topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinPatrol PLUS $10 off through end of September  (Read 7648 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinPatrol PLUS $10 off through end of September
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Bill Pytlovany, the developer of WinPatrol, has announced a "back to school" offer of $10 off on WinPatrol PLUS, which normally sells for $29.95.  He says explicitly that you don't have to be a student to take advantage of the offer, which runs through the end of September.  More details can be found on his blog at http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2009/09/winpatrol-plus-back-to-school-special.html

WinPatrol is a terrific program for monitoring your computer. It will warn you of any changes made to your system (e.g., if a program adds itself to your startup menu or tries to modify your HOSTS file), and you can approve or reject the changes. You can also use WinPatrol to see and control what programs are already scheduled to start when you turn on your computer, what programs are currently running, and a lot more. WinPatrol comes in a free version, but I'd recommend taking advantage of the above offer for the PLUS version, which offers real-time detection of newly-installed programs and a huge database of easy-to-understand information about the files it detects. The developer provides very prompt and helpful responses to questions, as well as a guarantee that once you pay for the PLUS version, all upgrades are free: you never have to pay for new versions. I bought WinPatrol PLUS several years ago after reading the unanimously glowing reviews of the Neat Net Tricks Software Review Panel, and I've been delighted with it. Available for all versions of Windows from Windows 98 through Windows 7, including x64 systems.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinPatrol PLUS $10 off through end of September
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:08 PM »
I bought the thing too, but once he turned it into a method for trying to coerce governments by denying access to it for residents of that country I got rid of the thing.  Whatever the merits of his argument with the other country's government it could easily leave anybody outside the USA without updates and support if needed, after all, which country will peeve him next?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:54 AM »
I bought the thing too, but once he turned it into a method for trying to coerce governments by denying access to it for residents of that country I got rid of the thing.

What are you refering to?  I don't see anything about denying access to residents of certain countries, but I might not be looking in the right place.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:38 AM »
Yeah I couldnt find it on his homepage either but it was in his blog, which I used to read and I guote

Sunday, June 07, 2009
WinPatrol PLUS Boycott of Brazil

I’m not usually one to mix business and politics but growing up in America you learn that sometimes you just have to stand up and make a statement. One issue in the news that hits home is the story David Goldman of New Jersey who has been trying to be reunited with his son Sean currently being held in Brazil.
  http://billpstudios....9_06_01_archive.html

Like I said the merits of his complaint are not the point, I tend to agree with him that it isn't right from the story he has published, but then there are usually two sides to these things as well.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:12 AM »
Whatever the merits of his argument with the other country's government it could easily leave anybody outside the USA without updates and support if needed, after all, which country will peeve him next?

I don't see what justification you have for this supposition.
He's blocking only new purchases from Brazilian domains. He is keeping the free version available. He explicitly states that updates & support are available to people from Brazil who have already purchased the program.

PS - It's also coming up on BdJ at an even cheaper price.

keiffer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Is this the same one that is going to be on bitdujour for $14.95?
http://www.bitsdujou...ware/winpatrol-plus/

Keith

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:03 PM »

Keith

The same!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:58 PM »
Yeah I couldnt find it on his homepage either but it was in his blog, which I used to read and I guote

Sunday, June 07, 2009
WinPatrol PLUS Boycott of Brazil

I’m not usually one to mix business and politics but growing up in America you learn that sometimes you just have to stand up and make a statement. One issue in the news that hits home is the story David Goldman of New Jersey who has been trying to be reunited with his son Sean currently being held in Brazil.
  http://billpstudios....9_06_01_archive.html

Like I said the merits of his complaint are not the point, I tend to agree with him that it isn't right from the story he has published, but then there are usually two sides to these things as well.

I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this since I read your post, Grorgy. I've decided that I agree with you - punishing individuals for the policies of their governments isn't really appropriate at this level. Kind of like bashing all Americans because one doesn't agree with their government's policy on, say, climate change or Iraq. And yes, I have been regrettably guilty of this myself...  :-[

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:25 PM »

Keith

I've been using the free version for years.  I saw some references on the web, but not explicit on the site that I could find, that one license is good for all your home PCs, so I went for it.  Activated on both my machines.  Not bad for $14.95!  I haven't tried the online database info thingy yet.  That's about all of the extra features I'm likely to use.  But I figured I've been using the guy's program forever. Might as well chip in a bit. :)

edit: tried the "Plus Info" thing on a few services.  Seems to work ok.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 12:30 PM by MilesAhead »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28 PM »
I saw some references on the web, but not explicit on the site that I could find, that one license is good for all your home PCs, so I went for it.

In a sidebar box, "Multiple computers?",  there's this:

Can I use my activation code on both my desktop and laptop?

Of course. You're the customer not your computer. You're welcome to use a single license code onany computer you personally own and use.