topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Freeware (commercial use allowed) Anti-Virus Tool For Small LAN  (Read 15250 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have created a small LAN of a half-dozen computer here at work whose purpose is to allow access to the un-filtered Internet. (Our standard issue government computers can't reach some sites our jobs require.)

I have already set up a Ubuntu 9.04 server to act as a NAT/gateway/firewall box, but I want to be able to install anti-virus software on each of the boxes, but...

I want to have a central way to manage all of the boxes so that individual boxes don't need to be attended to. I am thinking of something like the commercial products from Norton/Symantec for commercial LANs.

Anybody have an ideas where I might find something like this?

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I don't really know your setup, or if money is an issue, but you could use a sonicwall. Though, it kind of conflicts with your ubuntu server. Sonicwalls have antivirus built into them, and if you try to download something that is infected, it will block access and alert you that the file is infected. Also, I don't know if it would be useful to you, but sonicwalls also have a content filter. I don't work for sonicwall, so this isn't a plug for them, but my brother is a reseller for them, so we have one at home.
[Insert really cool signature here]

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SonicWall? I don't know if you could suggest anything less like freeware if you tried. They are rather expensive & their content filter subscriptions aren't exactly cheap, either.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
lol, yeah, thats why I said I don't know if money was an issue. on my desktop I just use avira, and I use an AV by microsoft on my laptop, so I can't really be of much help.

edit: and the post title did say commercial use allowed...
[Insert really cool signature here]

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If the sole purpose of the this network is to access the web, why not set the individual PCs up as thin clients connecting to your server? That way, you won't need to worry about the individual machines at all since AV and (everything else!) will be provided via the host machine.

Check out the Linux Terminal Server Project ( www.ltsp.org ) for more info:

The Linux Terminal Server Project adds thin-client support to Linux servers. LTSP is a flexible, cost effective solution that is empowering schools, businesses, and organizations all over the world to easily install and deploy desktop workstations. A growing number of Linux distributions include LTSP out-of-the-box.

Edubuntu can create an LTSP server for you if you do your installation from the alternate rather than the live CD. Hit F4 after you select your language. Then from the Modes menu select the LTSP option and it will walk you through it.

The Edubuntu folks have a nice 'cookbook' page for getting LTSP up and running under the Ubuntu family.

Link: https://help.ubuntu....uCookbook/ThinClient

Might be worth a look.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

---

Note: AFAIK the only NIX AV software that allows for free commercial/business use is ClamAV - which is not the greatest.

For Windows machines (including Server 2003!) you can use the latest version of MS Windows Defender. It's getting good reviews. Independent preliminary tests indicate it provides acceptable levels of protection and compares favorably with some of the big names.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
These computers need to be fat clients. They will be used for stuff like Second Life, America's Army, etc.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I would have to agree with 40hz about the choices being very limited. (he pretty much nailed all your choices (2) in that post)

Another thought I had was combining it with something similar to deepfreeze, so a mere reboot would be enough to make sure the systems are nice & clean. As far as what is available for free like that, the only one I could find was Windows SteadyState.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
These computers need to be fat clients. They will be used for stuff like Second Life, America's Army, etc.

Two quick questions:

1) Are they running Windows or Linux as their OS?

2) If you couldn't get AV for free, could you somehow afford $108/per year (or $10/mo) if that would cover providing up to 10 clients with realtime AV protection via Kapersky at the gateway level?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They are running windows.

I don't think there is an option for what I wanted available. I'm am going to just use independent installations on each computer and manage them one-by-one. When the group administration "requirement" is lifted, the Army has several commercial options that I get access to.

And thanks for reminding me about Microsoft's new AV product. I had forgotten about it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When you get a chance, check out Untangle Gateway over at www.untangle.com  :-*

This is one of those sleeper projects that's great for when you're setting up and securing a small (or even not so small) network. I'm amazed it isn't better known.

Most of the features it supports are available for free (FOSS/GPL). Installable as either a NIX-based standalone server or as a background app on a member machine running Windows.

Well worth a look. I've mentioned it in previous posts.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with Untangle Inc., makers of Untangle Gateway. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:36 AM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Avira has a nice (but not free) solution for your setup and management requirements. Their license is cross platform (Linux/UNIX included) so you can protect your Linux box as well and make sure that bad software/internet packages are intercepted at the gateway instead of landing at your .

As a happy Avira user with a big aversion towards anything Symantec/Norton/McAfee related, I could not pass up the opportunity giving you the link above. You will find other links to more specific solutions if you so desire. With more than 5 users they are even giving you a 30% savings deal.

Sorry if all of the above sounds too much like a commercial. Rest assured there's no affiliation of any kind going on, just a happy user.

EDIT:
just read the comment from 40Hz. Untangle seems also a very nice product. Definitely something I will look further into. Thanks 40Hz  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:09 AM by Shades »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And thanks for reminding me about Microsoft's new AV product. I had forgotten about it.

Just check the EULA very carefully. I wouldn't be surprised if MS would insist that in your situation their corporate product be used.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Just check the EULA very carefully. I wouldn't be surprised if MS would insist that in your situation their corporate product be used.

Innuendo makes an excellent point. Always read the EULA.

Last time I checked, Microsoft was saying any licensed user of Windows XP, Vista, 7, or Server 2003, is licensed to use Windows Defender free of charge. (They use Genuine Advantage to verify you have a legitimate copy BTW.)

Since there aren't separate licenses for business use of any Microsoft OS, I would surmise business use of Defender is also covered by those terms.

I don't think we'll need to worry too much however. Microsoft is more concerned with doing everything they can to make Win7 successful and get beyond the (not always justifiable) negative opinions surrounding Vista. I doubt they're going to do anything to rock that boat. Even Ballmer isn't that stupid.

Still, Microsoft does move quickly and unexpectedly when it comes to EULA rewrites so maybe I'd better go check it again... :tellme:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:01 AM by 40hz »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Someone on friendfeed gave me this info to pass on to you:

FortiClient Endpoint Security Suite

http://www.forticlient.com/standard.html

The standard version is free and OK for commercial use (actually better than ok, it is intended for commercial use).

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Freeware (commercial use allowed) Anti-Virus Tool For Small LAN
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:36 AM »
(For an unrelated reason) I decided to take a look at what Comodo was up to lately, and found an Antivirus/Firewall product that is centrally managed and free for up to five computers.

Why Use Comodo Endpoint Security Manager?

Comodo Endpoint Security Manager (CESM) provides maximum IT security with minimum IT expense. CESM allows you to centrally and remotely manage the desktop security of dozens to thousands of networked PC's. CESM includes Comodo's award winning firewall and antivirus with Default Deny Protection™ that stops zero-day malware threats and Comodo Disk Encryption to secure business data. Deploying Comodo ESM will rapidly strengthen desktop security while centralized administration will immediately deliver significant operational cost benefits.

I may give it a try, but I have already installed Microsoft Security Essentials on all of the computers.