topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mask/Forge Hard-Drive Properties?  (Read 5090 times)

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mask/Forge Hard-Drive Properties?
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:22 PM »
A friend just recently asked me if there was a way he could forge the properties of his hard-drive so that it would look like it had nothing on it. I told him it wasn't possible but now I'm thinking I could be wrong.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mask/Forge Hard-Drive Properties?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Try this link http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

On this page you will find links to its online manual, FAQ and forum.

It is a powerful piece of software, which in default mode will check your hard disk and is harmless. There are however some hard disk manipulation options available that will destroy the content if it is not used properly. Please read the manual and try it on a spare hard disk with data you don't care about. Only after you get a good feel for the options and the possibilities, try it on important data.

Personally, I use it only to check the condition of hard disks (because power failures are quite common here in Paraguay).

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:34 AM »
A friend just recently asked me if there was a way he could forge the properties of his hard-drive so that it would look like it had nothing on it. I told him it wasn't possible but now I'm thinking I could be wrong.
Theoretically, there's a bunch of different things you can do on a running system - but as soon as the disk is checked from a linux livecd, in another machine, (...) there's nothing you can do to mask the fact that there's stuff on the disk.

His best bet for safety would be TrueCrypt, but that's probably more than he wants/needs, and has some problems of it's own :)
- carpe noctem

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23 AM »

It seems to me that finding out why he wants to do this would go a long way toward helping us suggest a way to accomplish his goal.

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 11:55 PM »
His best bet for safety would be TrueCrypt, but that's probably more than he wants/needs, and has some problems of it's own :)
I suggested this to him and he was overly ecstatic that he could do this. I guess this is more proof that consumers don't really know what they want.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:42 AM »
I suggested this to him and he was overly ecstatic that he could do this. I guess this is more proof that consumers don't really know what they want.
Amen to that :)
- carpe noctem