topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lenovo Reliability  (Read 9040 times)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Lenovo Reliability
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:30 PM »
The December issue of Consumer Reports came today.  CU rates Lenovo as the least-reliable laptop, based on surveying 75,000 people who bought a laptop between 2005 and the first half of 2009.  That's quite a fall.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lenovo Reliability
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:28 PM »
Wow! Yeah, up until very recently I've continued to regard them highly, and the press has seemed to do likewise. This is the first explicit acknowledgement of large-scale problems I've seen actually. We had some problems with one at work about 6-8 months ago, so I've been a bit wary since then...

So what was listed as the most reliable?

- Oshyan

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:02 AM »
So what was listed as the most reliable?

Laptops, in order:

Toshiba
Sony
Compaq
Acer
Apple
HP
Gateway
Dell
Lenovo

It's worth noting that the laptop ratings weren't too different from one brand to the next.  With desktops, Apple was notably better than the rest.

Apple
Compaq
eMachines
Dell
HP
Sony
Gateway

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Toshiba used to have a reputation for good service if you have a problem (I dont know if that still the case)
Acer have a very bad rep (here in Germany anyway) - I've seen stories online of people sending off their laptop & getting them back not properly fixed but with additional problems

Something else to consider...
Tom

plutchok

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:06 AM »
Thank you for the alert, MRainey. Please clarify, though: Were only Lenovo laptops rated poorly, or also ThinkPads (made by Lenovo)? I have always been a great ThinkPad fan, though I didn't like Lenovo laptops as much. (BTW, my one fairly recent Toshiba was lousy.)

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:58 AM »
The article doesn't address reliability of specific models.  I'm sure we all have stories to tell about lemons we've known and loved.

The two IdeaPads they rate for features and value get average scores.

BTW, CU rates Apple as way ahead of everybody else for quality of tech support.  I suspect for most of us here, tech support comes from digging around on the Internet.  I haven't actually called a manufacturer in many years.

sttrebo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:31 AM »
my lenovo t61 has been pretty much bullet proof in the year and a half that i've owned it.  but then again, it hasn't been on too many trips.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Does anybody have any thoughts on Asus laptops? It seems I (almost) only see them widely rated and available on newegg.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Does anybody have any thoughts on Asus laptops? It seems I (almost) only see them widely rated and available on newegg.

I have no experience directly but several people were very happy with their eee and the high end asus laptops - they are certainly a brand I would/will personally consider, based on my experience with other asus products

What always surprises me is that there are so many different experiences when there are so few companies actually building the barebones stuff - for example the large 17" laptop I have existed as Dell, Toshiba, HP, several smaller brands - same looks, same spec, only tiny cosmetic differences

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Thank you and yes Asus motherboards at least.
I am leaning towards getting one like this http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16834220637

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28 AM »
I have owned an Asus screen, several Asus wireless routers (1 router, 1 working as a bridge, 1 when i lived elsewhere and their mini pocket router) and some asus fanless graphics card. All still in use and still working, the routers are 2 to 3 years old, the cards both about 2 years old etc. Oh, and we had the barebones Terminators at work in a past company, no complaints there either.

Could have been lucky in my choices but it does give me some confidence within these range of products - although whether it carries to laptops is anyone's guess since I think most manufacturers actually only assemble. And I still check specs and reviews before I buy anything

Other laptops I have had great experiences with are fujitsu (but know people who didnt, on that one)

My partner has an Asus notebook with an ATI card we snatched on ebay and it's solid

Not sure what notebook I would buy if I bought one now, alas my requiremements tend to go contrary to the market (high res but small screen etc.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 01:35 AM by iphigenie »