topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: typeadrun  (Read 9190 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
typeadrun
« on: January 04, 2006, 03:54 PM »
hey mouser!
first,i must say: this is a great program!!! thanks!!!
i was needing a program like farr,since i use blackbox for windows (http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/) and i don't have fast access to start menu.
but when i started using farr,i detected that one of its functions is not using it's full power.
i'm referring to aliases.i'm not an expert in using them,but i think they are missing a few functions (or would it be that i just don't know how to use them? ;))
the functions that i think are missing are something like this:
1) create an alias fast (i know u don't like hotkeys,but IMO this would be an important place to put one),just like in typeandrun (http://www.galanc.com ->great console also!),in witch you just type the path to the file,ctrl + n and you've created a brand new alias!
2) i don't like the idea of selecting another option other than the first one in farr,so,it seems that creating a group just doesn't fit me..i'd like to create a group like,say..named 'games' with all my games,and then,to call one of the games in that group,just write it's name until it becomes the first one and then press enter..would this be possible?
well..i think that's all for now,ill try to have new ideas to help improve your great work!
thanks again keep up the good work!
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

(ps: sorry for the not-so-good english,i'm portuguese,not used to write in english ;) )

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: typeadrun
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:10 PM »
welcome to the site jgpaiva, i will consider #1, i think it should be added something like that.

as for #2:
you can definitely make an alias with a whole list of games in it, then just type the name of the alias group "games"
and you will see a list of all your games in that alias group, hit the # to correspond to the one to launch.

or is that not what you wanted?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 04:26 PM »
thanks for the fast answer (omg how is this possible,it only gave me time to see a few posts :))
i sure would like for the first request to be applied,i dont like the idea of having two similar programs running at the same time(as i have now ;))
as for the second matter,thats excactlly my problem: i don't like the idea of launching another but the first item of the menu (like selecting it with # or f#),imagine this situation: if i had a group called games with more items than i have set to appear at the menu,i would'nt be able to call all of them.
in this "games" group imagine i would have minesweeper.i would like to call it with "games minesweeper".is there any way to do this?
thanks!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:22 PM »
reviving an old thread..

jgpaiva, can typeandrun show a file-browse window for the user to select the folders/files, much like windows' run box?

btw, the web-site seems to have expired, i had to d/l from softpedia...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Oh... i thought that'd happen :(
The author didn't answer me one e-mail i sent him, and i stopped using it. I'm now using farr and run box for that matter.
typeandrun actually has a completetion list, you access it with alt+down, i think, but it's not very handy :S

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:53 PM »
well, that's another launcher to the dumps... by run-box, i assume that you mean windows' run-box...
anyway since i started using f+rr, all others look a distant second and i'm not the one for eye-candy gui launchers. now if only f+rr has a feature for folder browsing...  ;)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 09:52 PM »
i was needing a program like farr,since i use blackbox for windows (http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/)

Wow, I had no idea there was a blackbox for windows . . . consider me, a fan of it's linux counterpart, excited.  That said, you can access the start menu by hitting the windows button on your keyboard, if you have one.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 03:49 AM »
Wow, I had no idea there was a blackbox for windows . . . consider me, a fan of it's linux counterpart, excited. 
:) I hope you like it, i personally loved it. I used it for 3 years and sure liked the experience!

That said, you can access the start menu by hitting the windows button on your keyboard, if you have one.
That could happen if i had the start menu configured, which i didn't. I removed the start menu from my menus, because it'd become too small with way too many entries, farr is just... faster ;)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 05:08 AM »
Wow, I had no idea there was a blackbox for windows . . . consider me, a fan of it's linux counterpart, excited. 
:) I hope you like it, i personally loved it. I used it for 3 years and sure liked the experience!

I'm playing with it.  Not quite as stable as the linux version . . . but not unusable at this point.  What are you using now-a-days, explorer? :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 07:03 AM »
Allen: not stable? It's way more stable than explorer, at least it was for me..
Did you "install it" i.e. set it as your shell?
If you go to process manager, do you still have explorer running?

If you install bb, it'll replace explorer, so, you'll only have it running when you explore your computer (if you don't use dopus, or something similar)

Not much time ago, i got back to explorer, only i was having an issue with farr's focus, and thought it was bb-related. BB also isn't compatible with google desktop, or any sort of programs that use their own graphic display (like rainmeter and rainlendar, those widget things).

Other than that, bb is quite complete, it's got the most awesome plugins that you should have a look when you feel confortable with it.

By what i see from your site and blog, i'd say bb is perfect for you, everything is kept very simple, it's veery fast (faster than explorer, i'd say), it's got native support for multiple desktops (which was my biggest problem when i got back to explorer), it supports extreme costumization with minimum resource use, and still, looks good :)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Right now, my problem is with the latest preview of Opera -- with bb running, it crashes -constantly-.  And, yes, this was after installing it as default shell and rebooting . . .

That's pretty crippling, for me :) If I can get it working right, it should be right up my alley.  First thing I do on a linux install is ensure gnome/kde know they're not welcome.  I usually use fluxbox, actually -- which is based on blackbox.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 09:41 AM »
g... not having opera would drive me mad!

If you use fluxbox in linux, i'm sure you'll love bb4win, if you get that problem solved :)