topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Circle Dock v1.00 Beta 1  (Read 22217 times)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Circle Dock v1.00 Beta 1
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Ok folks, here it is - Circle Dock with elliptical dock shape! Please read these notes carefully before trying this Beta.

• This is Beta Code and will, in all likelihood, contain some bugs.
  • The attached Zip file contains only the Circle Dock executable file. You must already have installed the latest v0.9.3/1 release.
  • Before unzipping the Beta executable, exit all instances of Circle Dock that you have running.
  • I strongly suggest that you make a backup copy of your CircleDock.Exe file by, for example, renaming it to "CircleDock-0.9.3.1.exe".
  • You can now safely unzip Beta 1 into your CircleDock folder and play with the new features
  • To change the dock's shape from Circle to Ellipse, bring up the main Properties dialog and select the "Dock Shape" tab, click on the "Shape" combo and select "Ellipse". Having done that, you'll probably want to adjust the height and width of the "rings" using the sliders provided on the "Ellipse" sub-tab. You can also adjust the width of the background on the "Background" sub-tab of the "Elements" tab - this will resize the background using the same aspect ratio as the "rings".
  • One of the changes made to this release is that all image rendering is now done at the highest possible quality and all the images will now appear crisper and the labels clearer. However, this is at the expense of speed and whilst this won't be a problem for those with faster CPUs, it might appear to be slower on older, less "meaty" PCs. You can disable this option and use the faster image rendering of previous releases on the "Other" sub-tab of the "General" tab.

Please report any bugs you find - and your comments and suggestions - as replies to this Topic thread.

Thank you - enjoy and please psot some feedback!

Mark

Download link: * CircleDockBeta1.zip (1434.42 kB - downloaded 1546 times.)

meet2002

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Circle Dock v1.00 Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:23 PM »
1. need confirm to delete item icon.
2. issue with to add "File, Folder or special" and "Folder Stack", you never can stop or cancel the action, even you select nothing

meet2002

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Test in progress...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:35 PM by meet2002 »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06 AM »
2. issue with to add "File, Folder or special" and "Folder Stack", you never can stop or cancel the action, even you select nothing
Some users may disagree with you regard your first point. Your second point is a good catch and I've fixed that issue. Thanks!

Mark

meet2002

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:41 AM »
Some users may disagree with you regard your first point. Your second point is a good catch and I've fixed that issue. Thanks!

Mark

Regarding to point 1, sometimes I lost the item by just clicking the item icon in some kind of conditions, maybe my computer is too slow now. I just try to find out the real reason why I lost my item icon. Thanks for your efforts, it's a great product.

meet2002

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35 AM »
My item icon is gone.

Here is a sample. My system: XP Pro sp3 Engilsh

I create a item, such as the special one: Program Folder, then I try to open it by clicking the icon. It's gone after several  attempts. Could you tell me why, Thanks a lot.

Attachment is SWF format

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:21 AM »
I am unable to reproduce this problem ...

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is Circle Dock portable?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Is this a portable software? I have no intention of using a software that is not portable.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Is this a portable software? I have no intention of using a software that is not portable.

Yes it is: there's a setting to enable that mode. The next version, due "real soon now™" will detect if it is being run from removeable media and automatically select Portable Mode.

Mark

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Refuses to install on XP: I get the following errors when trying to install on windows XP:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7012/circledock.jpg
Circle Dock v1.00 Beta 1

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7062/circledock2.jpg
Circle Dock v1.00 Beta 1

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Yes it is: there's a setting to enable that mode.
What do you mean 'a setting to enable portable mode' ? Is that a setting during the installation wizard like chosing between portable install or regular install?

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Refuses to install on XP: I get the following errors when trying to install on windows XP:
I think what you mean is that Circle Dock doesn't run under your copy of XP  ;)

It seems that your PC is using an Asian language setting and I think the answer is to check your Unicode settings in the Control Panel.

Mark

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Yes it is: there's a setting to enable that mode.
What do you mean 'a setting to enable portable mode' ? Is that a setting during the installation wizard like chosing between portable install or regular install?
No, it's a configuration setting within Circle Dock.

Mark

ender

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I have the same problem as ppass , as circle dock refuses to install.
I also receive a similar error message, except I am on windows vista home premium.
with German as my system language.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Yes, I use a Japanese Windows XP. So what? Isn't it supposed to work whatever the version of XP? This is the 1st time I hear something like this.

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 11:59 PM »
I think the answer to both your problems lies in your Unicode settings ... please check them.

