the payment, the coder would have to release the software to the paying 'customers', similar to the Apple AppStore, with similar prices. 8)

I'm pretty sure this can already be done with the current infrastructure of DC :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Ath, im not talking about cases where end users pay for software by donating credits.. i'm really talking more about situations where a programmer might have a program or web service that they think could have commercial use, or even be something that would make a good non-profit project, etc., but which requires some funding money to pay programmers time or even (yuck i hate the sound of it) advertising budget, etc.

In other words, im thinking about cases where a programmer wants a partner -- to help pay for further development and Shepard the project into commercial market, and then share in any profit.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Isn't that what 50% or so (may be even 80%) of all 2-men software-startups are all about, 1 guy with a good idea and some sourcecode, and another guy with commercial skills (and/or funding) to get it sold?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Indeed it is Ath -- maybe thats a good name and theme for a website -- Two Person Startup.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44 PM »
I know it probably sounds painful, but the best I could suggest is to follow the rentacoder type sites looking for that specific project (or one close to it).  If it isn't there it may not be as food an idea as you think.  If it is, then you could snap it up.

Unfortunately, most people would see a site like you are describing as nothing more than traditional advertising.  At least I think they would.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Two Person Startup
To mango or not to mango, that is the question...

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Just found this, looks interesting and related:
http://fairsoftware.net/home
particularly: http://fairsoftware.net/publicProjects

- Oshyan