Mark

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16 AM »
I do not want to change any setting because my other installed software work properly with the current settings. Please improve your software so that it works on any Windows XP and Vista and ... what ever the locale settings. This is the 1st time that I encounter a case where locale settings must be changed so as to install a software.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 02:19 AM »
No, it's a configuration setting within Circle Dock.

Mark

So does the initial install of Circle Dock work exactly like the install of any portable software? That translated to no writing / reading to the registry, no writing to C:\Documents and Settings\

If the install is like this, then I do not understand why there is a switch to make it portable? What does this switch do exactly?

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 04:04 AM »
There is no registry installation or writing...it has to do with how windows handles the "write" permissions.

If you unpackage or just install CircleDock....Windows will automatically assume that the software is to be as though it is installed software...by Default.
Windows will then automatically create AppData files to handle the information through the Windows Read/Write standard

The portable option tells Windows that CircleDock will handle its own business, and windows will allow writing of information to the CircleDock folder, and not to the AppData files.

ppass

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 05:56 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, easy to understand, thanks.

So that means that once I manage to install the software (which is not yet the case because I get an error) and turn "portable mode" on, then I can transfer the program folder to a USB memory and run it from there?

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I do not want to change any setting because my other installed software work properly with the current settings. Please improve your software so that it works on any Windows XP and Vista and ... what ever the locale settings. This is the 1st time that I encounter a case where locale settings must be changed so as to install a software.
First of all, I do happen to know that there are Circle Dock users in China, Russia, Japan and Russia and none of them have reported any similar problem to yours. We also have users in other non-English speaking countries who run the program without problem. I'll let you ponder as to why that might be.

As to whether Circle Dock modifies the Registry or stores its data outside its home folder, no it doesn't. It will set an entry in the Registry if you opt to start Circle Dock with Windows, however; all other settings, however, are stored within data files stored with the application. Circle Dock is, by default, a portable application. The "Portable Application" configuration setting modifies the pathing information used and should only be enabled if running from removeable media whose drive letter could change.

Finally, I'd like you to remember that both the Sarge and myself are here on a purely voluntary basis and that you can download and use the software without paying even one Yen for it. Perhaps you would bear this in mind when making future posts and not be so over-bearing.

Thank you.

Mark

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, easy to understand, thanks.

So that means that once I manage to install the software (which is not yet the case because I get an error) and turn "portable mode" on, then I can transfer the program folder to a USB memory and run it from there?

Apparently I was incorrect about the Registry statement.
I was utilizing my experience from Rainmeter..and not all programs are alike.
Please refer to Markham's last post.

I am going to make a very bold and rare suggestion. I would not do this under normal conditions...and apparently what ever condition you are having is out side my experience level, or ability to wrap my head around.

I am going to suggest an action of wait.
Wait for the release of version 1.0, and then try again.
This is something that no one every wants to hear, but it is teh best recommendation I can gice at this time.

As to your actual questions.....yes....you should be able to set CircleDock to portable mode then move the file to a thumb drive.

If this is your intent...to utilize CircleDock as a portable launcher.....I would set the configuration, and move teh file...prior to modifying CircleDock with Icons, shortcuts and folders.

I would alsop go so far as to tell you to try this, and then see if CircleDock works on other computers as a portable solution.

ender

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 01:38 PM »
I think the answer to both your problems lies in your Unicode settings ... please check them.

Mark
hi Mark, I went to the settings, and checked, but every setting I can see, says German, or Germany.
I can change the country, but I don't see, where to change the "unicode" setting?

Edit: I just saw the new reply of sgtevmckay, its ok then, I will wait, till final is out, and try out circle dock again.
thank you both for continuing this project!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 01:40 PM by ender »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I went to the settings, and checked, but every setting I can see, says German, or Germany.
I can change the country, but I don't see, where to change the "unicode" setting?
I've just rebooted my PC with Germany as the locale and Circle Dock is, I'm afraid to say, working as it should.

In the error message you get when starting Circle Dock, what character are you seeing for the file path that should be a back-slash ("\")? You should see something like "C:\Program Files\CircleDock\System\Settings\Config.ini". Maybe the answer to that will give me a clue.

Mark

ender

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 03:09 PM »

In the error message you get when starting Circle Dock, what character are you seeing for the file path that should be a back-slash ("\")? You should see something like "C:\Program Files\CircleDock\System\Settings\Config.ini". Maybe the answer to that will give me a clue.

Mark

hi Mark, I finally found the problem, it was just me, unable to follow instructions carefully.
I reread the steps on top, and realized, I never placed your beta version into the proper folder of the old installed version.
I apologize for the confusion this caused, and will now go and do it properly!

(Modified to fix quote tags)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:03 PM by Markham »